Les Mis Fans ~ Keep An Eye Out During PBS Pledge Break Times

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by AragornElessar, Mar 8, 2011.

1. jenny12

jenny12 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I love The Confrontation, but part of the tension comes from two great singers battling it out. Jackman's voice might be too strong compared to Crowe to make it into a real battle.

Here's the ultimate with Colm Wilkinson v. Philip Quast:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0SWaGfkPxA

I also enjoyed the 25th anniversary version:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TN9SQAcW5Dw

Gazpacho and (deleted member) like this.
  2. Spareoom

Spareoom Well-Known Member

^^ Colm vs. Philip will go down as quite possibly the most epic rendition of the Confrontation ever. It is just incredible; everything else has always paled in comparison to me.

3. Holley Calmes

Holley Calmes Well-Known Member

I actually prefered the 25th Anniversary rendition....though both are spectacular. I think I like Boe's voice best. Just a personal preference. Wow! I think whatever Jackman might slightly lack in vocal he will more than make up in presence. Valjean is supposed to be a super-strong man, is he not? Jackman is just a large guy to begin with, and then you add his imposing presence....

I can't wait! And I doubt Crow will be much in the voice line (doesn't he have a rock band?) but his presence will also be "bringing it." He can do menacing! Acting and character development count for a lot.

4. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

I think Philip Quast was the quintessential Javert. As amazing as the Wilkonson/Quast duo was, I would guess that a Boe/Quast would be mind blowing!

I agree that Crowe has the physical presence to play Javert, but Javert has a hugely important singing role. I'm not sure Crowe is up to that.

5. Gazpacho

Gazpacho Well-Known Member

Sigh, no matter how good they are, they won't vocally be anywhere close to Colm/Philip nor Alfie/Norm.

Do you think they might turn The Confrontation into a speaking scene rather than a singing scene?

6. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

Oh wow!! Love what I see in that trailer.

Now that the Trailer's out, it's now real the movie's really happening if that makes any sense. Between this and The Hobbit, I haven't looked this forward to December and big time movies in a long time. Can't wait!! :D

7. cruisin

I hope not! There is virtually no speaking in the musical. I hope they stay true to that in the movie.

It appears that Marius will have a very decent voice: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxFEqPUu57s , http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDK-kwVFkMA&feature=related , http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYTTT-u7aUg&feature=related

It appears that Anne Hathaway (though this is tongue-in-cheek) can sing this musical: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlZ9kAz9Wuc&feature=related

I heard on GMA, this morning, that all of the singing is being sung while filming. No voiceovers. While that is admirable, will it lose something on screen?

Last edited: May 31, 2012
  8. Theatregirl1122

Theatregirl1122 Well-Known Member

Only if they want to be crucified by the fans.

9. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Cute Twitter exchange between "Javert" and a follower:

Russell Crowe ‏@russellcrowe
    there is nothing on earth that we share...Javert may not make it home tonight...#lesmis

Nick Holder ‏@valetudocage
    @russellcrowe take a life jacket

10. sk8sue

sk8sue SHERLOCKED

Awww. And then: Russell Crowe ‏@russellcrowe
    shooting schedule changed...I live yet...supposed to be Monday now...#lesmis

Alfie Boe is going to be in the Queen's Jubilee Concert on Tuesday, which it appears will be televised in Canada and the U.S.! CBC is promising to show the full concert.

eta Or Monday. Looks like it's live on Monday, but being shown in N. A. on Tuesday.
    There were rehearsals today by Buckingham Palace.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2012
  11. Kruss

Kruss Not Auto-Tuned

Last night, after subjecting myself to the atrocious Love Never Dies on PBS, I missed that Alfie Boe's concert at the Royal Albert Hall was on. Thankfully, it's on again Tuesday night, so the DVR is set. :)

12. Gazpacho

Personally, I think that's a marketing gimmick and a misleading statement, if not an outright lie. I will be shocked if the songs are not recorded in the studio and/or post-processed to sound as if they were. When you're filming, there are so many extraneous noises.

Perhaps what they mean is that while filming, all the actors will be singing rather than merely lip-syncing. But that doesn't mean the audio recorded from the filming will be the final audio.

13. cruisin

I don't really know, for sure, what they are doing. All I can tell you is that they announced on GMA that this was the first time this has ever been done. That they were singing the songs during the actually filming performance. I was wondering if that might be why Anne Hathaway's I Dreamed a Dream sounded a bit weak. It sounds like a bad idea, hopefully GMA did have their info bit mixed up.

