Legends of Figure skating predicted who will be the Olympic Men's champion in Sochi

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by lala, Jan 13, 2013.

1. lala

lala Well-Known Member

2. rayhaneh

rayhaneh Active Member

Thanks for the link lala! ;)

They were asked to make the same prediction about the Ladies

http://youtu.be/QKHxPTEY8fg

I must agree with Irina though: it's way too early. Things have already changed quite a bit since the beginning of the season, or even between the GPs and the GPF, so who knows where we'll stand in one year!

3. lala

lala Well-Known Member

Yes it's too early, I think Yuzu will be the protagonist :))

4. Macassar88

Macassar88 Well-Known Member

5. lala

lala Well-Known Member

Really don't you know??? The french guy is P. Candeloro. ;):fan:

Buttle : Chan, Takahashi, Hanyu
    Gordeyeva :Takahashi or Plushenko, Chan, Hanyu

In total:
    1. Takahashi - 3 points
    1. Plushenko - 3 points
    3. Chan - 2 points

6. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

Candeloro is difficult to recognize when he's got his shirt on. :shuffle:

7. SmallFairy

SmallFairy Well-Known Member

They should ask Paul the octopus;)

8. os168

os168 Active Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pimtSbwKsoQ

Nice to see some fair and balance reporting by the Japanese Press as usual :lol:

Wait.. are there some other pictures I am not aware of? Do tell ...

9. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

:) Or Nate Silver.

CynicElle and (deleted member) like this.
  10. RunnersHigh

RunnersHigh Well-Known Member

I'm not surprised at all. IIRC, after the Vancouver Olympics, a Japanese show guest or host asked a former skater "Every time in practice report It showed Yuna's fall again and again, But she didn't fall in competitions. Why Yuna didn't fall in competitions as the film showed?"
    The former skater and current figure skating commentator replied "It's because TV report just showed Yuna's fall *only*."

OTOH, I'm a bit surprised at Mai's comments at first. But later I thought Mai and show hosts really don't know how to count the scores in Figure Skating as of now - I mean the changed rules. What would be their answer, if the question was "Do you know how a skater could get 117 high points with 3 Triples, 3 Doubles and a Single in Free Skating?"
    I bet the answer would be "Shoujiki, Wakaranai." or "In all honesty, I don't know."

Back to the topic. ITA with Buttle!!!

Last edited: Jan 14, 2013
  11. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

I'd be curious to see/hear Nate Silver's statistical viewpoint on figure skating. It's just such a subjective sport sometimes; it's not like his baseball algorithm.

12. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

I too think it's waaaaaaaaayyy to early to make any accurate predictions. Fall of 2013 will be the time to do it. With that said...

Shocked to see that Johnny Weir actually answered that question. I thought that he was still thinking about making a run for Sochi. Guess not.

13. Vagabond

What a sheltered life you have led!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFRZma6--xY
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlMFcRNheik
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=r-xtoPCsFak#t=65s
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDtc_7UTeUE

Rumor has it that he did an exhibition once while fully clothed. :sekret:
    I don't think it's on Youtube, though. :shuffle:

Even so, Candeloro usually wore more clothes than KVDP sometimes did.

This, of course, explains the origin of the term "exhibition." :p

14. skatak

skatak Well-Known Member

Quite interesting to see nobody even mentionned Brian ;)

15. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Brian at best has an outside shot at bronze IMO, and he'd need help from others to even manage that. He is definitely not a contender for OGM at this point. We saw at Worlds last year, skating out of his skin, he was 4th, and 5th in the FS, well behind Hanyu in total points despite Yuzu's poor SP.

16. karlon

karlon New Member

Panel : She came back!
    (2010 Vancouver Olympics gold medalist Yuna Kim. Olympic queen had taken a long break for 20 months and just came back)
    (2012.12 NRW Trophy - She made mistakes and fell, but no problem.. She set the new record with Yuna Kim qualities. How long this mysterious strongness will continue? )

Panel : How does Yuna get such a high score?
    Mai : To be honest, I have no idea how she gets such a high score.
    Panel : You have no idea?
    Mai : I don't know. I had competed as a skater for a long time, but why...Maybe judges like her?(Mai)
    Panel : Oh, you think so? What do you think about that?
    Mai : I'd like to say 'no comment' about this issue.

http://youtu.be/QKHxPTEY8fg
    (After the prediction of gold medalist for Sochi Olympics)

Panel 1 : Legends could've seen what's going on..
    Panel 2, Mai : Yeah..
    Panel 3 : I just noticed that the legend skaters who picked Mao for the gold are all women.
    Panel 1 : Yes, Katia and Dorothy.
    Panel 3 : It seems that they were right in judging...
    Panel 1 : You think that women usually predict more accurately?
    Panel 3 : I think so.
    Panel 2(Mai) : Besides, they both are gold medalists. Skaters who picked Yuna are not gold medalist except Kulik. It means more gold medalist picked Mao than Yuna.
    Panel 3 : I don't care about other skaters opinions.
    Panel 1 : You don't care about them? You made a daring remark.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
  17. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

I was afraid of the same thing at first, but then I thought, maybe he's asking what he was asked...which of these seven will make the podium? Of course, he could have added himself in the "?" eighth spot. But maybe he was being his usual unpretentious self ( :p ) and was not coy like people often are when asked these kinds of questions and hem and haw instead of just answering the question.

RunnersHigh and (deleted member) like this.
  18. Vagabond

Given what Weir said about the level of the competition this season, and taking him at his word, I think he knows that he is not a medal threat.

In point of fact, even though his ISU Personal Best is higher than any U.S. man except for Lysacek, he is going to be hard pressed to make the podium at next year's Nationals, let alone make the Olympic team, even if he does come back. And that's a podium with four medal positions, not just three.

19. johnny158

johnny158 New Member

Do not cry, Mai. If Mao fails again to win ogm( likely ) , she could attend PyeongChang in 2018. Yuna will welcome her heartily in her own country. She could compete at 2022 olympics.

Who knows? Maybe, ISU would eliminate the difference between Lutz and Flip for Mao . That would be blessing for a lot of flutzers and Lippers.

Mai, I got to tell you something. Your sister is on the right direction to be the next Suguri.

Dick Button' quotes ....''Remember, every skater comes into the sport at a certain level, if she or they add to it, and if they are a important skater or great skater, if when they leave the sport, the sport has changed and become better because they were in it.''

Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
  20. operagirl

operagirl Active Member

Johnny has definitely been an influence for Hanyu and a couple of the Russian boys, just as Oksana was to him. No one is ever going to imitate Lysacek. I think JW has a chance if he has a quad, and there are 3 spots, but I don't see him having the discipline for it. Makes me sad.