Lent

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Angelskates, Mar 8, 2011.

1. Angelskates

Angelskates Well-Known Member

Lent starts tomorrow, March 9 - Ash Wednesday.

Are you fasting? Giving anything up?

I'm giving up coffee and chocolate again this year. I'm not addicted to either, neither has an affect on me, they don't keep me up or anything. I also won't have any side effects, no headaches or jitters. I am more "addicted" to the habit of having a coffee (I have a Nespresso machine). I also want chocolate when I see it or think about it, I don't actually crave it. I don't find either that hard to give up, so it's hard to make it worthwhile for Lent. I can't think of anything else though... any suggestions?

I am also trying to find something to commit to for Lent this year. It doesn't need to be a daily something, or religiously based, but I'd like it to be something related to relaxing. Any suggestions here too?

2. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

I don't really fast on the holy days or do anything super special. I renew my commitment to get exercise every day and spend more time doing meaningful things rather than staring at the tube or computer.

3. Yehudi

Yehudi Well-Known Member

Hmmm. Maybe if you have a blackberry for work, you could promise to yourself to turn it off on weekends or at night.

Or promise that you won't stay at work past a certain hour.

Angelskates and (deleted member) like this.
  4. Angelskates

I have an iPhone, and it is never off. I live a long way from home and will never turn my phone off after a friend of mine did (also as a fast) and found out only the next day that her mother died :(

I also live at work, literally ;) my bedroom is the top floor of a townhouse where I run a centre for special needs kids. It's my business, and it's new, so I do work crazy hours. I have Sundays off, which has been a mighty hard effort!

5. Gypsy

Gypsy Watching the Leaves Change!

Here are a few ideas:

1. Volunteer somewhere (even if it is just once)
    2. Take 1/2 hour each day to meditate & relax
    3. Try to reconnect with a family member or friend you have lost touch with.
    4. If you are angry at someone, forgive them and move on.
    5. If you have hurt someone, apologize and try to mend fences.

6. FigureSpins

FigureSpins New Member

I usually give up Coca Cola, but haven't committed to that yet this year. Giving up coffee would be a good idea, but it's more for me than for someone else. Sort of a selfish thing to give up - I like Coke better than coffee, lol. Since I rarely buy coffee, I'd have to set a fair price for my homebrewed DD stuff.

I feel like doing something else, like giving up fast food on Saturdays and tithing the money to charity. It's a convenience for me, but it's money that could be used for something better. That's probably what I'll choose.

But today, it is Mardi Gras! Pancakes for dinner with bacon or ham, plus a pseudo-Kings cake! (I should get baking, so it has time to cool before dinner.)

Tomorrow, it's tuna-noodle casserole with Campbells mushroom soup. The only casserole my mother made that I actually liked - it's comfort food. I'm the only one who likes it now and I look forward to it every year, when I force it on the family for Ash Wednesday!

OT: When we were in college, DH and I were in the Newman Club. One year, we went caroling with the Christian Student Society. One of the members of the other group asked if we were "A&P Catholics." My puzzled look made her laugh and she said "Guess not. Those are the ones who only go to Church on Ash Wednesday and Palm Sunday, because they're giving things out that are symbolic and noticeable." I think of her every year at this time. She was really funny and friendly, lol.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2011
  7. zaphyre14

zaphyre14 Well-Known Member

My priest suggested that, when giving up a food item or pleasurable experience (he said one of the alter servers was pledging to give up going to the movies which he apparently does every week), we put the money we would have spent on that into a jar or envelop and at the end of lent donate it to a food pantry or other charity (Good priest, he did not mention giving it to the church).

I am going to attempt to give up my one great food indulgence - potato chips. It might not sound like a big deal but I honestly don't know how I will manage to get through the grocery store without buying them. They seem to leap off the shelf into my cart and hide until I get home and find them skulking in the back of the trunk.

So that's, like $2.50 - $3.00 a week into the kitty.

8. FigureSpins

FigureSpins New Member

My kids love filling their Mite boxes up for Holy Thursday. We never have any coins left after Lent ends, lol.

The intent of mite boxes is to help people save money for charity by adding the money you don't spend on whatever you've given up. At all the churches I've belonged to, the mite boxes are always put towards a designated outside charity, not added to the Church's funds.

One year, I had a mite box on my office desk and my coworkers (mostly jewish) added to it every day as a gag!

9. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

My church doesn't do the "giving up something for Lent" thing, but every year I see other people doing it and think that I should try it. But I can never decide what to give up. :shuffle:

10. Cupid

Cupid Well-Known Member

I am giving up my one vice, red wine, and I'm going to use my treadmill every single day no matter how tired I am!

11. FigureSpins

FigureSpins New Member

My family bought us a washer and dryer as a wedding gift, which was a blessing for a working couple with a 90-minute commute. We decided to put $3/load into our Mite box that year to give to a local charity that helped the homeless with food, counseling and shelter.

On a lighter note: ttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgmQM9cDPHk

Last edited: Mar 8, 2011
  12. CDANN1013

CDANN1013 Active Member

I should give up Sheetz iced mocha for Lent, BUT I can't do that to my co-workers. They call it my nice drink.

13. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

Giving up sweets. The first few days I will try not to be :mad: as the sugar-based high wears off....

