Let's nitpick from figure skaters

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by ehdtkqorl123, Feb 1, 2013.

1. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

Why?

Also, I don't get the hate for OTB tights.

Are Edea's what Gracie wears? With the white heels? They are soooo distracting and ugly looking.

2. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

I want to see the judges disqualified one day for taking too long to do their scores.

3. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

I would rather have accuracy over speed.

4. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

:lol:

Anyway it is usually the technical panel that takes a long time, not the judges.

5. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

I was joking, because Aussie Willie thinks judges should throw out skaters like Oksana Baiul who take longer than one minute. ;)

6. Tony Wheeler

Tony Wheeler Well-Known Member

Is this a newer rule? I remember Sarah Meier was an offender of the minute rule a few seasons ago and they just started playing her music as soon as she went over the limit, even though she wasn't quite prepared.

7. skatak

skatak Well-Known Member

It's not something I hate, it's more something I've come to get use to... well, I do NOT appreciate skaters that seem unable to hold a landing jump after a jump for more than a few centimeters. They feel the need to do a counter backstroke (like if landing backward on the right outside edge, they will to a backstroke to the left), maybe not to fall splat.
    I've named it 'Kwan stroke', as she was the first on to do it regularly.

8. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

Hmmm not sure what this has to do with anything. And it is not the judges it is the referee :p

Not sure when it came in. A couple of years ago I think. It is in the current rules on Page 14 under Call to the Start
    http://www.isu.org/vsite/vfile/page/fileurl/0,11040,4844-206192-223415-177357-0-file,00.pdf

9. RobinA

RobinA Active Member

Lack of toe point, lack of toe point, lack of toe point. I KNOW modern skates don't allow for a great pointed toe as per ballet, but lately it seems more and more skaters aren't even trying, and it just looks ugly.

Shredded custumes, plastered smiles, ugly spins just to get points.

And finally, and this is not the skaters' fault, tots who can do a zillion rotations in the air who are touted as the next best thing. Anybody who has been around skating for more than, say, four years, knows that these spinners rarely, if ever, survive puberty, so GET OFF IT!

10. Aimless

Aimless New Member

Indeed---I was going to make this point if no one else had. It can't help the impression that the judges have and it's very tiresome and deflating for the audience.

11. kiss-n-cry

kiss-n-cry Team Brown

deleted

Last edited: Feb 6, 2013
  12. kiss-n-cry

kiss-n-cry Team Brown

That move is my biggest personal pet peeve! I believe it has been referred to as a cantilever or cossack position, but I can't remember for sure. It seemed to be more prevelant in ice dance, i.e B&B and Punsalan & Swallow (the race car FD from 1991). Just not attractive, at all, even it it fits the music. The only time I liked a skater using the move was Jeff Buttle in his Nagoyquatsi FP.

13. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

Besti squat, named for Natalia Bestemianova & Andre Bukin, who did lots of them.

I destest it, except when used as a base position for a man in a dance lift.

14. arakwafan2006

arakwafan2006 Active Member

YEEEEEEEEEEEESSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Akiko Suziki wears them as well with those crazy designs on them...