Let's Talk Movies! #21...Oscar Bait, Christmas Movies, "Bad" Movies You Loved......)

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by PeterG, Nov 26, 2012.

?

Which Of These New Movies Interest You? (Vote For As Many As You Like)

1. December 7 – Deadfall (Crime drama with Eric Bana and Olivia Wilde)

5 vote(s)
    6.3%
  2. December 14 - The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (Fantasy with Ian McKellen...)

46 vote(s)
    58.2%
  3. December 19 - The Guilt Trip (Comedy with Barbra Streisand, Seth Rogen, Adam Scott and Colin Hanks)

9 vote(s)
    11.4%
  4. December 19 - Monsters, Inc. 3D (Animated with John Goodman, Billy Crystal, etc.)

8 vote(s)
    10.1%
  5. December 19 - Zero Dark Thirty (Action with Chris Pratt, Joel Edgerton, Jessica Chastain, etc.)

17 vote(s)
    21.5%
  6. December 21 - This Is 40 (Comedy with Paul Rudd, Melissa McCarthy and John Lithgow)

10 vote(s)
    12.7%
  7. December 21 - The Impossible (Action with Naomi Watts and Ewan McGregor)

12 vote(s)
    15.2%
  8. December 25 - Django Unchained (Western with Leonardo DiCaprio, Jamie Foxx, Christoph Waltz)

23 vote(s)
    29.1%
  9. December 25 - Les Misérables (Musical with Hugh Jackman, Russell Crowe, Anne Hathaway)

62 vote(s)
    78.5%
  10. December 28 - Promised Land (Drama with Matt Damon, John Krasinski and Frances McDormand)

11 vote(s)
    13.9%
  11. February 8 - Identity Thief (Comedy with Jason Bateman, Melissa McCarthy and Jon Favreau)

10 vote(s)
    12.7%
  12. February 14 - A Good Day to Die Hard (Action with Bruce Willis and Cole Hauser)

9 vote(s)
    11.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

IIRC, they don't name their shortlist / nominees, do they? Which would mean they're "up against" every other performance/film that came out this year. I agree Weisz is somewhat of a surprise, tho it's refreshing to see an award for a film that came out months ago instead of during Oscar bait season. I thought her performance was pretty great (even if the film wasn't), but as I haven't seen any of the Oscar-rumoured films yet it's hard to compare. And I haven't seen Magic Mike, but I though McConaughey was fabulous in Bernie.

The NY Film Critics also do things differently in that actors are given awards for more than one film within a single year. So last year Jessica Chastain won best supporting for her combined work in Tree of Life, The Help, and Take Shelter (tho, oddly enough, not Coriolanus).
  2. peibeck

peibeck Left in the Kiss-n-Cry

Carrying on from the previous post... (and trying to ignore that PeterG didn't like "The Artist" :drama: ), other upcoming film award announcements:

12/5 National Board of Review (winners and top 10 movies)
    12/7 LA Film Critics winners announced
    12/10 AFI (American Film Institute) winners announced
    12/11 Critics Choice nominations
    12/12 SAG (Screen Actors Guild) noms
    12/13 Golden Globe nominations

1/3 Writers Guild, Producers Guild and Art Directors Guild announce their nominees
    1/5 Int'l Society of Film Critics Awards
    1/8 Directors Guild nominations
    1/10 Oscar nominations
    PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  3. peibeck

They don't generally announce it, but other potential winners often get discussed.

NYFCC members J. Hoberman and Lou Lumenick dish marathon voting

http://www.goldderby.com/news/

It talks about how Weisz got her win, and how "Beasts of the Southern Wild" which was the frontrunner for Best First Film ended up losing. Perhaps most surprising, Spielberg out in the first round of balloting by getting no votes for Best Director, despite strong support for the film overall.
  4. martian_girl

martian_girl New Member

Les Miserables' leads with 10 Satellite Award nominations

The Major Categories:

FILM

BEST PICTURE
    “Argo”
    “Beasts Of The Southern Wild”
    “Life Of Pi”
    “Lincoln”
    “Les Misérables”
    “Moonrise Kingdom”
    “The Sessions”
    “Silver Linings Playbook”
    “Skyfall”
    “Zero Dark Thirty”

BEST DIRECTOR
    Ben Affleck, “Argo”
    Steven Spielberg, “Lincoln”
    Kim Ki-duk, “Pieta“
    Ben Lewin, “The Sessions”
    David O. Russell, “Silver Linings Playbook”
    Kathryn Bigelow, “Zero Dark Thirty”

