Let's celebrate the sandwich

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Aussie Willy, May 13, 2012.

1. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

It is 250 years since the invention of the sandwich. A cause for great celebration because I have one for lunch nearly every day. My favourite is roast beef or lamb with gravy in multi-grain bread. Although the meat has to be cooked just right - tender and pulls apart easily.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-18010424

2. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

My favorite: fresh (or buffala) mozzarella, tomato, basil, salt and pepper, a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar, on a baguette.

2nd favorite: corned beef (real deli) on rye, with Russian dressing and cole slaw.

Last edited: May 13, 2012
  3. KatieC

KatieC On hold

BLT! Bacon, lettuce and tomato, with Miracle Whip, salt and a little pepper. Toasted please. The folks that run the deli know me well. And it has to be side bacon, no other kind will do.

2nd choice: peanut butter and banana.

4. Holley Calmes

Holley Calmes Well-Known Member

Tuna salad on whole wheat with black olives and jalapenos!

5. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

Banh Mi!

6. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

crunchy peanut butter w/grape jelly on white or wheat bread... :)

7. orbitz7391

orbitz7391 Active Member

peanut butter and pickle on whole wheat!

8. ChelleC

ChelleC Well-Known Member

Honey Ham with Kraft mayonnaise and lettuce is my favorite.

9. skipaway

skipaway Well-Known Member

Tuna salad on pumpernickle with lettuce

10. Norlite

Norlite New Member

Good old fashioned turkey club.

11. Matryeshka

Matryeshka Well-Known Member

The cashew peanut butter, pepper jelly, and duck sandwich from Bayona.

My second favorite sandwich is a buttered ciabbata with pesto butter, fresh tomatoes, and grilled buffalo mozarella with fresh basil leaves and fresh-cracked pepper. I've had this in various incarnations, but the best was at a random Mediterranian deli in Boston.

12. Grannyfan

Grannyfan Active Member

This, especially if the tomato is homegrown and fresh out of the garden, or my mother's pimento cheese, which I've never been able to duplicate.

13. pat c

pat c Well-Known Member

roast beef on a whole wheat bun with horseradish, tomato and lettuce.

or

egg salad using miracle whip w/chopped green onions, preferably toasted.

14. expo86

expo86 New Member

Thinly sliced chicken breast, mango and fresh tomato with a little bit of mayo on lightly toasted multi-grain bread

or

chunky peanut butter and sliced English cucumber on white or multi-grain. Oops, forgot a little bit of honey!

Both are yummy in my tummy! :lol:

Last edited: May 13, 2012
  15. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

Too many to name!
    The one that cruisin likes with mozzarella, tomatoes and fresh basil on a baguette
    bahn mi
    cocoa almond spread on wholewheat toast
    and one that holds a special place in my heart:

pear slices and brie on baguette, drizzled with honey. :swoon:

But I won't say no to a hearty brisket sandwich on rye either, depends on my mood.

:respec: sandwich!

16. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

I think the idea of the sandwich came into being far longer than 250 years ago. It would have followed shortly after the invention of flat bread/risen bread, which was naturally used to mop up meat juices.

I don't eat a lot of sandwiches because I'm not really a bread person and am fussy about the naturalness of my ingredients - no Subway or MacDonalds for me, thank you.

A good pastrami on rye is divine,however, as is a home-made tuna salad sandwich with avocado and lots of lettuce.

I had a killer BBQ sandwich in Arizona yesterday and am eternally fond of egg salad sandwiches with avocado (love it obviously).

Peanut butter and jam or banana also hits the spot. I don't eat them often though because I'm one of those who can't keep her finger out of the peanut butter jar.:eek:

17. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

I am sure if they asked the question on Stephen Fry's QI then you would get a totally different answer to who invented the sandwich.

18. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

cruisin--your sandwich favorite isn't too far off from one of my faves---just substitute roasted red peppers for tomato and a really mellow cream cheese for the mozzarella...

I'm all about eggs: egg salad, fried egg and bacon sandwich (runny yolk necessary), scrambled eggs with whatever cheese, herbs around on a thick slice of toast, croque monsieur....there is so much you can do with an egg.

When I have a sweet tooth I'll go for a Monte Christo with raspberry preserves and yes--there does need to be powdered sugar dusted on top..

My relatives in New Jersey (they live near Philly) introduced me to the cheesesteak when I was a kid. I think the deli they love is still open ---Martino's---anyway I like a good cheesesteak.

I want to talk about Lebanese meat and cheese pies (like a square version of a bierock) but I'm not sure they qualify.

19. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Love many sandwiches!
    My favorite:

BLT
    Hellmann's mayonnaise
    With ripe home-grown tomatoes, if possible.

20. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

I am a devotee of the tuna sandwich. Mayo made with olive oil, some sort of sweet relish (no HFCS), and a good whole grain mustard, with slices of ripe tomato, on home-made whole wheat. Yes.

21. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

Sometimes I make a sardine sandwich. I mash up boneless, skinless sardines with some Dijon mustard, a drop of vinegar, lemon zest and a bit of extra virgin olive oil on rye. The lemon zest (very finely grated) really makes it sing.

22. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

IceAlisa, that combo was part of my Scandinavian heritage, as well.

IceAlisa and (deleted member) like this.
  23. cruisin

Brisket on rye with horseradish! Heaven!

24. Holley Calmes

Holley Calmes Well-Known Member

Horseradish itself is heaven...

IceAlisa and (deleted member) like this.
  25. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

:swoon:

26. Gypsy

Gypsy Thunder & Lightning!!!

What's not to love about sandwiches!

I love a Monte Christo, original batterd deep fried version (I like a combination Stawberry preserve mixed with sour cream to dip it in)
    BLT (with homegrown tomato, Hellmann's mayonnaise and thick cut bacon)
    I also make a killer Lebonese pocket bread sandwich
    Homemade submarine hoagies
    These are a few of my favorites.

27. FigureSpins

FigureSpins New Member

In a diner, BLT or a Turkey Club.

Progresso Tuna (in olive oil) with green olives and a little onion on rye-and-pump swirl.

Tomato-basil-mozzarella panini from Panera

Semolina bread hero with salami, prosciutto, fresh mozzarella, marinated mushrooms and roasted red peppers. (with a drizzle of olive oil) Favorite tailgate / picnic sandwich.

My new favorite sandwich is from the Corner Bakery Cafe' in Dallas, TX. D.C. Chicken Salad on whole-grain bread with sunflower seeds. (Roasted chicken, toasted almonds, apples, celery, red onion, currants and a little mayo.) This chain doesn't have a cafe' here, so I make it at home.

28. cruisin

Diner sandwiches - comfort food - Happy Waitress Special - open faced tuna on rye toast with tomato slices and melted American cheese on top! Yum!

29. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

A thread after my own heart! We love watching Diners, Drive Ins and Dives, and often joke about the sandwiches we'd serve at our own place. Here are our favourites:

Beef on weck - thank you again to FSUer Badams from bringing this one to my attention! - we don't have actual kummelweck rolls around here, so we make caraway butter and serve the sandwich on ciabatta, but otherwise we are true to the real thing. We even bought a meat slicer just so we could do this one right. :lol:

Broadway Farms special - an homage to the local supermarket deli where I lived in New York - shaved roast beef, vinagery slaw, slice of mild cheddar and Russian dressing on a roll - LOVE.

Saturday night special - we often have this satisfying sammie before going out - sauteed peppers and onions on a roll with herb salad (finely chopped parsley, chives, thyme, basil, whatever you have) and a slice of provolone. Hubby likes his with mushrooms too. :)

Tuna melt - over the years I've added minced red pepper and chopped cilantro to the usual mayo/celery/onions. Top with a slice of tomato on any type of bread or pita, broil with a slice of cheddar. This one is my cat's particular favourite - I swear he knows when I'm even thinking about making this.

Tea sandwiches!!!! Love a plate of these with tea, followed of course by scones with jam and cream :swoon: - cucumber, white pepper and fresh mint on white bread spread with cream cheese; Coronation Chicken (my version is chicken, celery, golden raisins, curry powder and mayo) on brown bread; creamed avocado with thin slices of tomato; shredded radish with poppy seeds creamed into cream cheese or homemade butter, served open face because it's so pretty. :)

Chicken salad - I don't eat chicken much any more, but when I did, my favourite was to get all the bits off a carcass and make a salad with onions, lots of pepper and mayo, and shaker parmesan cheese and served that on toast with lots of shredded lettuce.

Love a banh mi! This is the first version we tried, and since then we've made them with sliced pork, subbed in braunschweiger for the pate, and tried this version with pork meatballs - the flavours are so great together that it's fun to try variations, no?

BLTs, sure, but as a kid I eventually pared it down to the best parts, and from time to time still make one of my favourite comfort foods, a BLT, hold the BL! Sliced tomatoes on well buttered toast with loads of mayo and pepper - doesn't get much better than that. I always make this when we score really fresh tomatoes.

And gooey grill cheese from a diner is the best. I don't like the idea of process cheese so I don't have it at home, so once or twice a year I indulge - love it with a buttery, finger licking outside, oozy inside, and lots of ketchup to dip.

And Grannyfan I love pimiento cheese! I have it on crackers though, and use the version in the excellent book by Martha Hall Foose called Screen Doors and Sweet Tea.

30. Susan1

Susan1 Active Member

If we're talking strictly "sandwich" (not counting your various cheeseburgers or grilled cheese), the best sandwich I ever had was the Hot Sicilian at TGI Fridays. It was ham, pepperoni, mozzarella cheese and bacon (heart attack on a plate, right?). There was a little bit of some sort of salad dressing on it (and shredded lettuce and a tomato, which I took off). The grease ran down the side of your hand, but boy, was that good. I used to moan. They stopped making them a long time ago. They stopped making steak on a stick too, which was my favorite before I tried the Hot Sicilian. I haven't been to Friday's since both of those were gone.