Les Miserables - the movie

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Kruss, Dec 24, 2012.

1. Spareoom

Spareoom Well-Known Member

Yet another reason why Frances Rufelle is the only Eponine I really can't stand. :p ;) I just do not care for her vocals at all.

2. UGG

UGG Well-Known Member

Really? She was really young she played Eponine in the original London production-she might not have even been 18. I know she was secretly dating him during the Broadway production, she was like 20 or 21 and he was in his 40's and married with a bunch of kids. She got pregnant right after she won the Tony award , it was all scandalous, and had to leave the show and that is why Cameron Mackintosh did not ask her to be in the 10th Anniversary concert.

I seriously know way too much about Les Miz LOL.

I really like her Eponine. If you read the book, Eponine is really scrawny, very child like...pretty much in stalker territory regarding Maruis, and I am pretty sure (from what I remember, I read it so long ago) her voice is described really scratchy. A lot of play the part as "strong willed", but in the book she is almost looney in her obsession with Marius. She fits the part according to the book I think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwdOP2MG-Uc

Last edited: Dec 26, 2012
  3. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

He was the young male lead in the movie "My Week with Marilyn" from 2011, playing the Colin Clark, the author on whose books the movie was based. He was also Angel Clare in the BBC mini-series version of "Tess of the d'Urbervilles" from about five years ago.

4. skategal

skategal Bunny slave

We saw the film this afternoon.

I did love it, but it took so much effort in the beginning for me to 'get over' Russell Crowe as Javert. I hadn't read or seen much in the way of reviews about the film prior to viewing it. I only knew the cast....and when Javert began singing, I almost gasped out loud in the movie theatre.

Loved Anne Hathaway....but agree it was over-acted. Liked Jackman as Jean Valjean but he too slightly disappointed me a little with the vocals on 'Bring Him Home' but I don't even know why really. It was just something slightly annoying about it. The ending where he sang 'Take Me Home' was much better.

The new song in it that Jean Valjean sings to Cosette hit me like a ton of bricks....I thought it was so lovely.

All in all, it was a great movie. Glad I saw it.

5. ssminnow

ssminnow Active Member

Just saw it. To be honest, I was a little bored. In fact, the only thing that kept me from being totally bored was fixating on how Tripp from Gossip Girl is in it.

6. Spareoom

Spareoom Well-Known Member

Listening to the CD...haven't had a chance to form an opinion on all the other tracks, but Eddie's version of Empty Chairs has GOT to be my favorite rendition of that song. Straight to my "Faves" playlist on iTunes. :D

ETA: I forgot to say, during the ending credits there is an AWESOME orchestral version of One Day More. Next time I see the film, I am SO going to sing. All the parts. Because it's awesome. :p

7. Latte

Latte Well-Known Member

Early this morning they said on tv that it made $15 million dollars Christmas day and night.
    That's a lot for one day.
    I haven't seen it yet. Can't wait.

8. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

9. The Accordion

The Accordion Well-Known Member

I directed the School Version of Les Mis last summer and we had the last Eponine from Broadway (Diana Kaarina) come and do a workshop and she told us all sorts of stories including "why Eponine instead of the bishop"! She was really wonderful and it was an amazing experience for the kids!

10. pollyanna

pollyanna Well-Known Member

Also Jack in Pillars of the Earth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lx3gMYF7X5E

11. BelleBway

BelleBway a monkey stole my title

I really loved the movie. I especially liked that it was different enough from the stage show so that it could be judged on its own merits and not be a direct comparison.

The casting wasn't perfect, but it seldom is and I felt it was good enough to support the material. The voices were never going to be the highest quality you get on Broadway so I didn't have any expectations in that regard. As long as the characters could draw me in, I was good. My biggest disappointment was Russell Crowe's Javert. I could live with his voice, but I didn't feel he had a strong enough and rigid enough presence for my idea of Javert.

When they first announced the movie, I thought they'd surely mess it up and I did not have many expectations. So I was quite pleased with how it ended up.

Planning to see it again next week!

12. UGG

UGG Well-Known Member

Well it actually makes sense because it does seem random that Eponine's ghost is there when Valjean dies as she really had no ties to him other than hating on his daughter.

I am going Saturday I cannot wait!!! I have ZERO expectations for Russell Crowe and am expecting the worst out of him. Javart is my favorite character-his final scene for me is the most emotional part in the musical so this just sucks for me.

13. myhoneyhoney

myhoneyhoney Well-Known Member

Thank you for the reviews! I'm still excited to watch it even with some negative reviews online. I am a bit nervous because I've seen it twice at the Orpheum and loved it so I am curious about just how different the movie version is.

