Les Mis Fans ~ Keep An Eye Out During PBS Pledge Break Times

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by AragornElessar, Mar 8, 2011.

1. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

Maybe someone can start a new thread when the movie opens or the first reviews come out?
  2. Twilight1

Twilight1 Well-Known Member

Best xmas present this year is that that movie is coming out. So excited!
  3. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

I shudder. :yikes: He really just needed to enunciate that more. Unless he's going for a more proper, less angry approach, but...aaaaaaaagh.

My mom is going to be sad. When we saw Les Miz on Broadway when I was a kid, she looooved our Javert. He had such a beautiful baritone. :swoon:
  4. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

I never understood, why Russell Crowe? He just doesn't feel like Javert.
  5. Twilight1

When I think of someone playing Javert, I think of Alan Rickman but I don't know if he can sing?
  6. cruisin

Oooh! As an actor - perfect! But, I don't know if he can sing either. I don't understand why they didn't get one of the Javerts from one of the anniversary performances (10'th please :)). They did that for Eponine.
  7. pollyanna

pollyanna Well-Known Member

Love Samantha Barks. Loved her in "I'd Do Anything," loved her in the 25th Les Miz anniversary concert.

Not loving Amanda Seyfried's voice, however. :slinkaway
  8. Anita18

Me neither. It's too weak. Hilariously, she's also supposedly had "opera training" but it was probably the same kind of training that Emmy Rossum got. :p
  9. floskate

floskate Vacant

Why am I not surprised at this? :D Barks is fabulous as she was in the stage version also. Seyfried is just dreadfully miscast here. She has neither the range, quality of tone or warmth in her voice to do the role justice. What WERE they thinking? It's like she's doing Mamma Mia in a corset and fancy frock!! Why on earth didn't they ask someone like Sierra Boggess who is also a name in the UK due to the POTO 25th anniversary concert where she was so brilliant opposite Ramin Karimloo. And while we're at it WHY is Ramin not playing Enjolras in this film???

Still haven't watched the movie version of Sweeney Todd - it's my favourite show; I performed in a pro version infornt of Sondheim himself so I cannot cope with the totally lame vocals from the principals. I really hope this amounts to more.
  10. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

sweeney todd was my first broadway show. i take it way too seriously like i own the rights to it. i actually teared up in the movie over the bad singing.
  11. Twilight1

Sierra and Ramin :swoon: Maybe they are too old for these roles?

I love that they have Samantha playing Eponine.
  12. Kruss

Kruss Well-Known Member

He has sung in a few movies. He's not the best singer, but he gets by. I don't know if he has the voice for Stars and Javert's other songs, though.
  13. Latte

Latte Well-Known Member

Do you mean Rickman?
    I think I have heard him sing before, but don't remember how he sounded.
  14. Alixana

Alixana recovering Oly-holic

Trying not to expect too much from the singing so that I won't be horribly disappointed
  15. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

'Cause my boy Aaron Tveit is. :D I've seen him twice on Broadway and he's really good. And cute. :swoon:

(Okay, so he's young enough to be my . . . er . . . little brother. He's still cute.)
  16. The Accordion

The Accordion Well-Known Member

Aaron Tveit is absolutely wonderful! But he does appear to have bad 80s hair from the footage?
    Alan Rickman sings in Sweeney Todd. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgUY541koiY
    Don't know that he would be the ideal Javert either but :wuzrobbed: in that preview Russel Crowe sounds even worse than I was afraid he'd sound.
    I don't understand how they got good or great singers for most of the big singing roles - and they get Russel Crowe. :(
  17. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Crowe does sound a bit goofy, doesn't he?
  18. Kruss

Kruss Well-Known Member

Yes. You can find some of it on YouTube.
  19. Latte

Latte Well-Known Member

I have a very bad feeling about this movie.
    I think it is going to be really bad.
    I hope and pray not though.
  20. AragornElessar

AragornElessar New Member

I was trying to get the link to the video of Brian Pockar skating in one of Toller's shows over in the thread at GSD and couldn't get to work, so had brought up the main YT page. Under my recommendations, as I've got the Official Les Mis movie channel as one of my favourites, was this...

YouTube ~ Les Miserables Wedding Flash Mob

Now *that's* one heck of a Wedding Present from your Friends. The guy who does Valjean's parts is really good.
  21. Gazpacho

Gazpacho Well-Known Member

Some clips have been uploaded. The cinematography looks great. But yikes, Russell Crowe's singing is painful to listen to. Javerts such as Philip Quast and Norm Lewis have spoiled me. Same song, unspeakably different quality.
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2012
  22. cruisin

Russell Crowe is awful! Amanda Seyfried is tinny and sounds like a cartoon character. Samantha Barks is wonderful, but "On My Own" is so toned down. I understand they wanted to go for more acting in the film, but that song is so powerful and she can do it justice. Why did they wimp it out?
  23. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

ita about on my own, it's like they are hell bent on ruining my xmas. she was the one person i was looking forward to vocally.
  24. cruisin

Yes. Hugh Jackman has a really good voice, and certainly can do Valjean justice. But, do they let him sing? Or, do they make him do that half sing/half talk thing, throughout the film? Are they holding back the really good singers to make the bad ones less obvious?
    Gazpacho and (deleted member) like this.
  25. floskate

floskate Vacant

Or are they holding back all the huge key changes and belt notes in the teasers so as not to spoil us? (This is what I'm hoping because if it's all at this level, it will be one insipid movie. :( Seyfried's vibrato is out. of. control!! It's just tremolo really and the higher she goes, the faster it gets. :yikes:
  26. Gazpacho

