Let it snow, let it snow...not!

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Civic, Feb 1, 2011.

1. topaz

topaz Well-Known Member

2. Cupid

Cupid Well-Known Member

So much for global warming!:lol:

3. topaz

topaz Well-Known Member

Actually, it is. Very interesting theory.

Global Swings

4. UMBS Go Blue

UMBS Go Blue KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!

5. skatemommy

skatemommy Well-Known Member

Any reports from Mids Synchro? Is there a thread here for that?

6. NancyNC

NancyNC Well-Known Member

I suppose now would be the wrong time to say that this 70 degree weather is really annoying me? :shuffle: I want COLD weather in the winter... :slinkaway

7. ryanbfan

ryanbfan Active Member

Temps didn't raise here, instead they dropped. Classes canceled and most schools are closed for today.

Judging by the fact we will not make it out freezing tomorrow either, may be the same story tomorrow.

Except now things are getting bad here, we are experiencing insufficient power so now they are doing rolling blackouts. Power went out here this morning for a little bit, and looks like they're going to keep doing them until the grid gets better.

The area where the Super Bowl is is exempt from these blackouts, so we get to suffer for the good of the Super Bowl.

In regards to Tulsa.... My boyfriend has no class Thursday or Friday. So the only day he went to class was Monday. Hope any of you in Oklahoma are managing to stay warm and safe!

8. kia_4EverOnIce

kia_4EverOnIce New Member

9. Morry Stillwell

Morry Stillwell Well-Known Member

Even the crazies like Al Gore have given up on Global Warming. The new politically correct term is, "Climate Change" However, these idiots will never give up their political agenda.:blah:

10. Fridge_Break

Fridge_Break Well-Known Member

Just froze my ass off freeing out my car for almost an hour, only to come inside and get a call that I don't need to go into work tonight. :duh: :lol: At least I got a pretty good workout!

11. Bostonfan

Bostonfan Well-Known Member

Oy. The term "global warming" is a regrettable misnomer because most people equate it to rising temps everywhere. If I remember my high school science class on this topic, the idea of global warming doesn't mean the warming of our surface temp, but rather imbalances of heat in the planet's atmosphere - which can cause certain areas of the planet to see more than normal extremes in temps - both rising temps and decreasing temps. I certainly am not an expert by any means. But I do remember that much.

12. mmscfdcsu

mmscfdcsu Skating Pairs with Drew

Yes. This weather reminds me a bit of the book and movie "The Day After Tomorrow"

13. ryanbfan

ryanbfan Active Member

Last edited: Feb 2, 2011
  14. Kruss

Kruss Not Auto-Tuned

15. Karina1974

Karina1974 Well-Known Member

16. ryanbfan

ryanbfan Active Member

WOW.

I'm so impressed by these pics from Chicago and my boyfriend's. I've never seen so much snow in my life, and I have definitely never seen that much in person!

I am from Texas. The most we ever get is like 3. Last year we got a foot and we were like :cheer:

Living in England and Colorado, I think I still haven't seen that much snow in person.

17. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

TU students start massive snowball fight :)

18. ryanbfan

ryanbfan Active Member

Snow in Dallas/North Texas tonight!

I live north of Dallas, and as of 2:38 AM, we have 3 inches.

So pretty!

http://i56.tinypic.com/259c20x.jpg

You cannot distinguish my sidewalk from grass!

19. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

Baton Rouge has had freezing rain since about midnight. Much much more boring than a good snow. Maybe next week we will have a better shot at the white stuff.

20. indicatoto101

indicatoto101 New Member

I've lived in Dallas for 15 years and seen snow here a couple of times before, and this year has been the worst. My ears and fingers feel like they going to fall off just spending 10 minutes trying to deice my car. I then drive to the nearest shopping center, and they are either closed or ran out of gloves. One good thing though is that I get to take the whole week off.:lol:

It's still snowing in Dallas as I type this. Well, mostly ice. It's not pretty in the least.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2011
  21. WindSpirit

WindSpirit OmnipresentAdmeanistrator

Change 'these' to 'some' and I will say indeed.

We do have a PI forum, you know.

22. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

Actually, "global warming" is a term that does refer to the warming of the near surface air (and water) temperatures -- but what many people seem to overlook is the "global" part of the term -- it refers to the average temperature of the planet, rather than in localized regions. One predicted effect of this trend of global warming is more extreme weather events (including more extreme highs and lows). "Climate change" probably makes more sense to use because of those many who focus on any extreme of cold weather as somehow negating the fact that the global average temperatures have been increasing at an unprecedented rate in the past century. And that is all that I have to say about global warming in this non-PI thread.

23. NeilJLeonard

NeilJLeonard Well-Known Member

And, neither will you...:biggrinbo

NJL (...my apologies to WindSpirit...the devil made me do it...:shuffle:...)

Last edited: Feb 4, 2011
    milanessa and (deleted member) like this.
  24. ryanbfan

ryanbfan Active Member

I've lived here all my life and I've never heard of school being closed for 4 days due to weather! Wow!