Leftover ham recipes

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by algonquin, Apr 2, 2013.

1. algonquin

algonquin Well-Known Member

Anyone have leftover ham recipes that they would like to share? I have a lot of leftover ham from Easter and I have not been that thrilled with the recipes that I have found online so far.

Many thanks.

2. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

First one that jumps to mind is a long time favourite pasta of ours - ham, peas and leeks. Originally saw it on a tv show about 20 years ago so never even had a recipe. Basically you soften a big pile of leeks in a bit of butter, add diced up ham and frozen peas, then add heavy cream. Let it boil up and then simmer down a couple of times to thicken it, serve over favourite pasta, lots of pepper, maybe a bit of fresh parmesan.

On the weekend, eggs benedict. If you aren't handy with poaching eggs, just do what I do and soft boil then carefully peel them. While I've made hollandaise from scratch on many occasions, I find the Knorr packet does the job - foolproof and delicious. If you don't have English muffins, no worries - just use any toasted roll or bread. It's a breakfast that most people likely only have in restaurants, but you can make a pretty good version at home without much fuss, and it's not a bad dinner either. (And once the ham is used up, make it with spinach for eggs florentine, or put the egg over a few steamed asparagus spears when they're in season - all yummy.)

3. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

The pasta recipe is similar to one I make. But I add a tablespoon of tomato paste. Omlets, grilled cheese and ham, macaroni and cheese with cubed ham, chicken cordon bleu, split pea soup, pizza gaina(sp) - an Easter pie made with pizza dough, ricotta cheese, eggs, grated Romano, cubed ham.

4. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

I tend to go on the side of easy re: recipes. I have two favorites for leftover ham. The first one is a stir fry. Stir fry whatever veggies you like, add some teriyaki sauce (I like Soy Vey brand, or you can also make your own soy sauce-based sauce), throw in some cut up ham and a small can of cut up pineapple. Serve over white rice. We're actually having this for dinner tonight.

The other one: you take the cut up ham, throw it in a pan. Add two sliced green apples (or not - your choice). Add a bottle of Major Grey's Mango Chutney (or another brand of mango chutney). Cook until you're happy with it. Serve over white rice.

Another one I haven't tried yet is scalloped potatoes with the sliced ham baked into it. Sounds yummy.

5. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Put it in pea soup. That's one of my very favorite things to do with it. :)

6. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

You can also put it on homemade pizza (with or without pineapple.) Or use a pre-made crust or Boboli, as you prefer.

7. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

Make breakfast sandwiches with it. We had really yummy ones Sunday morning from leftover ham my mom sent home with us.

8. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

Quiche or omelet? I recently adapted the classic Quiche Lorraine to a quiche with maple smoked bacon and guyere. It was divine. Ham would work instead of the bacon.

9. Badams

Badams Well-Known Member

Spaghetti and ham instead of meatballs. SO GOOD!!! It's one of my favorites.
    Ham, potato, and leek soup is good too

10. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

Ham is absolutely delicious in red beans and rice instead of using sausage. I actually prefer it with ham. I am not sure how common red beans and rice is where you are from, though. Here in Louisiana it is a staple.