Let's talk footie shall we?! :)

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Buzz, Jan 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

I thought it would be a good idea to start a thread where fans like me could discuss the bueatiful game. LOL Now to start with...

- Manchester United signed two young Serbians Zoran Tosic and Adem Ljajic
    - Rubin Kazan won the Russian championships and will be in next year's CL
    - Everton will be without Louis Saha, he joins teammate Yakubu on injury list
    - Liverpool leads the EPL and is in a position to win the title for the first time in a loooong time!
    - Tottenham Hotspurs is on the bubble for relegation
    - Liverpool's skipper Steven Gerrard got into trouble after a bar room brawl.
    - 1st round K.O. of the CL starts on 24/02
    - CL's top scorers so far are: Messi, Gerrard, Klose, Benzema
    - David Beckham is on loan to Milan until March
    - UEFA Cup also picks up in late Feburary
    - UEFA U21 2011 qualification starts this year
    - The rumours of an Arshavin transfer to Arsenal are heating up again
    - Maurinho says Ibrahimovic is a better player than Ronaldo and deserved the golden ball award. LOL
    - Inter Milan tops Serie A with 3 out the 5 teams accused of match fixing in 2005 standing just behind them in 2,3, & 4 places.
  2. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

All I care about is David Beckham...naked...in my bedroom..or his.. :grope:
  3. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

No accounting for taste.... LOL
  4. fragoletta

fragoletta New Member

Isn't Man U 7pts behind but also 2 games less? Anyway, a lot of things can change in the spring, especially considering the CL/UEFA Cup matches - some teams will have more than one battle to fight and may get more tired than others. Personally, I expect Manchester to concentrate on the CL (they'll try to become the first team to win it back-to-back since it's called CL)...

:blah: He is a real captain for his teammates on the field and I was :eek: when I found out...5 (or 6?) vs 1 person? It doesn't take a lot of courage ...

I don't see any other reason for this than selling some t-shirts :bribe: As a big fan of Milan I'm a little disappointed...I mean, when will we get a player who isn't in the retiring age?

It's Maurinho! Of course he'll say something like that! :D Man, I love his style...IMO Ibra is soooo overrated...plus he has a bad personality and football is a team sport...I would never want him in my team, no matter how good he is with the ball...I don't like C. Ronaldo much either but he deserved that golden ball - basically he pulled Manchester and lead them to the success all by himself.

This year it's time for Milan to win the scudetto...and we are not even playing CL :( so no more excuses.
  5. KHenry14

KHenry14 Well-Known Member

Buzz, the big news for us Yanks is Landon Donovan going out on loan to Bayern Munich. Donovan badly wants to play in Europe, so this is his big chance to impress. Especially since his time spent at Leverkusen was such a disaster. But one wonders how much playing time he'll see with the likes of Toni and Klose there already....
  6. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Great news for him and I hope he knocks their socks off!!! :respec:
  7. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Manchester City is making moves for Kaka but the Brazilian says he is not interested in leaving Milan.
  8. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Micheal Essien, Didier Drogba, and Ahmed Hassan are amoung those who are made the short list for Confederation of Africa Football of the year.
  9. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

10. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Shay Given has joined Manchester City from Newcastle. Manchester City is on a spending spree following the team transfer of ownership to a Abu Dhabi based company. They have also signed: Craig Bellamy, Nigel De Jong, Wayne Bridge, but failed to sign Kaka. Meanwhile Brazilian striker Guilherme will go Dynamo Kiev. The transfer window closes on MOnday I believe.
  11. NeilJLeonard

NeilJLeonard Well-Known Member

Monday at noon in the US, probably the same in Canada. There are rumors about doing away with the window concept & going to a 12 month/365 day window. We'll see if that comes to pass.

NJL (...and there is a persistent rumor that Miami will get an MLS franchise to begin playing in the 2010 season alongside a new, already accepted, Philadelphia franchise. The latest rumor, reported in the Spanish press, is that the outfit that will provide the management team, a group of Catalan unknowns called FC Barcelona, are reviewing a draft of a franchise contract now and an announcement about the MiamiMLS franchise should be made on or before February 15, 2009. The $40,000,000 franchise fee is being paid by Bolivian/Miami billionaire Marcelo Claure. He will be the franchise holder & Barca will manage the team. We'll see about this, too...;) ...)
  12. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Good luck to them! Nice to see the MLS growing.