14. bek

bek Guest

I actually like Anne's version. Don't get me wrong I haven't heard every single version ever made... BUT what I like about her version is that it isn't perfect but rather raw and full of emotion. I think my favorite version is Ruthie Henshell's. Lea has the best voice of them all but is too perfect. But I loved how Ruthie got extremely raw in the end.

Obviously there's Ruthie's famous tenth anniversary addition.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHjCvDgILWs&feature=related
    But there's also this version which I love
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmSHk9TB3sI

What I love about Ruthie's addition is the voice is gorgeous but the rawness is still there.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2012
  15. cruisin

I agree with you. Lea does have the best voice, but I see her as Eponine, from the 10th Anniversary version. This always makes me cry: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFv2TBwnX-E

16. UGG

UGG Well-Known Member

I don't care how old Michael Ball is even if he is older than Jean Valjean! He should be the only person allowed to play Marius. :D

17. Kruss

Kruss Not Auto-Tuned

Hear hear!!

18. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

19. Gazpacho

And what's more, Ruthie's rawness builds as the song progresses and then fades into defeat. In her 10th anniversary performance, notice how she sings the following:

"forgiving" at the beginning of the song (1:29 in the video)
    "tear" at the middle (2:18 in the video)
    "living" (3:42 in the video)

Then listen to the last line as she fades into defeat.

She sang it so that even if you don't know a word of English, you would still know Fantine's life. Amazing. Untouchable.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2012
  20. cruisin

You described that so well, you gave me goose bumps!

21. Spareoom

22. sk8sue

sk8sue SHERLOCKED

So according to the extended first look video, they are definitely singing live! And it seems as though it will sound great and really enhance the whole production. I get more and more excited with everything I see about the film. Also, has everyone seen the first poster and first tv promo spot which came out this week? Such a brilliant idea to reproduce the essence of the Cosette theatrical poster. Can't wait 'til December 25th.

Oops, The Hobbit is December 14; another film that has taken years to get made. I can't believe that the two of them are coming out within 11 days of each other. I've probably never looked forward to any film in my life as much as these ones. When I saw Les Misérables at the Royal Alexandra Theatre in the early 90s, there was a page in the program that said "soon to be a major motion picture" and I was dying for it to come out back then!

Last edited: Sep 28, 2012
    PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  23. The Accordion

The Accordion Well-Known Member

I. CANNOT. WAIT. (I may have to ditch my family on Dec 25 to go to see this!)

24. Spareoom

Well, originally the Hobbit and Les Mis was scheduled to come out on the same day, so having them come out 11 days apart is actually good. :D ;)

Totally going to see this, maybe even the midnight showing if the theaters are even open. At least I know I'm off work on Christmas so I get to see it! :D

25. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

Looking great so far. I might actually agree to going to my sister's this year for Christmas if there's a chance of going to see Les Mis.

(Don't ask....)

26. sk8sue

sk8sue SHERLOCKED

Oh, I'm not complaining. I meant that in a good way.
    Can't stop watching the trailers for both movies every day now.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2012
  27. PRlady

PRlady Who gives a fig?

I saw the long-form promo for the movie last night (before Pitch Perfect, they sure knew their audience!) Hugh Jackman and Anne explaining what they can accomplish by singing live on-camera was just mesmerizing and the whole movie looks incredibly good. I started to cry listening to Anne sing "I Dreamed a Dream" -- and that was just the promo.

I think this is going to be wonderful.

28. cruisin

I saw it too. I am a little worried about Amanda Seyfried. She has a lovely voice, but it's weak (no power). And we still have to see how Russell Crowe sounds. Javert is a very important voice, I hope he's up to it.

29. Gazpacho

Yikes, that extended promo didn't foster any confidence. Looks like a beautifully made movie, but the singing may not be up to it.

I find what Anne Hathaway said incredibly offensive. It is not "selfish" to sing the song in a pretty way nor does it fail to capture "the truth" of the song. The great musical theater actresses have captured Fantine's struggles AND sounded beautiful.

Amanda Seyfried sounds like a actress in a high school or local theater production.

No clips of Russell Crowe singing. I worry that his singing may have been disastrous, and they're desperately trying to post-process it.

30. Tesla

Tesla Whippet Good

Or they want to wow everyone with how phenomenal he sounds.