Lesser known performances of well known skaters

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Vash01, Sep 2, 2011.

1. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

Another fluff- off season thread, for what it's worth.

The other day I was watching B&S's Umbrellas of Cherbourg performance from the 2000 GPF. I think it was the only time they performed it, and their lack of familiarity with this music showed. With more practice it could have been a pretty good program but for some reason they never skated it again. That made me think of other skaters that had a few performances that were skated just once or twice, or were simply not well known.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qq-D1w7GcIQ

Michelle Kwan's Miraculous Mandarin, though a good program, was not used much after the GPF performance (2001). Not sure why. I believe she had one SP choreo'ed by Chris Dean that was abandoned.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWarys9kuzM

Yagudin skated to music from Broken Arrow all season, but replaced it with Lawrence of Arabia at worlds, so the BA program sort of went into oblivion because LOA won him another world championship.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6_4j1dsa_k

G&G's Scheherzadeh was not a well known (pro) program at all, I have it on a tape, but it was not easy to find it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Cttmf6lDIk

Last edited: Sep 2, 2011
  2. falling_dance

falling_dance D. Murakami's Newest Fan

Carolina Kostner's Swan Lake LP had a couple of outings in the fall of 2008 before being replaced by the Dumky Trio program for the remainder of the season.

3. Kasey

Kasey Loving on babies!

Nope. Yagudin had skated to Broken Arrow all season, and replaced it with Tosca at Worlds, winning his third World championship with it. LoA was his first world title, and he'd used that program all season.

4. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

LoA was when he won his second world title - this was the first.

Stephane Lambiel sometimes dumped programs in mid-season or after very few events, leaving behind some interesting, if not fully developed, programs.

5. shine

shine Well-Known Member

LoA should be his 2nd world title in 1999. His 1998 win was his first, with Mishin-esque choreography :p

6. Lizziebeth

Lizziebeth the real Lizziebeth

I was at 1998 world's and I totally did not "get" Yagudin at that event :scream: So glad he moved on from Mishin.

7. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

Yuna Kim's Miss Saigon from from Cup of Russia 2007. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=009PmBVxZDI

It was a record-setting performance (133.70 points) with perfect array of five triple jumps by Yuna which is rare because yuna hasn't had triple loop jump in years since 2008. Technically just picture perfect, and this is when her interpretation and story-telling skills have tremendously improved.

I prefer her Worlds performance though she was injured. There was a quite ethereal, innocent character and skater on the ice.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUpJ7g98eTM Peggy Fleming and Dick Button just go crazy with her jumps and spins in this commentary and also with his good'ol "Turn your foot out here, my dear" comment :lol:

8. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

9. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

10. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

11. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

Yes, but A day in the life is not a lesser known program, since she used it all season long, even at US Nats and Worlds.
    I was not fond of this program too. I thought it was the music, but Jeremy Abbott did something good with it. So, I don't know why I don't love it as much as I love her other programs. (and I loved Rush.)

12. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

I am not sure I get you here. Michelle won every short program she was in with "Day in The Life" even with doing the triple toe most of the season, except for the 2000 Nationals where she fell on the triple toe (and was still placed over a clean Nikidinov), and at the 2000 Worlds where she was beaten by Maria's best ever short program performance and lost 2nd to Slutksaya because of one very shaky landing.

As for Rush she didnt skate it long enough to tell. She lost the short program to Slutskaya at Skate Canada but a clean Irina pretty much always won any short program in the 00-01 and 01-02 seasons, usually very easily.

13. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

Loved "Day in the Life" and "Miraculous Mandarin," but I still don't find "Rush" compelling. Maybe it is because the music doesn't seem to have highs and lows? I haven't watched it again in years, but when I did just now I found it left me just as cold as before. Even the crowd didn't seem to get into the footwork sequence, which was usually something Kwan was good at evoking a reaction on.

14. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

I actually liked Rush, but I am surprised by some of Dean's work. Kwan's Bolero which was created by the performer of the historic Bolero, somehow ended up being her worst program ever by far.

15. scootie12

scootie12 New Member

I think Dean's original choreography is in this program:
    http://youtu.be/JdM6yxjYli0

I really enjoyed the look of the program when it was first seen at Campbell's.

I think because of IJS/CoP, the program morphed into the version it became, and by the time it reached Worlds, it fell flat a bit. I think a lot of it had to do with all of the counting on the spins, spirals, etc. The Worlds performance certainly felt like Michelle was trying to comply with the IJS standards, and trying to hit the levels needed to remain competitive at that event. She just didn't appear fully comfortable within the confines of the new system. However, with that said, it was very impressive that in her first IJS event (being Worlds too), she just missed 3rd place.

After Worlds, when she competed at the Marshalls event, I really liked the program again (when it had the WC choreography). I think she finally felt comfortable with it, and she skated it so well at the end of the season. I wish that performance was on youtube, but I haven't seen it on there in ages.

However, my favorite version was the original one seen at Campbell's 2004.

16. dramagrrl

dramagrrl Active Member

There are some programs that never saw the light of competition that I wish I had been able to see:

Bourne & Kraatz had a FD choreographed by Marina Zueva to the music of "Samson and Delilah" (same/very similar cuts to the ones used by Davis & White with great success in 2009 - the few people I know who did get to see B&K's program in training say that there was quite a lot of choreographic similarity between the two programs as well) in the summer of 2000, but ended up dumping it for "March With Me" :)P) when they decided to be coached and choreographed by Tarasova full-time for the 2000-2001 season. I think S&D would've suited them much better (and Zueva's choreo would've definitely suited them better than Taraosova's, IMO), so I would've loved to see this.

