Les Mis Fans ~ Keep An Eye Out During PBS Pledge Break Times

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by AragornElessar, Mar 8, 2011.

1. Gazpacho

Gazpacho Well-Known Member

Some clips have been uploaded. The cinematography looks great. But yikes, Russell Crowe's singing is painful to listen to. Javerts such as Philip Quast and Norm Lewis have spoiled me. Same song, unspeakably different quality.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2012
  2. cruisin

cruisin Banned Member

Russell Crowe is awful! Amanda Seyfried is tinny and sounds like a cartoon character. Samantha Barks is wonderful, but "On My Own" is so toned down. I understand they wanted to go for more acting in the film, but that song is so powerful and she can do it justice. Why did they wimp it out?

3. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

ita about on my own, it's like they are hell bent on ruining my xmas. she was the one person i was looking forward to vocally.

4. cruisin

cruisin Banned Member

Yes. Hugh Jackman has a really good voice, and certainly can do Valjean justice. But, do they let him sing? Or, do they make him do that half sing/half talk thing, throughout the film? Are they holding back the really good singers to make the bad ones less obvious?

Gazpacho and (deleted member) like this.
  5. floskate

floskate Vacant

Or are they holding back all the huge key changes and belt notes in the teasers so as not to spoil us? (This is what I'm hoping because if it's all at this level, it will be one insipid movie. :( Seyfried's vibrato is out. of. control!! It's just tremolo really and the higher she goes, the faster it gets. :yikes:

6. Gazpacho

I was wondering that too. As someone said earlier in this thread, the tension between Valjean and Javert isn't as effective if the quality is so disparate.

7. cruisin

cruisin Banned Member

Which begs the question: why cast talent so disparate? Les Mis has an almost cult following. The people who are holding their breath for the release have most likely seen the musical/10th Anniversary/25th Anniversary broadcasts. We know what the vocals can and should be. There was no need for a whole slew of big name stars. Jackman and Hathaway were enough. Hathaway has a decent voice and if she had actually sung full out she could have been very good. The breathy, dramatic half singing is lame. They could have gotten any female Glee cast member to play Cosette. Or they could have given theater people the movie opportunity and made a better film. Possibly, they figure that the greater audience will not care about the quality of the voices, but for Les Mis I think they are wrong.

8. Gazpacho

Maybe they figure that the die-hard fans will see it anyway and the newbies won't know what they're missing.

If those clips are any indication, I might boycott this one at least in the theatre. I'm not paying $10 or more to hear bad singers and good singers who are made to sing below their potential.

9. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

My thought, also.
    If that is the case, they have made what might have been a great filmed "drama with music", much less so because of their casting choices.

Whoever made these decisions will have only themselves to blame if the film is less successful than they expect it to be.
    I hope that Hugh Jackman, and the other really gifted performers here, will not regret participating in the project.

10. cruisin

cruisin Banned Member

I hear you! Though, I may go anyway :slinkaway My best friend has never seen Les Mis. She is all excited for the film. I almost don't want her to see it unless she sees an Anniversary broadcast first.

11. Erin

Erin Well-Known Member

I was hoping I wouldn't be as disappointed with the clips because I'm usually not too picky about singing, but I generally agree with the comments here, although Seyfried didn't bother me as much. But Crowe was beyond dreadful, almost as bad as Pierce Brosnan in Mamma Mia...and will have a much bigger impact on the movie than Pierce did. And even if there are some money notes coming later, I'm still disappointed that the "I'm Jean Valjean" line at the end of the "Who am I?" clib was whispered rather than belted out. The only clip I was really happy with was "At the End of the Day".

12. Gazpacho

Turns out that Philip Quast actually has extensive television acting experience. I don't know how good he is acting on screen, but his voice alone would make up for any shortcomings. He's not that much older than Crowe, so age wouldn't have been a problem.

It dawned on me that the clip of Javert and Valjean features the very first words of the whole musical. :yikes:

I hope what we've seen isn't representative of Hugh Jackman's singing performance. If it is, I wish Hugh would have put down his foot and been like, I'm going to sing my best, your fault if Javert isn't as good. The movie wouldn't have happened without Hugh Jackman, so I imagine he would have had the power to do that. The released clips so far are miles below his ability.

13. floskate

floskate Vacant

I'll go and see this on the strength of the almost unanimous rave tweets after the NY preview earlier this week. Maybe in context the musical choices will make more sense. Having seen a few more clips on the internet it does seem as though Barks was given full rein vocally towards the end of 'On My Own' so hopefully this bodes well.