I was wondering that too. As someone said earlier in this thread, the tension between Valjean and Javert isn't as effective if the quality is so disparate.
  27. cruisin

Which begs the question: why cast talent so disparate? Les Mis has an almost cult following. The people who are holding their breath for the release have most likely seen the musical/10th Anniversary/25th Anniversary broadcasts. We know what the vocals can and should be. There was no need for a whole slew of big name stars. Jackman and Hathaway were enough. Hathaway has a decent voice and if she had actually sung full out she could have been very good. The breathy, dramatic half singing is lame. They could have gotten any female Glee cast member to play Cosette. Or they could have given theater people the movie opportunity and made a better film. Possibly, they figure that the greater audience will not care about the quality of the voices, but for Les Mis I think they are wrong.
  28. Gazpacho

Maybe they figure that the die-hard fans will see it anyway and the newbies won't know what they're missing.

If those clips are any indication, I might boycott this one at least in the theatre. I'm not paying $10 or more to hear bad singers and good singers who are made to sing below their potential.
  29. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

My thought, also.
    If that is the case, they have made what might have been a great filmed "drama with music", much less so because of their casting choices.

Whoever made these decisions will have only themselves to blame if the film is less successful than they expect it to be.
    I hope that Hugh Jackman, and the other really gifted performers here, will not regret participating in the project.
  30. cruisin

I hear you! Though, I may go anyway :slinkaway My best friend has never seen Les Mis. She is all excited for the film. I almost don't want her to see it unless she sees an Anniversary broadcast first.
  31. Erin

Erin Well-Known Member

I was hoping I wouldn't be as disappointed with the clips because I'm usually not too picky about singing, but I generally agree with the comments here, although Seyfried didn't bother me as much. But Crowe was beyond dreadful, almost as bad as Pierce Brosnan in Mamma Mia...and will have a much bigger impact on the movie than Pierce did. And even if there are some money notes coming later, I'm still disappointed that the "I'm Jean Valjean" line at the end of the "Who am I?" clib was whispered rather than belted out. The only clip I was really happy with was "At the End of the Day".
  32. Gazpacho

Turns out that Philip Quast actually has extensive television acting experience. I don't know how good he is acting on screen, but his voice alone would make up for any shortcomings. He's not that much older than Crowe, so age wouldn't have been a problem.

It dawned on me that the clip of Javert and Valjean features the very first words of the whole musical. :yikes:

I hope what we've seen isn't representative of Hugh Jackman's singing performance. If it is, I wish Hugh would have put down his foot and been like, I'm going to sing my best, your fault if Javert isn't as good. The movie wouldn't have happened without Hugh Jackman, so I imagine he would have had the power to do that. The released clips so far are miles below his ability.
  33. floskate

floskate Vacant

I'll go and see this on the strength of the almost unanimous rave tweets after the NY preview earlier this week. Maybe in context the musical choices will make more sense. Having seen a few more clips on the internet it does seem as though Barks was given full rein vocally towards the end of 'On My Own' so hopefully this bodes well.
  34. jenny12

jenny12 Well-Known Member

Yeah, in the Les Mis First Look that was posted, it does seem that Samantha Barks does go full voice starting in the bridge of On My Own. I'm looking forward to the movie still, but really wish they were using someone other than Russell Crowe. Alan Rickman would have been a good choice or even Johnny Depp who doesn't have the greatest voice but could act wonderfully through his voice. Crowe's a fine actor, but I'm not sure if he can covey it convincingly through his singing, although perhaps it's unfair to judge him through just a few clips.
  35. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Fingers crossed that your hopes will be realized, floskate.
  36. cruisin

Anyone see The boy From Oz? Hugh Jackman became Peter Allen. He won the tony for that performance. This is one of my favorites: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMLdtEmufAQ For anyone who doesn't know Peter Allen was married to Liza Minelli for a time. He was very close to her mother Judy Garland. Garland was treated horribly at the end of her life. Allen wrote this song for her. It has made me weepy since I first saw Allen sing it back in the '70s. Also loved I Go To Rio and Don't Cry Out Loud. Hopefully Jackman et al get to show what they can do in this film and we're worrying needlessly about the clips. Though I think what we saw from Crowe is as good as it will get.
  37. Alixana

Alixana recovering Oly-holic

The snippet with Russell Crowe is so disappointing. Went back and listened to Philip Quast to get Russell's voice out of my head. :(
  38. Anita18

That's the biggest thing - Javert is obviously too high for Crowe's natural range. He's doing his best to support his tone (which is more than what I can say for Amanda Seyfried :yikes: ), but he can't enunciate or emote worth a damn singing like that. It's going to be awkwardly unnatural to listen/watch him for the entire movie. Ugh, I shudder to think how he's gonna butcher "Stars." :scream:

Eddie Redmayne has a surprisingly lovely voice! His "Empty Chairs at Empty Tables" is going to be brutal. :wuzrobbed:
  39. pollyanna

pollyanna Well-Known Member

Amanda Seyfried :yikes: I giggled when she sang "then make no sound." Ironic.

I'm excited to hear how well Redmayne sings. Loved him in Pillars of the Earth, but didn't know he was a talented singer.
  40. cruisin