BEST ACTRESS
    Laura Birn, “Purge”
    Jessica Chastain, “Zero Dark Thirty”
    Emilie Dequenne, “Our Children”
    Keira Knightley, “Anna Karenina”
    Jennifer Lawrence, “Silver Linings Playbook”
    Laura Linney, “Hyde Park On Hudson”
    Emmanuelle Riva, “Amour”

BEST ACTOR
    Bradley Cooper, “Silver Linings Playbook”
    Daniel Day-Lewis, “Lincoln”
    John Hawkes, “The Sessions”
    Hugh Jackman, “Les Misérables”
    Joaquin Phoenix, “The Master”
    Omar Sy, “The Intouchables”
    Denzel Washington, “Flight”

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
    Amy Adams, “The Master”
    Samantha Barks, “Les Miserables“
    Judi Dench, “Skyfall”
    Helene Florent, “Café De Flore”
    Anne Hathaway, “Les Misérables”
    Helen Hunt, “The Sessions”

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
    Javier Bardem, “Skyfall”
    Robert De Niro, “Silver Linings Playbook”
    John Goodman, “Flight”
    Philip Seymour Hoffman, “The Master”
    Tommy Lee Jones, “Lincoln”
    Eddie Redmayne, “Les Misérables”
  5. peibeck

NATIONAL BOARD OF REVIEW AWARD TO "ZERO DARK THIRTY"

Best Film: ZERO DARK THIRTY
    Best Director: Kathryn Bigelow, ZERO DARK THIRTY
    Best Actor: Bradley Cooper, SILVER LININGS PLAYBOOK
    Best Actress: Jessica Chastain, ZERO DARK THIRTY
    Best Supporting Actor: Leonardo DiCaprio, DJANGO UNCHAINED
    Best Supporting Actress: Ann Dowd, COMPLIANCE
    Best Original Screenplay: Rian Johnson, LOOPER
    Best Adapted Screenplay: David O. Russell, SILVER LININGS PLAYBOOK
    Best Animated Feature: WRECK-IT RALPH
    Special Achievement in Filmmaking: Ben Affleck, ARGO
    Breakthrough Actor: Tom Holland, THE IMPOSSIBLE
    Breakthrough Actress: Quvenzhané Wallis, BEASTS OF THE SOUTHERN WILD
    Best Directorial Debut: Benh Zeitlin, BEASTS OF THE SOUTHERN WILD
    Best Foreign Language Film: AMOUR
    Best Documentary: SEARCHING FOR SUGARMAN
    William K. Everson Film History Award: 50 YEARS OF BOND FILMS
    Best Ensemble: LES MISÉRABLES
    Spotlight Award: John Goodman (ARGO, FLIGHT, PARANORMAN, TROUBLE WITH THE CURVE)
    NBR Freedom of Expression Award: CENTRAL PARK FIVE
    NBR Freedom of Expression Award: PROMISED LAND
    Top Films
    (in alphabetical order)
    ARGO
    BEASTS OF THE SOUTHERN WILD
    DJANGO UNCHAINED
    LES MISÉRABLES
    LINCOLN
    LOOPER
    THE PERKS OF BEING A WALLFLOWER
    PROMISED LAND
    SILVER LININGS PLAYBOOK
  6. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

I wonder if this is going to be a repeat of The Hurt Locker and sweep all the critics awards to the point that not even Oscar can ignore it. Is there a feel-good, easily digestible film that the Academy is going to love instead? The last time a movie swept all the critics' awards but lost the guild awards and the Oscar is when The Social Network lost to that BBC movie with a bigger budget...I mean The King's Speech.
  7. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

I know they love the idea of Ben Affleck's comeback but I don't know if they love "Argo" enough for a best picture award.
  8. Spareoom

Spareoom Well-Known Member

Well, Silver Linings Playbook is feel-good in the sense that it has it's moments and ends on a good note, but I don't think it's a Best Picture winner. Nominated for sure, but not a winner.

I'm surprised Zero Dark Thirty is getting so many noms; I was under the impression that it wasn't doing that well critically? Guess I got my info wrong.
  9. jenny12

jenny12 Well-Known Member

Zero Dark Thirty is currently 100% positive reviews on Rotten Tomatoes, but it is still early. It seems to be setting itself up as the early critics' favorite, although that hasn't been an indication of how the Oscars have recently gone with more feel good/simpler movies like The King's Speech or The Artist recently winning.
  10. smurfy

smurfy Well-Known Member

11. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

Lincoln should be a good challenger to ZDT, but it really should be the front runner, not a challenger. I would hate to see a repeat of the Hurt Locker win.

