Lawsuit being brought against Paula Deen and her brother

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Scintillation, Mar 15, 2012.

1. Scintillation

Scintillation New Member

2. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

The complaint is a fascinating read. I can't say that any of it is surprising individually, but all put together like that and it's sickening. I didn't respect Deen before, but I definitely think she's a nutter now.

3. michiruwater

The complaint is a fascinating read. I can't say that any of it is surprising individually, but all put together like that and it's sickening.

4. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

I'm no Paula Deen fan, but it is just one side's argument in the law suit. I suspect the response will describe things differently. It may all be true, but we can't tell that just from one side's filings.

5. michiruwater

Well, yes, of course that's true. The complaint itself, however, is sickening, if it is true. Nothing I've read of Deen paints a pretty picture.

6. Scintillation

Scintillation New Member

Paula's claiming this woman was trying to extort her for 1.25 million, so we'll see how it all plays out in court. The way her brother Bubba is described...:yikes: I guess I have a hard time believing someone, in this day and age, could be that much of a racist drunken bastard.

7. agalisgv

agalisgv Well-Known Member

He didn't seem at all extraordinary to me (sadly). That type of language isn't really uncommon (again, sadly).

ETA: Here's a bumper sticker that gets out some of the language described in the lawsuit:

http://www.theroot.com/buzz/crazy-talk-dont-re-nig-bumper-sticker

Last edited: Mar 16, 2012
  8. Scintillation

Scintillation New Member

That is just disgusting.

9. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

I've seen pics of the sticker on facebook.

10. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Why would someone, under the risk of perjury, make up such a story? I hope it isn't true.

11. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

Interesting read. It appears that "Bubba" is the one Ms. Jackson is going after the most. Other than a few references to some less than classy comments from Paula Deen, there's not all that much mention of her. (I've never been much of a Paula Deen fan myself.)

12. FiveRinger

FiveRinger Well-Known Member

I read about this lawsuit the day after she appeared on Oprah about 2 wks ago. She was crying and carrying on about how tragic her life was before she got rich and famous and why she's "like she is." More PR before another storm.

13. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

the more I read it, the more I believe it...

14. Scintillation

Scintillation New Member

I read excerpts of it to my mom, who immediately believed everything and is now raging that they need to kick Paula off food network. She's ah...well you see where my naive nature comes from. :lol:
    A question I do have is why did it take her this long to come forward with this lawsuit? She left Uncle Bubba's about a year and a half ago. Does it usually take that long to file a complaint?

15. MacMadame

MacMadame Internet Beyotch

Yes, it does Scintillation. Here in CA, it works like so:

-Your lawyer prepares your complaint
    -You file a complaint with some agency with a lot of letters that works jointly with a federal agency with different letters (it's the same office apparently)
    -They have a certain amount of time to look at it
    -Most of the time they don't look at it but wait until their allotted time is up and then tell you that you can go ahead and sue because they aren't going to investigate
    -Then your lawyer prepares the lawsuit brief
    -Then you file
    -Wait for a court date
    -Go to court (if the company doesn't offer to settle out of court)

My employment lawyer told me that it normally takes 1.5-2 years to actually get to the lawsuit filing stage so 18 months sound about right.

16. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

In hopes the rich people she's suing will throw money at the problem to make it go away. It happens more often than you'd think. Or to get the notoriety/fame from being the Poor Sweet Victim and make a buck that way.

Or revenge for not thinking they got a big enough cut. Really, considering the "offenses" allegedly start right off the bat, one wonders why she'd have stayed there if she was so horribly offended and constantly abused. It's a job, not a marriage-you don't have to go to court to quit, you just walk out the door at the first offense.

17. michiruwater

As if in this climate it's easy to just quit a job and hope you find something else. She wasn't paid as much as the males, but I'm sure she was paid a decent sum anyway. I know a lot of people who stay, or have stayed, in terrible jobs because the market is so poor. Many of them on this site.

18. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

I'm not crying for someone making more than $65,000 a year. If the affidavit's true, and she was willing to put up what's described, well, we know what HER price is for selling out her morals. That, or she's lying or grossly exaggerating, which sounds a lot more likely, quite frankly. Probably hoping for a book deal and the talk-show circuit.

19. michiruwater

I absolutely disagree that putting up with horrible treatment for 5 years - which is hardly that long a timespan - is akin to selling out your morals. If she sold out her morals, she'd still be there. She wouldn't have quit, and she wouldn't be suing.