14. Marge_Simpson

Marge_Simpson Well-Known Member

15. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

Last feast tonite... jambalaya and an extra large pour of a really nice wine. Peeps for dessert!

16. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

I've been thinking what I would give up if I were Catholic. I think it would be chocolate. It's really just a pleasure but not an addiction. I have about a square of Swiss dark chocolate a day and think it would be reasonable.

I would have a much harder time giving up my morning cup of decaf Irish breakfast tea with milk. I feel it makes me human and functional and is a source of comfort. So given that my tea with milk is more important to me than chocolate, does it make it a more appropriate thing to give up at Lent?

There is a movement among the hip youngish Jews in San Francisco to "uplug" on Saturdays, including cell phones, computers, other gadgets and commerce. IMO, giving up computers, TV and iPads is fine but not the cell phone. What if someone has an emergency and needs your help?

17. Angelskates

IceAlisa, I think too many people use computers for work - I couldn't give mine up for that reason.

I have never heard of people putting money in a jar to give to charity at the end of Lent. I have never even heard of a Mite box until today :shuffle:

For me, the sole purpose is to try at get closer to God and to break habits that come into conflict with this (I have a morning coffee instead of my quiet time quite a lot!), though it doesn't work very well if I find the thing/s I am giving up too easy to give up! Quite often I just find a substitute (like tea). :(

I think I'm going to try the money this as well. I have plenty of coffee pods already, so I rarely go out to buy coffee anymore, so I might put in a certain amount of money when I have a hot drink or something else....hmmmm. Maybe I can put money in my Mite box when I think of coffee, it'll get a fair bit these first few days!

18. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

I couldn't either for the same reason. However, this was an idea for Jews to give up computers on Sabbath only.

What about giving up watching a favorite show? Or manicures? Are you supposed to give up something that's a pleasure or a luxury or something that's essential?

19. Angelskates

Either, there's not really a "supposed to". If you give up something essential, then it's not essential ;) I try an give up something I like that I have/do daily. Luxury things are way too easy for me to give up because they're so rare!

The favourite TV show is a good idea, thanks!

20. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Can you imagine giving up FSU????!!!!!! :eek:

21. Angelskates

Uh, no :lol: I would like to keep what I have left of my sanity!

P.S. it's not only Catholics that give things up for Lent. I'm not Catholic.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2011
  22. FigureSpins

FigureSpins New Member

That's right: my dad (Lutheran) also gave something up for Lent and kept a mite box with us Catholics.

Our mite boxes as kids were small, round canisters that we wrote our names on and brought back to school before Easter break. (Catholic school) One end had a coin slot across the top. http://www.dpmurphy.com/productimages/L461.jpg

The parish DH and I belonged to after we married was very post-Vatican II, modern and liberal. They did everything with style - lots of creative, ingenious people. One year, the Lenten Offering was a printed disk of shiny cardboard like origami - you folded until it became an octagonal box that looked like a bread basket. (Hard to describe) The Charity that year was Food for the Poor so it was a very appropriate reminder, which is why it was on my desk.

Most parishes use small boxes because they're lighter to collect and prepare for donations. This is from an Episcopal church supply company, but a box is a box.
    http://www.ctepiscopal.org/Content/Mite_boxes.asp

23. FigureSpins

FigureSpins New Member

Pancakes and bacon for dinner followed by a delicious frosted cake. I hid a small plastic rabbit inside the cake before I frosted it and the daughter who helped with the baking got that slice! I don't remember what that find entails - I thought that, with a Kings Cake, the finder buys next year's cake, lol.

24. Holley Calmes

Holley Calmes Well-Known Member

My brother just posted on Facebook that it is some strange twist of fate that Saint Patrick's Day is a week after Fat Tuesday this year.

Easter is late....

I grew up Baptist, so I never had the concept of Lent in my brain. Now I'm Episcopal. As I understand it, the objective is to give up something as a sacrifice or do without something one holds important personally. But frankly, I think doing good deeds and giving money to good causes is a better use of resources than just giving up wine (no way) or some food we like. Then again, it's about personal sacrifice...?? Maybe somebody can explain it better to me. I'm not able to get back to church for a couple of weeks. :lol:

Maybe I'll give up salsa.

25. Angelskates

Holley - For me the giving up is not really sacrificial, especially not financially motivated. It's more about the time and reason for the habit. I make time for my daily coffee, but not for prayer. So, instead of thinking of coffee and having coffee, I am trying to pray (and not necessarily the sit down kind, sometimes it will be a passing prayer like conversation with God). I've never had it related to donating money or doing good deeds; it's more about my personal relationship with God and trying to reconnect. Mine is almost always related to me wanting a better relationship with God, and praying more.

26. Holley Calmes

Holley Calmes Well-Known Member

Thank you Angelskates. I understand what you are saying perfectly.

27. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Thanks for the clarification.

28. escaflowne9282

escaflowne9282 Well-Known Member

I've decided to give up my three vices , coffee, chocolate and
    cigarettes

I hope I can last 40 days without any of this...

29. skatepixie

skatepixie Well-Known Member

Fasting, giving up leavened bread, and no meat on friday (but that's year round for me).

30. Angelskates

skatepixie - do you fast entire meals? How often?

escaflowne9282 :cheer2: awesome! Will you count Sundays? (Then it's 46 days!) I always count Sundays.