Just one more bit of transfer news and that is; Arsenal has finally signed Russian Andrei Ashavin. Arsenal is not doing so well right now. Manchester United on the other hand is once again on top and fighting them all the way is Liverpool. According to Goal.com Christiano Ronaldo has signed a contract with Real Madrid, and supposed to start playing with them next summer. If true I wish him all the luck. He truely is a very gifted young man.
  13. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

David Beckham is reportedly interested in staying with AC Milan. But he still has 2 years left on his contract with LA Galaxy.
  14. NeilJLeonard

In CONCACAF Final WC 2010 qualifying:
    USA 2 - 0 Mexico -
    Yes, the USA has a thing about beating Mexico by this score in Columbus, OH. I think this is the 3rd or 4th time they've done it. USA starts off the 10 game hex with 3 points. I think they'll need about 20 points to insure a trip to South Africa in 2010. This is a very good start....:D

NJL (...:cheer::cheer2::40beers::encore::kickass: ...)

ETA: Also -
    El Salvador 2 - 2 TnT
    Costa Rica 2 - 0 Honduras

The hex after round 1 is:

USA..................3 Points
    Costa Rica..........3
    El Salvador.........1
    TnT...................1
    Honduras............0
    Mexico...............0

Only 9 more rounds to go....;)
  15. KHenry14

Another 2-nil win for the USA over the Tri's... Somehow I think we should always play them in Columbus in February!

Now if we could just get a win in Azteca....
  16. NeilJLeonard

We'll get a win there when they get a win in Columbus...:D
  17. deltask8er

deltask8er New Member

http://msn.foxsports.com/soccer/sto...id-Beckham-to-remain-with-the-Galaxy?MSNHPHMA

Based on watching the first match with AC Milan, it looked like he truly was enjoying playing there. And Milan is a fashion capital, so I could see why his wife would like it there, too. :glamor:
  18. 4rkidz

4rkidz GPF Barcelona here I come

:cheer:L I V E R P O O L :cheer:

:40beers:
  19. NeilJLeonard

There will not be a Miami team in MLS. FC Barcelona pulled the plug for financial reasons. Claure can't, or wont, go it alone. MLS has 5 or 6 other cities bidding, so, adios Miami.

The problem with all this is that MiamiMLS was the front runner until last week when FC Barcelona discovered that the USA was having a bit of a financial downturn and that FC Barcelona may not make the millions of $$$ they thought they'd make. This was after reps from both Barca & MiamiMLS had told local people that the franchise is in the bag. There are more than a few folks here that are very pissed at both Barca & Claure.

To make it worse, our minor league USL-1 team, Miami FC, may die on the 8th or 9th of March. Their Brazilian owners, Traffic Sports, requires that the team, that rarely draws 2,000 people to a game, come up with 5,000 season tickets sold by March 8th or TS will close down operations in Miami & either drop out of USL or move to another city next year.

Maybe the nice folks in South Florida will learn that you've gotta have local ownership. You can't depend on a foreign sugar daddy to carry you.

NJL (of course, if Marcelo Claure loves the sport & Miami as much as he says he does, maybe he'll help Miami FC survive...whatever that may cost him it has to be less that the $40,000,000 franchise fee that MLS was going to charge him, along with the $20,000,000 that would be needed to get the team up and running...but, for some reason, I do not think he'll do it...:( ...)
  20. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

I am sorry to hear that Miami will not be vying for that franchise because I think Miami is the best place for one. I know ottawa and cannot imagine there is room for another pro sports team, let alone a footie team since futbol is not very popular here.
  21. NeilJLeonard

Montreal did not hurt itself with 55K attending the CONCACAF Champions League playoff game there last week. Vancouver is still in the running. And St Louis. A few others, too. To be honest, I really do not care who they take now. All efforts here are to try to save Miami, FC from going under.

