Les Mis Fans ~ Keep An Eye Out During PBS Pledge Break Times

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by AragornElessar, Mar 8, 2011.

1. Latte

Latte Well-Known Member

Hugh has a nice voice, but, it is not good enough for JVJ.
    I will be very dissapointed if they give it to him.

2. The Accordion

The Accordion Well-Known Member

I love love Hugh Jackman - but IMO his voice is not right AT ALL for Valjean.

3. michaelfsfan

michaelfsfan Princess Glee (TM)

I was in the audience for the second (evening) concert and my favourites were Lea Salonga and Norm Lewis. :cheer:

I have to admit that I got a bit emotional when the original London cast members came out to sing "One Day More" at the end, especially since I'd seen Frances Ruffelle play Eponine before. :eek:

Also, I was thrilled that my friend David Charles Abell, who conducted the 10th Anniversary Concert, was asked to lead the orchestra that night. :respec:

As for Nick Jonas, two words: Oy vey. :scream:

4. pollyanna

pollyanna playing the Glad Game

This^^^

Agree. I still can't get over how wrong Gerard Butler was for the role of the Phantom, and how it ruined the film for me, not to mention Renee Zellweger in Chicago. Jennifer Hudson was practically unknown (outside of AI) when she was cast in Dreamgirls, and she ended up winning an Oscar for her performance of one song in the film and became a media darling. I hope the producers keep an open mind.

5. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

I think we wouldn't have to worry about fail of Butler-ian proportions (as Jackman can, in fact, sing) and I think the argument in his favor over Alfie Boe is that Boe can hold a THEATRICAL crowd and can sing in a concert they happen to be filming for TV...but Jackman is a known, proven quantity who can sing and do theater but who CAN, for certain, act for film cameras. The former skill does not necessarily translate to the latter, even in non-musical roles, and vice-versa. It's not even necessarily they'd be banking on Jackman's name to sell tickets (as this is of movie of Les Miz, people are going to go see it), it's that they don't want to cast a bunch of stage-only people and discover they're absolutely useless on film. Jackman's a big name, he CAN do movies (Van Helsing notwithstanding), and he also can sing, so they don't have to either agonize over dubbing or take film cred over voice a la Phantom. (Not that casting a girl who could sing as Christine did much to help the film along, either. Butler was not the ONLY thing wrong with that production.)

6. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Jackman might surprise those of you who don't think he's equal to the role.
    The movie is more likely to be financed/made if he is a part of it.

7. MLIS

MLIS Active Member

I'm a huge Jackman fan, but I just don't see him as Valjean. I do, however, see him as Javert, which is nearly as large a part and has a couple of big solo sections (including my all time favourite song ever written for the theatre, "Stars"). Possibly he's interested in playing Javert (a much more interesting role than Valjean, imho)?

8. pollyanna

pollyanna playing the Glad Game

I agree that Jackman can sing, I just don't think he has the correct voice for Jean Valjean.

I rather like the idea of Jackman as Javert.

9. skatesindreams

I would love to hear him do some of the material from either role; so that we could hear/see for ourselves.
    He's touring a one-man show that may end up on Broadway; so, it might be possible.

10. floskate

floskate Vacant

Jackman is professionally trained vocally and as such should have way more vocal versatility than many of you are giving him credit for. He has a superb voice - just watch his work in Oklahoma at the National Theatre - don't just judge him on the fluffy songs he does at awards ceremonies. I do agree he would be an awesome Javert but would certainly be interested to see what he could do with Valjean. As someone who still can't bring myself to watch the movie version of Sweeney Todd because of the heinous ''singing'' of Depp and Bonham-Carter, at least Jackman can actually sing!! That's a plus straight away.

11. Latte

Latte Well-Known Member

I've seen him in Oklahoma. He was very good, but, I still can't see him as Valjean. He isn't even a tenor.
    Javert would fit him better.

12. michaelfsfan

michaelfsfan Princess Glee (TM)

Eys, let's not forget that Jackman had built up quite an impressive musical theatre resume before being cast as Wolverine in X Men - Beauty and the Beast, Sunset Boulevard (I saw him play Joe Gillis opposite Debra Byrne, who made a fantastic Norma Desmond, and he was one of the best in that role IMHO) and Oklahoma! (loved him as Curly too).

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  13. floskate

floskate Vacant

There have been actors who have played Valjean over the years who are not true tenors, but high baritones. I'm a high baritone and can sing every note of Valjean's in the score. (You need a strong head voice and falsetto to do it mind you.) It all depends on placement and tone and while it may be much easier for a true tenor to sing, it is not impossible for a high baritone to pull off. All I'm saying is that no one but Hugh knows exactly what his voice is capable of. Being the professional that he is though, I highly doubt he would play a role that he knew he couldn't really sing. We shall see....

14. skatesindreams

I believe that, as well.
    He knows that "Phantom" didn't do so well because of miscasting.

15. AnnieBgood

AnnieBgood Active Member

I just pray that they cast Lea Salonga in some part. One can hope.

16. Latte

Latte Well-Known Member

Another vote for Lea.

17. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

Quick lane-swerve here: Sondheim referred to Sweeney Todd as his favorite film adaptation of one of his musicals, and it's easily my favorite Tim Burton movie. Just throwing that out there. :)

18. Gazpacho

Gazpacho Well-Known Member

Not as Fantine though. No one can match Ruthie Henshall's Fantine.

Here Come to Me is breathtaking too.

19. floskate

floskate Vacant

I wasn't referring to Sondheim's opinion, I was referring to mine :p

20. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

Ruthie Henshall will always be my favorite Fantine and, potentially, my favorite Roxie Hart, too.

I've been thinking: I bet Timothy Spall is Tom Hooper's top pick for Thenardier.

21. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

That would be a very good pick.

22. Gazpacho

Gazpacho Well-Known Member

Just saw Lea Salonga's Fantine. :blah: Way too affected and over-enunciated. Almost uncomfortable to watch.

23. soxxy

soxxy Guest

24. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

Jackson will be great, that guy can do anything. Hathaway as Fantine? Can she sing? I'm skeptical, but trying to keep an open mind.

Harder to keep an open mind about Crowe as Javert , though ... :eek:

25. soxxy

soxxy Guest

The only time I've heard Hathaway sing was with Jackman when he hosted the Oscars. I thought she had a very good voice.

26. Wyliefan

She sings very well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRBLlnN8YbU

27. floskate

floskate Vacant

Yes really not worried about Jackman at all. Russell Crowe as Javert? Really? Can he even sing???? How disappointing. Hathaway is lovely and obviously has a nice voice but not the quality of tone I would associate with Fantine. Her vib annoys me and lacks control. I really hope this doesn't go the way of Sweeney Todd which I still cannot bring myself to watch all the way through. The awful singing is just too disheartening :(

28. Theatregirl1122

Theatregirl1122 Well-Known Member

Kill me now. Hathaway can sing but she is just completely wrong for this role.

29. floskate

floskate Vacant

Having posted this news - and my incredulity to it - on facebook, I have been informed there's a strong rumour that Emma Watson is slated for Cosette???? :eek: Also Bonham-Carter will rough up her Mrs Lovett for Mme Thenardier and Jeffrey Rush is rumoured for Thenardier.

30. Wyliefan

The Watson rumor is not true, according to this article. But the Rush and Bonham Carter rumors may be true.