BTW, years ago, I think LA Confidential won a lot of critics awards, but the Oscar went to Titanic.
  12. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

13. emason

emason Well-Known Member

Well, I thought the performances in Lincoln were terrific, but the overall impact of the movie was not so strong. I give it a B+ and don't think it's best picture material at all. It had no staying power with me; it's been a week since I saw it and I barely remember it. Frankly, I thought Skyfall was a better movie.
  14. DarrellH

DarrellH New Member

The Oscars traditional like British films, and feel good ones. The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel fits that mold.
    But also, they seem to have short memories. Pictures that debut earlier in the year don't usually have the steam to keep going by the time ballots are sent out.
  15. VIETgrlTerifa

I also think a lot of it has to do with the fact that movies' impact on the audience losing its luster whereas movies that released later have an advantage in that the Academy voters haven't had time to sort of "get over" the movies that are released later. Also, studios tend to save their best for this season so a film (that's not seen as holiday filler) that wants to be taken seriously tend to get released during the awards season.

I did wonder if the advent of DVD and internet streaming sort of lessened the impact of later released films having the absolute advantage they did before or if its impact is marginal at best.

For those of you who were award aficionados in the past, was it always like this or did the Miramax uber Oscar-campaigning of the 90s sort of create this culture?

I do hope this year is competitive, but usually people don't tune in when there's no grand epic to sweep the awards. People like seeing movies like Titanic take it all because as much as I didn't like the movie, I can't deny that the general public felt a strong connection to it.
  16. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

I don't see Best Exotic making the Oscar cut. Well, maybe a supporting acting nom or two. Not because of how long ago it came out, but because it just isn't an "Oscar" movie. It's a British feel-good in the same vein as The Full Monty, Calendar Girls, Waking Ned Devine, etc. And it's more comedy than drama, and comedies don't win Oscars. It might make the nomination list, now that they have 10 slots to fill ... but zero chance of winning.

It doesn't compare to The King's Speech. That was an "Oscar" film.
  17. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

ITA about Marigold, but comedies have won the Oscar in very rare cases. Shakespeare in love, for example.
  18. DarrellH

DarrellH New Member

I'm not saying Marigold would win. I'm just saying it hits all the check marks for the type of movie that Oscars seem to prefer. It is just my example of a move from this year. I would not be surprised to see Maggie Smith nominated, though. Maybe cinematography, too.
  19. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

I don't know if Miramax started the uber-campaigns but I certainly remember a lot of ruffled feathers regarding the campaigns when "Shakespeare In Love" won the Oscar beating out "Saving Private Ryan." I wonder if there is a good book or magazine article that details the history of Oscar campaigns.

http://youtu.be/9jFZOicwtBw (Star Trek teaser---looks good!) This has nothing to do with the discussion I just enjoyed this preview.
  20. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

I saw The Sessions today. It was very good. Should expect Oscar noms for John Hawke and Helen Hunt. I did not know this was based on a real life character Mark O'Brian, till I saw the end credits.
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2012
  21. VIETgrlTerifa

Helen Hunt? Now that's a name I haven't heard since the series finale of Mad About You.
  22. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

If Zero Dark Thirty is anything like The Hurt Locker, I hope something like Beasts of the Souther Wild of Life of Pi (or even Les Miserables) takes the top prize. The more I think about it, the more I think that Avatar should have beaten The Hurt Locker. While The Hurt Locker was good, it wasn't so much superior to many other war movies that have been made. Avatar is unlike anything that had ever come before it. And if Avatar didn't win best picture, then Precious should have. Then District 9, then An Education. And then probably Up In The Air...and then The Hurt Locker.

Do we all agree that The Hurt Locker was the sixth best picture of 2009? :D
  23. VIETgrlTerifa

No. I thought it was reasonable for the Academy to choose The Hurt Locker. It was well-directed, and understood why it was critically-acclaimed. I personally would have chosen Inglorious Basterds, then A Serious Man, then Up in the Air over The Hurt Locker, but it wasn't a robbery by any means.

Avatar was on the lower-tier with the other Best Picture nominees for me, with the last one being that horrible movie The Blind Side which should not have been mentioned at Oscar time at all.

However, I also would have nominated Where the Wild Things Are, so I don't know if that makes people wonder about my taste in film.
    smurfy and (deleted member) like this.
  24. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

I loooooooved that movie! :cheer2:
  25. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

I thought Hurt Locker was a good picture, but definitely not the best picture of 2009. That should have been Avatar. As you said, it was unlike anything ever made before it. I hated 'the education', and did not see Precious and District 9. UP in the air was good but definitely not the best picture, just like Hurt Locker. At least UP in the air had a stronger story; IMO Hurt Locker was more like a documentary, even though there was a central character that went through some emotions. I watched HL on DVD, and Avatar in IMAX, so it's possible that the impact of HL on me was considerably weaker.
  26. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

My favorite pic that year was Up In The Air, actually, then Pixar's Up, then Avatar, then An Education, then District 9... and then The Hurt Locker. Not a huge fan of Precious. Actually, I think I preferred Inglourious Basterds to The Hurt Locker, too, though Christoph Waltz blew my mind so entirely I have a had time separating my love for his performance from my love for the picture itself :lol:

And A Serious Man was wonderful, too.