NJL
  22. KHenry14

Im surprised that St. Louis still doesn't have an MLS team, as it's been big on the sport going back many many years.

I think MLS needs to be real careful right now. With the economy in the tank, they should be real cautious about doing any expansion. The breakdown in Miami is indicative of this. They really don't want to lose franchises, especially new ones. So far they've done OK, as Toronto seems to be thriving, and Seattle seems to be on sound footing. But they need to be conservative about handing out new franchises unless they are certain about the finances and the prospects for a stadium.

They league doesn't really need to add franchises if you ask me.
  23. NeilJLeonard

St Louis has it's own $$$ problems, IIUC. As do others. In fact, none of them are really good for one reason or another. Miami's was the strongest overall until Barca got cold feet over the $40,000,000 Franchise Fee and $20,000,000 start-up expense.

I think your last sentence says it all. That may be the wisest thing to do for a few years until the economic mess straightens itself out. Seattle in this year, Philly in 2010, then no more teams until 2013 or 2014. Longer if needed.

MLS has lasted longer here than any other top league that I can recall and is improving over time. Taking the long view & not risking the league's existence is the primary concern, IMO. Make haste slowly to at least retain what we have.

NJL (of course transferring a team to another city may have to be done, I hear that Chivas USA is not that strong, and we're not so proud that we'd not welcome them to FIU Stadium....I'm sure that Mr Garber understands that...;)....In the meantime, we'll do our best to keep the Miami FC Blues alive in USL-1...)
  24. KHenry14

NJL, Chivas USA will always be the step-child to the Galaxy in LA. they draw about 40% less than the Galaxy, and frankly have a LOT of problems with their supporters groups keeping fans away.

Much like the Clippers and the Lakers, until Chivas moves out of the HDC and into their own building (Maybe in the OC?) they will never make any money nor grow the franchise. But I doubt that they would move out of California, as the whole point of the franchise is to draw on the Mexican fanbase. Which is another reason why they don't draw well. :rolleyes:

But I agree that overall, MLS is healthy. I just hope Garber doesn't get greedy.
  25. NeilJLeonard

Dumping Claure & Barca eliminates much of the fear about greed. Seemingly, it ran one way, towards Spain. And, the marvelous Mr Clare was invited to come and participate in USL-1 with Miami FC to keep the game alive in Miami. He declined. Wants to step away from the sport for a time. (I honestly don't blame him after the roller coaster ride he's had for the past 6 months, but he does not add any luster to his rep by doing it.) Of course, FIU's new stadium is not available to Miami FC. Guess they're not good enough, because when they asked they were turned down. FIU seemingly has no interest at all.

Welcome to Miami, where everyone is from somewhere else & that's where their heart is. Sounds like the perfect place for a revitalized Chivas...;)

NJL (BTW, expect the Marlin's Stadium to fail to get enough votes from the Miami City Commission to get the contracts signed...the remarkable demands being made by several commissioners are now beyond incredible..:( ..)
  26. KHenry14

St. Louis' MLS bid just got some help from Anheiser-Busch:

http://sports.yahoo.com/mls/news;_y...nyBvrYF?slug=ap-mls-stlouis&prov=ap&type=lgns

Not sure how much help this will be, but I'm certain Garber would like a larger relationship with the Budweiser people.

One also wonders if Garber is going to look at how well cities like St Louis support their new WPS team before he gives them a bid.

Off Topic, the new women's league is charging way too much for tickets if you ask me...
  27. NeilJLeonard

There is life for the Beautiful Game in Miami. Traffic Sports has decided to let USL1 side Miami FC play again this year. No players signed yet, no stadium contracted and the season starts in mid April. There will be some busy, busy people at Miami FC over the next few weeks, but I doubt they'll complain or be unhappy about it. After all, it is better to be busy than unemployed...;)

NJL (gonna have to buy me some tickets plus some Miami FC stuff to wear, too...GO BLUES! ...:biggrinbo ...)
  28. KHenry14

29. NeilJLeonard

Congrats to Vancouver. One more to go for 2011. Wonder who it will be.

