Let's Talk Movies! #21...Oscar Bait, Christmas Movies, "Bad" Movies You Loved......)

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by PeterG, Nov 26, 2012.

?

Which Of These New Movies Interest You? (Vote For As Many As You Like)

1. December 7 – Deadfall (Crime drama with Eric Bana and Olivia Wilde)

5 vote(s)
    6.3%
  2. December 14 - The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (Fantasy with Ian McKellen...)

46 vote(s)
    58.2%
  3. December 19 - The Guilt Trip (Comedy with Barbra Streisand, Seth Rogen, Adam Scott and Colin Hanks)

9 vote(s)
    11.4%
  4. December 19 - Monsters, Inc. 3D (Animated with John Goodman, Billy Crystal, etc.)

8 vote(s)
    10.1%
  5. December 19 - Zero Dark Thirty (Action with Chris Pratt, Joel Edgerton, Jessica Chastain, etc.)

17 vote(s)
    21.5%
  6. December 21 - This Is 40 (Comedy with Paul Rudd, Melissa McCarthy and John Lithgow)

10 vote(s)
    12.7%
  7. December 21 - The Impossible (Action with Naomi Watts and Ewan McGregor)

12 vote(s)
    15.2%
  8. December 25 - Django Unchained (Western with Leonardo DiCaprio, Jamie Foxx, Christoph Waltz)

23 vote(s)
    29.1%
  9. December 25 - Les Misérables (Musical with Hugh Jackman, Russell Crowe, Anne Hathaway)

62 vote(s)
    78.5%
  10. December 28 - Promised Land (Drama with Matt Damon, John Krasinski and Frances McDormand)

11 vote(s)
    13.9%
  11. February 8 - Identity Thief (Comedy with Jason Bateman, Melissa McCarthy and Jon Favreau)

10 vote(s)
    12.7%
  12. February 14 - A Good Day to Die Hard (Action with Bruce Willis and Cole Hauser)

9 vote(s)
    11.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

Helen Hunt? Now that's a name I haven't heard since the series finale of Mad About You.

2. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

If Zero Dark Thirty is anything like The Hurt Locker, I hope something like Beasts of the Souther Wild of Life of Pi (or even Les Miserables) takes the top prize. The more I think about it, the more I think that Avatar should have beaten The Hurt Locker. While The Hurt Locker was good, it wasn't so much superior to many other war movies that have been made. Avatar is unlike anything that had ever come before it. And if Avatar didn't win best picture, then Precious should have. Then District 9, then An Education. And then probably Up In The Air...and then The Hurt Locker.

Do we all agree that The Hurt Locker was the sixth best picture of 2009? :D

3. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

No. I thought it was reasonable for the Academy to choose The Hurt Locker. It was well-directed, and understood why it was critically-acclaimed. I personally would have chosen Inglorious Basterds, then A Serious Man, then Up in the Air over The Hurt Locker, but it wasn't a robbery by any means.

Avatar was on the lower-tier with the other Best Picture nominees for me, with the last one being that horrible movie The Blind Side which should not have been mentioned at Oscar time at all.

However, I also would have nominated Where the Wild Things Are, so I don't know if that makes people wonder about my taste in film.

smurfy and (deleted member) like this.
  4. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

I loooooooved that movie! :cheer2:

5. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

I thought Hurt Locker was a good picture, but definitely not the best picture of 2009. That should have been Avatar. As you said, it was unlike anything ever made before it. I hated 'the education', and did not see Precious and District 9. UP in the air was good but definitely not the best picture, just like Hurt Locker. At least UP in the air had a stronger story; IMO Hurt Locker was more like a documentary, even though there was a central character that went through some emotions. I watched HL on DVD, and Avatar in IMAX, so it's possible that the impact of HL on me was considerably weaker.

6. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

My favorite pic that year was Up In The Air, actually, then Pixar's Up, then Avatar, then An Education, then District 9... and then The Hurt Locker. Not a huge fan of Precious. Actually, I think I preferred Inglourious Basterds to The Hurt Locker, too, though Christoph Waltz blew my mind so entirely I have a had time separating my love for his performance from my love for the picture itself :lol:

And A Serious Man was wonderful, too.

I was so dismayed when THL won that year.

7. Vash01

Pixar's 'UP' was a beautiful movie. I would have placed it second overall to Avatar that year. Storywise, 'UP' was the best.

8. jenny12

jenny12 Well-Known Member

I was fine with The Hurt Locker win, but I would've been fine with a District 9 win. Avatar was impressive technically, but the storyline just boiled down to Pocahontas with a some in-your-face Iraq war references thrown in. The Hurt Locker wasn't a extraordinary film, but IMO deserving compared to its competition from that year.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  9. emason

emason Well-Known Member

Up in the Air gets my voted for most over-rated movie of that year. I hated that movie. Thought An Education was a big disappointment. Confess to not having seen Avatar, Precious, The Hurt Locker, Inglorious Basterds, or The Blind Side and don't care what they did or didn't win.

Loved Where The Wild Things Are and A Single Man.

10. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

Ita! I am surprised at how many "children's" films made after 2000 that I love over and above more adult fare. Of course one could argue that "Up" is very adult---especially the first ten minutes. Great movie...

Vash01 and (deleted member) like this.
  11. emason

emason Well-Known Member

Saw Rise of the Guardians (3D) today. LOVED it.

12. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

So when was the last time I told y'all that you just HAD to see a certain movie. I've given some big thumbs up to a number of movies, but I think it's been almost a year since I told you you HAD to see something. Well, it's that time again. :cheer:

Here's the trailer for "The Girl In The Park": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vZy_88gf3o

This trailer is kinda mis-leading because the movie isn't that dark or that thriller-ish although it does have moments of that for sure. But this is the kind of movie that I wish I had written or been a part of creating. I've tried writing some stories that would make more short films, but I haven't completed anything. This movie represents what I hope to acheive some day. It is so wonderful!!! I'm real close to adding Sigourney Weaver to my list of "I'll see her in ANY movie" actors. "The Girl In The Park" also stars Kate Bosworth, Alessandro Nivola, Keri Russell, Joanna Gleason and Elias Koteas. I want a report back from each and every one of you once you've seen this movie. :D

13. peibeck

peibeck Letting Poje be on top

I must be the only person who found "Avatar" completely over-rated. The 3-D was amazing, but I found the story so pedestrian. In fact, I'd consider it one of James Cameron's weakest movies. :shuffle: "Up" was by far my favorite movie that year, but I thought "Hurt Locker" was amazing too - definitely intense and a compelling central figure at the core of the story.

Meanwhile, http://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...-film-critics-awards-20121209,0,1586293.story "Amour" wins LA Film Critics award for Best Film, but "The Master" wins most awards, including director, actor and supporting actress.

14. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

No you are not. I found it predictable, formulaic, and a tad boring but very attractive to look at.

15. Vash01

I have met several people that did not like Avatar, and loved Hurt Locker. However, I liked both, and liked Avatar more than HL.

The LA critics awards are surprising. No award for Lincoln? Not even a runner up?

16. peibeck

peibeck Letting Poje be on top

The last several years, the LA Film Critics awards have not been very good predictors for Oscar glory.

17. jenny12

jenny12 Well-Known Member

I think a lot of people agree with you. Many critics of the film complained about the simplistic storyline which was covered up by great technical effects. I thought of that year Hurt Locker, District 9, or my personal favorite Inglorious Basterds were far more deserving films than Avatar.

18. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

I don't recall anyone claiming to have paid big bucks to see Avatar in the theater was because of the great story telling. People paid for the amazing 3-D experience and on that note, Avatar delivered. Whether one hated the underlying story or not, I didn't think it reduced the overall enjoyment of the film for the majority of people; There were enough action sequences, visual stimulation and WOW 3-D moments sprinkled throughout the film for the public to feel like they got their money worth. I wasn't bored by it.

19. Vash01

I saw it in IMAX and loved it! I definitely got my money's worth. The visuals were creative, artistic. I did not think the story was bad/lacking either. The idea of a scientific experiment gone awry or that of earthlings looking down on anyone that is different is not new, but it was well developed and well presented. It does not mean that I don't other kinds of movies. Movies are a visual medium, first of all. I always prefer those with a strong story and less emphasis on visuals, but Avatar was done so well that I did not care too much about the lack of character development, which was the only real weakness I saw in the story. The gorgeous visuals made up for it.

20. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

Saw it last week and loved it too. It's funny, cute and quirky. Somehow along the way I became super invested and was really rooting for the two main characters

21. Vash01

Silver lining was a very predictable story, but I enjoyed the movie. It was well done. I don't see it as a Best picture Oscar contender, however.

22. martian_girl

martian_girl New Member

The AFI Top Ten:

Zero Dark Thirty
    Lincoln
    Argo
    Beasts of the Southern Wild
    Django Unchained
    The Dark Knight Rises
    Les Miserables
    Life of Pi
    Moonrise Kingdom
    Silver Linings Playbook

23. smurfy

smurfy Well-Known Member

I saw 'Hitchcock' this past weekend. I had heard so no great things, but I enjoyed it. Nice entertaining movie -interesting story about the making of Psycho and Hitchcock's relationship with his wife - a nice marriage in Hollywood. Everyone was very good, especially Mirren. Janet Leigh came across like a really sweet person. It took me awhile to recognize Toni Collette. The meetings Hitchcock had with the ratings board were amusing - things sure have changed.

24. Vash01

Hitchcock and many of those listed by martian-girl are on my 'to see' list. This is such a great time of the year!

25. Alixana

Alixana who is on vacation!!

Imo, it was a fairly realistic portrayal of a person with bi-polar disorder up till one specific scene.
    where Bradley Cooper realizes that Jennifer Lawrence wrote the letter that supposedly came from his estranged wife
    I liked the movie overall but was disappointed that they caved and turned the last 20 minutes into a rom com.

26. Sofia Alexandra

Sofia Alexandra Well-Known Member

In exactly 24 hours I'll be sitting in a movie theatre, the lights will dim, a hush will fall - and The Hobbit will begin.

27. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

My guess is that the house will be packed...and there may be a peep or two in the midst of that hush! :lol:

28. Vash01

Yesterday I found out that Hobbit is going to be a trilogy, and not just one movie. I am not thrilled about this. I hate having to wait for 3 installments of a story. I was not crazy about the LOTR trilogy either.

29. topaz

topaz Well-Known Member

I saw Lincoln this weekend. Incredibly good movie.

I saw Skyfall a few weeks ago and loved it. Daniel Craig is just wonderful as Bond. He's made the role his own. He's a different kind of Bond, the most physical Bond ever, imo.

30. Vash01

If Skyfall gets a Best picture Oscar nomination, will it be the first ever for a James Bond movie?