14. AxelAnnie

AxelAnnie Well-Known Member

^^ did you see the SF play a few months ago? That production was OUTSTANDING. I don't think, after seeing that, I want to diminish the experience with seeing the movie. The male voices were so totally amazing.

15. myhoneyhoney

myhoneyhoney Well-Known Member

Yes, I saw that production and enjoyed it so much! I wish I could've gone again. It was a completely different experience from the first time I saw it in the early 1990's (it was a high school requirement to watch). I've been spoiled by the Orpheum productions so I'm afraid the movie will disappoint but I have to see it. It just like how I have to watch and read everything Marie Antoinette no matter how awful reviews are, lol.

16. Alixana

Alixana who is on vacation!!

Went today and LOVED it. This from someone who's seen it 6 times in London and on Broadway and once more in Toronto. However, for those who haven't seen it yet, I might suggest going in NOT expecting the stage musical and then you might enjoy it more. Russell Crowe is not good but not cringeworthy IMO. Hugh Jackman, Anne Hathaway and especially Eddie Redmayne were standouts for me. One word of caution .. not only have they changed the order of songs but they've shortened quite a few .. to make room for extra scenes that explain the plot somewhat (I guess). A little contrived maybe for those of us who are very familiar with the musical, but helped make sense of the story to the person I went with (who'd never seen Les Mis).

17. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

I just indulged in a long gushing session over at LiveJournal. :) In lieu of writing all the same things all over again, I'll put the link here. Short version: I adored it.

18. jenny12

jenny12 Well-Known Member

Saw it and enjoyed some of it, but I thought the direction was terrible. Way too many close-ups in my opinion. There were some nice performances and sequences, but I think it could have been better with another director.

19. Lynn226

Lynn226 Well-Known Member

I kept expecting Helena Bonham Carter to pull out a wand and shout, "Avada Kedavra.". She looked so much like Belatrix Lestrange when she first appeared on the screen.

20. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

From what I hear Jackman has a lot of fans in Korea but I wonder if this has anything to do with Yu-Na as well

:p

21. all_empty

all_empty Well-Known Member

Well I saw it with many critics two weeks ago, and most liked it.

Aaron Thveit (Enjorlas) was fantastic. Most know him from "Gossip Girl."

22. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

I'll try to see it this weekend.

Did most of you cry during/after the IDAD number ? I'd love to see the epxressions on the male audience members after that number.

23. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

I didnt cry during IDAD. I felt like AH was too over the top in her scenery chewing. I get it, you want an oscar. I was relieved when she finally died. Her voice is technically good but I dont like it, sort of nasally or up in her head or something.

24. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

I'm glad to hear they did this- I've been worried about taking someone who isn't really familar with the story, as movies often leave things out rather than add them in. (My husband went to see one of the Harry Potter movies with me without seeing the book and he had no clue what was going on. A lot of apparently vital plot information was stuff you were just supposed to know had happened.)

Can't wait to see this! Saturday :)

25. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

based on the people i know in real life who have seen it, the ones who never saw the play seem to like it more. they have nothing to compare it to and arent quietly wishing ruthie henshall would suddenly appear and take over as fantine.

26. Sparks

Sparks Well-Known Member

I cried. My friend said, "She's looking for that Oscar!". lol
    My advice is to go in with a clear mind. Don't expect anything and enjoy the ride.

27. jenny12

jenny12 Well-Known Member

I agree. I think AH did very well overall, but IDAD seemed really self-aware to me, like "LOOK EVERYONE!! I AM SUFFERING!!!! GIVE ME AN OSCAR!!!!!"

28. UGG

UGG Well-Known Member

I really enjoyed reading!!! I remember the little insert that said "In 1992 She Will Be Going to Cinema"

That was I think in 1990 when I saw Les Miz in Washington DC. I remember being so excited LOL. I wonder what ever happened with that.

29. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

I'd read that Hathaway lost 25 lbs for the role. I was wondering from where though. She's thin already!

I've never seen anything of Les Miz or read the book. I know very little about it. So I suppose I'm the perfect person to see this, but I have to say the reviews are scaring me away a bit.

Kasey and (deleted member) like this.
  30. BelleBway

BelleBway a monkey stole my title

Interesting. I have friends who have seen the stage version way too many times and they all have been very pleased with the movie. Maybe we are all pessimists who expected them to totally mess it up. ;)

Looking forward to seeing it again next week with my nieces :)