14. jenny12

jenny12 Well-Known Member

Yeah, in the Les Mis First Look that was posted, it does seem that Samantha Barks does go full voice starting in the bridge of On My Own. I'm looking forward to the movie still, but really wish they were using someone other than Russell Crowe. Alan Rickman would have been a good choice or even Johnny Depp who doesn't have the greatest voice but could act wonderfully through his voice. Crowe's a fine actor, but I'm not sure if he can covey it convincingly through his singing, although perhaps it's unfair to judge him through just a few clips.

15. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Fingers crossed that your hopes will be realized, floskate.

16. cruisin

cruisin Banned Member

Anyone see The boy From Oz? Hugh Jackman became Peter Allen. He won the tony for that performance. This is one of my favorites: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMLdtEmufAQ For anyone who doesn't know Peter Allen was married to Liza Minelli for a time. He was very close to her mother Judy Garland. Garland was treated horribly at the end of her life. Allen wrote this song for her. It has made me weepy since I first saw Allen sing it back in the '70s. Also loved I Go To Rio and Don't Cry Out Loud. Hopefully Jackman et al get to show what they can do in this film and we're worrying needlessly about the clips. Though I think what we saw from Crowe is as good as it will get.

17. Alixana

Alixana who is on vacation!!

The snippet with Russell Crowe is so disappointing. Went back and listened to Philip Quast to get Russell's voice out of my head. :(

18. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

That's the biggest thing - Javert is obviously too high for Crowe's natural range. He's doing his best to support his tone (which is more than what I can say for Amanda Seyfried :yikes: ), but he can't enunciate or emote worth a damn singing like that. It's going to be awkwardly unnatural to listen/watch him for the entire movie. Ugh, I shudder to think how he's gonna butcher "Stars." :scream:

Eddie Redmayne has a surprisingly lovely voice! His "Empty Chairs at Empty Tables" is going to be brutal. :wuzrobbed:

19. pollyanna

pollyanna playing the Glad Game

Amanda Seyfried :yikes: I giggled when she sang "then make no sound." Ironic.

I'm excited to hear how well Redmayne sings. Loved him in Pillars of the Earth, but didn't know he was a talented singer.

20. cruisin

cruisin Banned Member

21. Latte

Latte Well-Known Member

The critics like it. There was even talk on tv yesterday that it may be nominated for best picture.
    Go Figure.:rolleyes:

22. cruisin

cruisin Banned Member

Maybe we have to not compare the movie to the theater or concert versions. On stage the actors have to power sing and on film they don't. The film is more focused on the storyline and presentation within a natural setting. If we want to hear the goose pimple vocals, we have the concerts for that. So, we (possibly) can't expect the quality of vocals in the movie. But, I do think they should have started with better voices where Crowe and Seyfried are concerned.

23. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Yesterday? There's been talk that it'll be nominated for weeks! Quite a few people are predicting a win, in fact.

24. Kruss

Kruss Well-Known Member

I'm anxious for this to be good as well, and Crowe's and Seyfried's voices are worrisome.

I'm hoping there's more to it. This week, Michael Ball tweeted about seeing the preview. I hope he's right.

25. Alixana

Alixana who is on vacation!!

Agreed. After seeing the trailers, I decided not to watch anything else they release but try really hard to appreciate the movie for what it is (ie not compare to theatre or concert). It might be difficult but I'll try. :saint::)

26. cruisin

cruisin Banned Member

This sounds like a good plan :)

27. Spareoom

Spareoom Well-Known Member

Since I plan on seeing Les Mis no matter what, I've decided not to watch any of the clips. I figure, I'd rather see the whole movie together and judge how it works as a whole, instead of seeing bits and pieces out of cinematic context. We all know how the play goes, we all know how the song goes. Now I want to see their interpretation of it, and I'd rather not make judgements on it until I see it all together.

28. Meredith

Meredith what a glorious day!

Funny since critics panned Les Mis so mercilessly when it was first performed onstage.

29. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

What were the criticisms of the original stage production ? A talented movie director isn't going to simply point his camera at the stage production, film it, and then plop it onto the screen as is without alterations to fit the film medium and the director's vision.

30. Meredith

Meredith what a glorious day!

I don't remember the specific criticisms of the original stage production of Les Mis. I first saw it on television as the tenth anniversary concert. I do believe the producer made reference to the bad reviews by the critics at the end when it aired on PBS, although I could be wrong.

Every time I hear or see the production I notice something I had not previously appreciated. I take what critics say with a grain of salt, but have a lot of respect for previous cast members' opinions - which so far appear positive with regard to the movie.

ETA Les Mis is airing right now where I live, and I am falling in love with Alfie Boe all over again. :)

Last edited: Dec 3, 2012