Les Mis Fans ~ Keep An Eye Out During PBS Pledge Break Times

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by AragornElessar, Mar 8, 2011.

1. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

Just by having Hugh Jackman and Anne Hathaway means this will have better singing than Joel Schumacher's Phantom of the Opera. :shuffle: Gerry Butler and Emmy Rossum were a joke. I could have sung Emmy's part better, and I'm a second alto. :shuffle: I can also hit some of the low notes for the opera managers, Firmin and Andre, better than they did!

I recently saw a YouTube vid of Antonio Banderas singing POTO live with Sarah Brightman and OMG he was sooo much better than Gerry Butler! :wall: Besides, I would let Banderas sex me anytime. :grope:

2. Kruss

Kruss Not Auto-Tuned

Today is Les Miserables' 27th anniversary. :)

3. UGG

UGG Well-Known Member

LOL the first time I saw it was in Washington DC in 1989, and I also remember the page in the program that said "In 1990 She will be Coming to Cinema"

I wonder what happened.

I somehow wish there could have been a movie version with Colm Wilkinson, Michael Ball, and Frances Ruffelle.

Anywhoo-I have like a regular question that I am dying for anyone who can to answer...

Why the hell was David Bryant cast as Marius for the OBC? WHY??? How can you go from Michael Ball to him?? he is awful. And I googled him and he was around 50 years old playing Marius. There is like nothing really out there on the internet about him. Does anyone have any knowledge? Was he like someone's brother or something?

Also I have always wanted to see Frances Ruffelle win the Tony but there does not seem to be anything on youtube or anywhere else where I can find this telecast. Anyone know if it exists?

4. UGG

UGG Well-Known Member

She does, but besides the OLC and the OBC recordings I have heard, I saw Les Miz about 5 times live and Cossette was always very underwhelming. every single one of them sounded like Tracy Shane who is on the Symphonic Recording. I think she is horrendous.

As for what Anne said-I guess that is just her interpretation of the role. I she wants Fantine's pain to not be overshadowed by the big money note. or...she cannot hit the big money note and is blowing smoke under everyone's ass LOL.

5. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

^^ I think Judy Kuhn's Cosette, in the 10th Anniversary production was brilliant.

6. UGG

UGG Well-Known Member

Yes I should have clarified when I said OLC and OBC, I meant Rebecca Cain and Judy Kuhn whenever they perfomr Cossette LOL.

7. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

I think Ann was speaking only for herself and how she approached the role. I'm sure there will be people putting down some of the singing choices made by the actors for the film, but you'll have to see it from a cinematic viewpoint and not judge it solely on the singing parts.

8. AnnieBgood

AnnieBgood Active Member

I get a lump in my throat and pain in my heart when I hear Anne sing that song. I'm really surprised by it.

9. AnnieBgood

AnnieBgood Active Member

It may not have been the best vocal version of the tpoto, but it still captivates me. I'm in love with Patrick Wilson's voice. I melt. lol
    The Masquerade scene is my favorite. I prefer it to the stage set up.

10. Gazpacho

Gazpacho Well-Known Member

New trailer is out. Looks like a beautiful movie with some great singing (Samantha Barks) and some cringe-worthy singing as well (Russell Crowe). Javert's line in One Day More is one of the easiest lines to sing. If that's all he can do in One Day More, what is Stars going to be like?!?!

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  11. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Maybe someone can start a new thread when the movie opens or the first reviews come out?

12. Twilight1

Twilight1 Well-Known Member

Best xmas present this year is that that movie is coming out. So excited!

13. Anita18

I shudder. :yikes: He really just needed to enunciate that more. Unless he's going for a more proper, less angry approach, but...aaaaaaaagh.

My mom is going to be sad. When we saw Les Miz on Broadway when I was a kid, she looooved our Javert. He had such a beautiful baritone. :swoon:

14. cruisin

I never understood, why Russell Crowe? He just doesn't feel like Javert.

15. Twilight1

When I think of someone playing Javert, I think of Alan Rickman but I don't know if he can sing?

16. cruisin

Oooh! As an actor - perfect! But, I don't know if he can sing either. I don't understand why they didn't get one of the Javerts from one of the anniversary performances (10'th please :)). They did that for Eponine.

17. pollyanna

pollyanna playing the Glad Game

Love Samantha Barks. Loved her in "I'd Do Anything," loved her in the 25th Les Miz anniversary concert.

Not loving Amanda Seyfried's voice, however. :slinkaway

18. Anita18

Me neither. It's too weak. Hilariously, she's also supposedly had "opera training" but it was probably the same kind of training that Emmy Rossum got. :p

19. floskate

floskate Vacant

Why am I not surprised at this? :D Barks is fabulous as she was in the stage version also. Seyfried is just dreadfully miscast here. She has neither the range, quality of tone or warmth in her voice to do the role justice. What WERE they thinking? It's like she's doing Mamma Mia in a corset and fancy frock!! Why on earth didn't they ask someone like Sierra Boggess who is also a name in the UK due to the POTO 25th anniversary concert where she was so brilliant opposite Ramin Karimloo. And while we're at it WHY is Ramin not playing Enjolras in this film???

Still haven't watched the movie version of Sweeney Todd - it's my favourite show; I performed in a pro version infornt of Sondheim himself so I cannot cope with the totally lame vocals from the principals. I really hope this amounts to more.

20. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

sweeney todd was my first broadway show. i take it way too seriously like i own the rights to it. i actually teared up in the movie over the bad singing.

21. Twilight1

Sierra and Ramin :swoon: Maybe they are too old for these roles?

I love that they have Samantha playing Eponine.

22. Kruss

Kruss Not Auto-Tuned

He has sung in a few movies. He's not the best singer, but he gets by. I don't know if he has the voice for Stars and Javert's other songs, though.

23. Latte

Latte Well-Known Member

Do you mean Rickman?
    I think I have heard him sing before, but don't remember how he sounded.

24. Alixana

Alixana Definitely NOT a sonogram

Trying not to expect too much from the singing so that I won't be horribly disappointed

25. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

'Cause my boy Aaron Tveit is. :D I've seen him twice on Broadway and he's really good. And cute. :swoon:

(Okay, so he's young enough to be my . . . er . . . little brother. He's still cute.)

26. The Accordion

The Accordion Well-Known Member

Aaron Tveit is absolutely wonderful! But he does appear to have bad 80s hair from the footage?
    Alan Rickman sings in Sweeney Todd. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgUY541koiY
    Don't know that he would be the ideal Javert either but :wuzrobbed: in that preview Russel Crowe sounds even worse than I was afraid he'd sound.
    I don't understand how they got good or great singers for most of the big singing roles - and they get Russel Crowe. :(

27. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Crowe does sound a bit goofy, doesn't he?

28. Kruss

Kruss Not Auto-Tuned

Yes. You can find some of it on YouTube.

29. Latte

Latte Well-Known Member

I have a very bad feeling about this movie.
    I think it is going to be really bad.
    I hope and pray not though.

30. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

I was trying to get the link to the video of Brian Pockar skating in one of Toller's shows over in the thread at GSD and couldn't get to work, so had brought up the main YT page. Under my recommendations, as I've got the Official Les Mis movie channel as one of my favourites, was this...

YouTube ~ Les Miserables Wedding Flash Mob

Now *that's* one heck of a Wedding Present from your Friends. The guy who does Valjean's parts is really good.