I was so dismayed when THL won that year.
  27. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

Pixar's 'UP' was a beautiful movie. I would have placed it second overall to Avatar that year. Storywise, 'UP' was the best.
  28. jenny12

I was fine with The Hurt Locker win, but I would've been fine with a District 9 win. Avatar was impressive technically, but the storyline just boiled down to Pocahontas with a some in-your-face Iraq war references thrown in. The Hurt Locker wasn't a extraordinary film, but IMO deserving compared to its competition from that year.
  29. emason

emason Well-Known Member

Up in the Air gets my voted for most over-rated movie of that year. I hated that movie. Thought An Education was a big disappointment. Confess to not having seen Avatar, Precious, The Hurt Locker, Inglorious Basterds, or The Blind Side and don't care what they did or didn't win.

Loved Where The Wild Things Are and A Single Man.
  30. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

Ita! I am surprised at how many "children's" films made after 2000 that I love over and above more adult fare. Of course one could argue that "Up" is very adult---especially the first ten minutes. Great movie...
    Vash01 and (deleted member) like this.
  31. emason

emason Well-Known Member

Saw Rise of the Guardians (3D) today. LOVED it.
  32. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

So when was the last time I told y'all that you just HAD to see a certain movie. I've given some big thumbs up to a number of movies, but I think it's been almost a year since I told you you HAD to see something. Well, it's that time again. :cheer:

Here's the trailer for "The Girl In The Park": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vZy_88gf3o

This trailer is kinda mis-leading because the movie isn't that dark or that thriller-ish although it does have moments of that for sure. But this is the kind of movie that I wish I had written or been a part of creating. I've tried writing some stories that would make more short films, but I haven't completed anything. This movie represents what I hope to acheive some day. It is so wonderful!!! I'm real close to adding Sigourney Weaver to my list of "I'll see her in ANY movie" actors. "The Girl In The Park" also stars Kate Bosworth, Alessandro Nivola, Keri Russell, Joanna Gleason and Elias Koteas. I want a report back from each and every one of you once you've seen this movie. :D
  33. peibeck

I must be the only person who found "Avatar" completely over-rated. The 3-D was amazing, but I found the story so pedestrian. In fact, I'd consider it one of James Cameron's weakest movies. :shuffle: "Up" was by far my favorite movie that year, but I thought "Hurt Locker" was amazing too - definitely intense and a compelling central figure at the core of the story.

Meanwhile, http://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...-film-critics-awards-20121209,0,1586293.story "Amour" wins LA Film Critics award for Best Film, but "The Master" wins most awards, including director, actor and supporting actress.
  34. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

No you are not. I found it predictable, formulaic, and a tad boring but very attractive to look at.
  35. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

I have met several people that did not like Avatar, and loved Hurt Locker. However, I liked both, and liked Avatar more than HL.

The LA critics awards are surprising. No award for Lincoln? Not even a runner up?
  36. peibeck

The last several years, the LA Film Critics awards have not been very good predictors for Oscar glory.
  37. jenny12

I think a lot of people agree with you. Many critics of the film complained about the simplistic storyline which was covered up by great technical effects. I thought of that year Hurt Locker, District 9, or my personal favorite Inglorious Basterds were far more deserving films than Avatar.
  38. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

I don't recall anyone claiming to have paid big bucks to see Avatar in the theater was because of the great story telling. People paid for the amazing 3-D experience and on that note, Avatar delivered. Whether one hated the underlying story or not, I didn't think it reduced the overall enjoyment of the film for the majority of people; There were enough action sequences, visual stimulation and WOW 3-D moments sprinkled throughout the film for the public to feel like they got their money worth. I wasn't bored by it.
  39. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

I saw it in IMAX and loved it! I definitely got my money's worth. The visuals were creative, artistic. I did not think the story was bad/lacking either. The idea of a scientific experiment gone awry or that of earthlings looking down on anyone that is different is not new, but it was well developed and well presented. It does not mean that I don't other kinds of movies. Movies are a visual medium, first of all. I always prefer those with a strong story and less emphasis on visuals, but Avatar was done so well that I did not care too much about the lack of character development, which was the only real weakness I saw in the story. The gorgeous visuals made up for it.
  40. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

Saw it last week and loved it too. It's funny, cute and quirky. Somehow along the way I became super invested and was really rooting for the two main characters