Least Favorite Worlds (2001-present; pick two)

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by falling_dance, Aug 27, 2012.

?

Which two World Championships from 2001-2012 are your least favorite to remember?

1. 2001 (Vancouver)

11.2%
  2. 2002 (Nagano)

8.4%
  3. 2003 (Washington, D.C.)

11.2%
  4. 2004 (Dortmund)

9.3%
  5. 2005 (Moscow)

22.4%
  6. 2006 (Calgary)

30.8%
  7. 2007 (Tokyo)

12.1%
  8. 2008 (Gothenburg)

19.6%
  9. 2009 (Los Angeles)

11.2%
  10. 2010 (Turin)

16.8%
  11. 2011 (Moscow)

16.8%
  12. 2012 (Nice)

20.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. falling_dance

falling_dance The Scarlet Unlettered

Your supplications to the Skate Gods went unanswered; all sacrifices were for nought. :p Which two Worlds of the 21st century have most annoyed you? Use any criteria you like.

This is a public poll, btw.
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2012
  2. sk8ingcoach

sk8ingcoach Active Member

2006 was 100% the worst... By far
  3. seaner00

seaner00 New Member

I chose 2003 and 2007. I can hardly remember who won the medals in those competitions
  4. Macassar88

Macassar88 Well-Known Member

I chose 2008 and 2006
    2008 I chose because the men's competition was pretty blegh (I don't like Buttle and Joubert made a billion mistakes); the pairs wasn't that great either (Savchenko and Szolkowy didn't deliver the best free skate and their programs that year weren't really my style also Zhang and Zhang were boring as usual). Ladies was nice and Dance was great because of Virtue and Moir, but the DelSchoes weren't very good in their FD.
    I chose 2006 because of Kimmie Meissner... 'nuff said. But Pang and Tong weren't that great either. I loved Denkova and Staviski's FD though.
  5. casken

casken Well-Known Member

2001 and 2003.

I just remember how awful the crowds were during ice dance.
  6. SamuraiK

SamuraiK Well-Known Member

2004 and 2010 for me:

2004 because of very suspicious results (Bronze for Lindemann and Winkler & Lohse in Germany!)

2010 because it really felt like a bleh post-olympic worlds where everybody underperformed or skated through autopilot.
    flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  7. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

Worlds right after olympics are always snoozefest, so.
  8. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

^^^^ This! The best would retire and the rest were too tired hence likely to underperform. Also, two big events in a row saps one's excitement and energy. :D Fans are tired too.
  9. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

I found 2005 Worlds so annoying re the judging, I turned the tv off during the broadcast -- a first for me. Agree re Worlds after Olympics too, especially in 2006.
  10. DimaToe

DimaToe Well-Known Member

I chose 2011 and 2012, for some reason this quadrennial hasn't excited me nearly as much as the last one.
  11. stevlin

stevlin Member

Jeff Buttle skated his heart out, a near perfect short and long program. Oh well, to each his own.
  12. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

2008 would be nowhere near the least favorite list for me. Joubert's only mistake was the fall in the SP, and Buttle was :kickass: - and I'm not a huge Buttle fan by any means. The dance event was good, Dube/Davison were wonderful in pairs, and the audience seemed really great.

I picked 2001, because I don't like S/P, disapprove of F-P/M winning and didn't like Plushenko much back then. Also 2005 because of the men's splatfest, though it must be said it was a decent competition otherwise. Maybe I should have chosen the decidedly underwhelming 2009 Worlds.
  13. walei

walei Well-Known Member

I really don't recall anything from 2007... so that gets one of my votes.

Also 2005 because it was the Kween's last competition. Michelle was really close to a medal but for some reason haterz were all "TOLD YOU she suck at COP". You don't suck at COP and put up some of your worse skates of your career, and still come less than a point away from the podium. That really left a bad taste in my mouth.
    kwanette and (deleted member) like this.
  14. Zemgirl

Yu-Na had a stellar Worlds debut in the SP, setting a new world record, and though Miki Ando won overall, it was Mao Asada who had a world record LP (the previous records had stood since the first season of the IJS). Joubert capped off an undefeated season with a World title, while Takahashi had an awesome showing in the LP and Lambiel skated his Poeta program. Shen and Zhao gave a great performance (with a new record in the SP) and S/S won their first Worlds medal, and in dance, DenStavs won with Seven Deadly Sins. I'd say it was pretty memorable, actually.
  15. allezfred

allezfred Prick Admin Staff Member

Have to agree with this. Pairs result was the biggest scandal I've ever seen in all my time watching figure skating, Fusar-Poli/Margaglio were the best of a bad lot in ice dance and it was a walk-over for Plushenko in the men's event.

The only performance I can remember from 2003 is Shen/Zhao's FS.
  16. mia joy

mia joy New Member

2008 is probably among my three favourite worlds, especially in ice dancing. So many wonderful FDs, it was breathtaking. The Piano by DelSchoes is one of my favourite FDs ever. V/M and D/W were both fresh, young and beautiful (Eleanor Rigby!!!), I loved the FD by Faiella/Scali, the Kerrs kicked ass in their scottish OD... I could go on. Ice dance in Goetheborg was beyond words for me. Ladies and Men were very exciting too and overall I loved the atmosphere of that event.

for me the least favourite ones of the period are 2004 and 2005, because I barely remember them. I lost interest in FS for a while back then, because everybody just failed to make me excited. The big stars of Salt Lake were mostly gone or in crisis and I didn't see any exciting new faces.
  17. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

:D Jumping for joy for Jeff! :)

:respec:

I didn't vote in this poll, but I couldn't choose 2001 or 2003. I was thrilled that Todd made the podium in 2001 (although I felt he should have won silver instead of bronze, but that's a whole other discussion). We attended 2003 Worlds. Michelle & Shen & Zhao were stellar, plus we got to see some other favorite skaters (Sasha, Fumie, Takeshi, Sarah Maier, Tanith & Ben, B&K, Denkova & Staviski, Jeff, Shizuka, etc. some for the first time live).

I still like watching Worlds in an Olympic season because it gives skaters who didn't medal @ the Olympics a chance for redemption/to shine.

In 2009, I was upset that Meryl & Charlie did not make the World podium. They were fabulous @ US Nationals (saw them live), and even better @ those Worlds. However, justice was done for them in 2010 - Olympics & Worlds (and even better Worlds results in 2011)!

I guess if I had to choose, probably 2004/2005, because of the judging transition/changes.
  18. walei

walei Well-Known Member

I thought this is an opinion poll :dog:

The reason I don't recall 2007 because that was the year for some reason I was really uninterested in figure skating so I wasn't following it much (probably because it was the first season the Kween was not competing at all and had zero plans in competing).
  19. Zemgirl

Of course - it's just that your original post implied that Worlds that year was forgettable, not that you were still mourning a Kwan-less skating landscape ;)
  20. PashaFan

PashaFan Active Member

I voted for 2001 because my mate was there for the entire championships & said the crowd was awful when the European skaters were on.
    I remember watching the Ice Dance free & thinking how quiet they were for Marina & Gwendal, Fusar-Poli & Margaglio & Winkler & Lohse. Shame.