David Wilson choreographed a freeskate to the soundtrack of Ever After (a beautiful soundtrack that I had been hoping to see someone worthy use) for Kimmie Meissner in the summer of 2007, but she ended up going back to Lori Nichol and dumping Wilson's program for Nichol's "Nessun Dorma" at the last minute. I believe some of the music cuts and choreo of the Ever After program lived again when Wilson used it for Canadian skater Rylie McCulloch-Casarsa in 2009-10.

And perhaps the program I would've most loved to see - Christopher Dean choreographed a FD set to selections from Cirque du Soleil soundtracks for Jamie Silverstein & Justin Pekarek in the summer of 2000, but the partnership dissolved shortly afterwards, and so the program never got to see the light of day.

17. sk8boy

sk8boy New Member

I remember seeing clips of Tanja Szewczenko's programs post 1998 worlds... her German Nationals programs to "Dragon" and a jazzy SP... wish those were still around in their entirety.

Also Lu Chen's La Mer from 1997 Worlds qualifying... it's like the Holy Grail of skating... no one can find it.

As for Kwan's jazzy SP's... Day in the Life was great and well received. The beginning of "Rush" was HER. the fast part... not so much... the music seemed elevatory. she should have kept the beginning theme throughout... would have been really special.

18. Lainerb

Lainerb New Member

I hear that. The most anything has been seen on it was during an interview clip during the 1996-1997 season and there was about 5-10 sec clip of Lulu attempting a split-3toe and falling on it. I presume that was from her long program that season. Rumor has it her qualifying program was shown on Swiss TV.

19. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

Shen & Zhao's "Mt. Olympus" from 1998. This is the first program of theirs that I saw, and was so impressed from that point on.

20. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

Evgeny Plushenko 2001-2002 GPF LP - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWAget5XJDc The music was Eclipse/Tango de Roxanne/Opus, but IIRC he gave it some pretentious name like "Portrait of an Artist." This was to be his Olympic program, but he ended up skipping Euros and coming up with "Carmen" for SLC, which turned out to be one of my favorite programs of his, so that was a good change.

Surya Bonaly 1997 GP series LP http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlZBQx3lO9U Samson & Delilah. This is from Skate Canada. This is a really bad performance where she's coming off her Achilles tendon injury, but I love this music for her. She dropped this program for the Four Seasons at the Olympics.

Alexei Yagudin 2002 Skate America SP http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9q70BbgHUIQ The music was from Safri Duo and the theme was a Formula 1 racer. This was a clever program. He's in amazing shape considering the hip injury and it being early in the season, but I would've loved to have seen this one develop over the season. He won this SP but ended up withdrawing and never competed again in eligible competition.

21. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

His first world title was in 1998, skating to Carmen.

However, you are right about replacing Broken Arrow with Tosca (3rd title)

22. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

He skated to Troika in 1998.
    Carmen was in 1997 for his first World Medal bronze) ;)

23. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

I didn't realize this was a competitive program for Alexei, but it was very enjoyable to watch him skate to it in SOI.

24. Skate Talker

Skate Talker Replaced the display under my name

Not memorable enough of a performance for me to bother hunting it down now, but in 1995/96 season Elvis Stojko had a program to The Last of the Mohicans that he dropped by nationals because he said he couldn't get enough energy from a program about such a depressing theme and it was affecting his performance. I believe on of the times he performed it was at the 1995 NHK.

25. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

Interesting; who ever thought Stojko was so sensitive? That's kinda nice to read, actually.

26. Skate Talker

Skate Talker Replaced the display under my name

Actually, on FSVids I posted a link to an interview with Elvis from the 1996 Canadian Championships and labelled it "Elvis is not The Last Mohican (Sensitive guy that he is, Elvis explains why he dropped his new Free program)" You read my mind :lol:

27. Diyoris

Diyoris New Member

Didn't they reused this program once on the GP circuit in the early 2000's?

28. kathy sullivan

kathy sullivan Well-Known Member

With all the excitment about the programs and costumes, and all the chaos around the injuries, going on with Michelle around 2006 Nationals and Olympics, I don't think I'll ever recover from not seeing her planned programs. I know we saw an abbreviated peek at her SP at the cheesfest but I still yearn to know what she had planned for the real thing, and nothing of the LP ever emerged. I mean she actually showed up at the Olympics - she had to have two programs and two costumes ready to go. I thought sure by now somehow we would have seen practice vids or geez at least pics of her costumes - but alas I guess we never will.

29. TwizzlerS

TwizzlerS Well-Known Member

Another set of "lost" programs are the ones that Lang and Tchernyshev were going to use circa 2004 (the year they decided to come back but withdrew at US Nationals after the CD). I don't think I ever heard what these programs were.

30. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Kwan's Olympic programs for 2006 and 2010. Her 2006 and 2010 short programs were skated exactly once and her infamous 2006 Bells program choreographed by TAT was never publicly skated.

One performance I wish I could see on youtube again is Meissner's Japan Open version of Turandout in 2008. She had struggled with jumps all season and finally skated a strong performance at the end of the season there and showing what a effective program it could be.