NJL
  30. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Looks like there is a good possibility that 3 out of the 4 teams left in the CL this year will once again be from the EPL. That cannot be good for the competition but then again the best teams are in England so until the rest of Europe catches up, the EPL will continue to dominate the Champions League.
  31. NeilJLeonard

In CONCACAF WC 2010 qualifying:

Mexico 2 - 0 Costa Rica
    TnT 1 - 1 Honduras
    El Salvador 2 - 2 USA

Standings as of now:

USA.............4 points
    Mexico..........3
    Costa Rica.....3
    El Salvador....2
    TnT..............2
    Honduras.......1

Wednesday's Games:

USA v TnT
    Costa Rica v El Salvador
    Honduras v Mexico

NJL
  32. KHenry14

Ugly game by the USA side. Lots of bad performances, but the team was saved by a couple of good subs (Altidore, Torrez) and the gutsy Heyduk. This team badly missed Howard and Bocanegra, plus it needs a gut check by Beasley, Klesjian, Ching and Dempsey.

Good players play well every time out, not just when they feel like it.

If they don't thrash TnT this week I'll be VERY disapointed. :angryfire
  33. NeilJLeonard

Boca played, he was the USA Captain, but Gooch was out to injury. Guzan ain't Howard. Tim will be a welcome sight in net in Nashville.

And, El Sal took it to 'em for 75+ minutes. They then packed it in as won & depended on their acting ability, I've never seen so many "injurys" to one team in so short a time in my life, to carry the day (thus the 7 min added time). To the USA's credit they controlled the game to the end & scored 2 goals in less than 15 minutes to salvage a point from what could have been a disastrous defeat. The USA is supposed to be a better team than that, but none of these Central American road games are easy. Still, this had better be a wake up call to Bob Bradley & the squad to extract their head's from their asses and play.

I wonder who BB will play in Nashville on the 1st. As KH pointed out, some USA players really did not make the trip to EL Sal, even though they started. These guys are pros. That's unacceptable. We'll see.

NJL (FYI, Jonathan Boorstein will join the USA squad in Nashville....does this mean that Heath Pierce sits?)
  34. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

About 19 people were killed in a stampede just before a WC qualifier between Malawi and Ivory Coast. Apparently a crowd of people who did not have tickets tried to force their way into the stadium causing a gate to fall, and the following panic caused the stampede.

http://www.voanews.com/english/2009-03-30-voa51.cfm
  35. KHenry14

You are right Neil, Gooch was out, not Boca, but the point was the same, he was missed.

I think if Bornstein was to get a shot, this is a prime spot for him. Plus it's time for Bob Bradley to start Altidore and Torrez to see what they can do. Ching and DMB have been around and are known quantities, such as they are. A home game against TnT is a perfect spot to let these two show their stuff. Plus it might be time for Bradley to get over whatever it is he has against Freddie Adu and give him a shot too.

This team is transitioning, so we need to start playing the up and comers to see who's for real and who isn't. We found out with Eddie Johnson, so now lets find out with Altidore.
  36. NeilJLeonard

Altidore & Torres were key ingredients in the last 15 minutes of the El Sal game. According to a few folks it also took the USA up until then to get over it's stunned fear of the crowd. It was supposed to have been deafening on the field & team USA got rattled by it all - or at least that's the latest rumor....:D Still, you are correct, they've both earned a starting role for tonight. BB has got to do something to improve the team and these 2 were certainly part of the improved play toward the end in San Sal.

NJL (awaiting Wednesday to see what BB & crewe do....hoping for the best....;) ...)
  37. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

38. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

HEY! Since when have Maradonna been Argentina's coach?! :eek:
  39. KHenry14

Last November. Where you been Buzz?? :D

It remains to be seen if a guy who can't manage his own life can manage the fortunes of 20 top class players in a Footie crazed country. :rolleyes:
  40. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Buried under a rock apparently... :( Good luck to them both. Maradonna has had so many problems with drugs and such, I am not convince he will make a good coach.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.