I don't know if what she's saying is true, but so far we have no dirt on her whatsoever, just a natural tendency toward suspicion. It's ridiculous that any person who decides to stand up for herself, whether or not she is lying, will be immediately labeled a liar, morally bankrupt, and a sell out, because she put up with terrible things for five whole years. As if because someone is making $65,000+ a year is automatically exempt from compassion or sympathy. That sort of thinking, to me, is much more morally bankrupt. $65,000 is firmly middle-class, by the way. It's not like she was making millions.

kwanfan1818 and (deleted member) like this.
  20. Tesla

Tesla Whippet Good

She started the job in 2005 before the economy went to shit. She could've quit then and moved onto another job.

ETA I'm not saying she's lying. Just pointing out that she didn't have to stay for 5 years.

21. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

Do you think she's lying?

The problem I have with the thought she could just walk away is that it leaves him free to do it to someone else. If he's guilty of that behavior, of course.

22. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

Anyone making up all the allegations in this particular lawsuit would probably face a lawsuit for malicious prosecution. And her attorneys might face litigation too.

Many of the allegations concern things that ostensibly happened in the presence of third parties. It would be very risky to allege these things if the plaintiff and her attorney weren't convinced they'd be able to get supporting testimony from these witnesses.

People stay at terrible jobs for all sorts of reasons. Good pay, lack of self respect, being adverse to risks, and being worried that people like you won't believe how bad it was are four of the ones I can think of right off the bat.

Be that as it may, quitting earlier in the course of events wouldn't necessarily have stopped her from maintaining a lawsuit.

23. michiruwater

The way it's always worked with me is that I have to eventually come to a breaking point before I just quit something. I don't like to quit things. I had a terrible job at my University with an emotionally abusive boss, and like milanessa said, one of my biggest issues was that it was an undergraduate job with some prestige, and I knew as soon as I left that a naive freshman would get it and wouldn't deserve that treatment (which is exactly what happened when I couldn't take it anymore and did quit, after trying to talk to the aforementioned boss and make it clear that things were not handled professionally, which shockingly did not work). Everyone handles things differently. It's possible her breaking point even came right around the time the economy tanked, but obviously she eventually did decide she had to leave, and she did. I don't think that staying in it for 5 years points at it being a lie. Longer than that, and yeah, I would feel that way, but I just don't think 5 years is really that long when you're talking about a person's livelihood.

24. agalisgv

I think the lawsuit made it pretty clear when the breaking point was--when they agreed to a new employee handbook specifying proper behavior and accountability mechanisms, then shelved it and refused to implement it. The next incident when Bubba Hiers basically insinuated in front of several venders that Ms. Jackson had her job because she was sleeping with him, she quit.

The lawsuit also says Ms. Jackson didn't try to sue after she quit. Rather, she tried to find another job based on her successful job performance for Bubba Hiers. But Paula Deen and Bubba Hiers bad-mouthed her to every vender in the Savannah region, essentially blackballing Ms. Jackson from any future work. Ms. Jackson was forced to leave the city in order to work then.

And that's when she filed a lawsuit. If the black-balling hadn't happened (which apparently occurred because Ms. Jackson was witness to another incident that was potentially litigatable), it doesn't look like any lawsuit would have been filed.

I don't know in what universe an employer can spread rumors about an employee, barring them from any future employment, and not be subject to a lawsuit.

Hope Ms. Jackson wins big.

25. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Hey, why even hold a trial, right? Feck the burden of proof and all that legal nonsense.

26. agalisgv

It does have that air about it, doesn't it?

Plus, she quit at the height of the recession. Generally things have to be pretty bad to do that.
    Yes, Ms. Jackson was very specific on people involved in each incident. Plus she names specific dates--again, something very, very risky to do if you cannot back up the allegation. All the plaintiff has to do is show he was somewhere else that day, and the lawsuit loses credibility.

While people are focused on the racial allegations, what popped into my mind was the possibility of criminal liability for embezzlement and tax fraud. Ms. Jackson alleged Hiers regularly took money from the till prior to that money being recorded (up to $26,000/month). That would qualify as tax fraud at the very least, but also embezzlement since the operation was owned by Paula Deen.
    Yeah, the timing of that is rather convenient, no?

Well, we shall see...

27. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

I always take these with a grain of salt. While the compliant sounds plausible, there are plenty of lawyers who will take cases knowing the the other side would come out cheaper and quicker by just settling. Litigation is so expensive, many people who are sued just throw in the towel, and some lawyers take advantage.

28. michiruwater

Well, yes, that's true, but Paula Deen is hardly in that sort of position. She has plenty of money.

29. Scintillation

Scintillation New Member

Thanks for that info. I think I've been living in Law&Order land, where everything moves absurdly quickly through the justice system.
    I was also disturbed by the allegations about Dustin Walls--if everyone in the company was aware of his "monkeys" comment, they must have witnesses at the ready to verify it.

30. MacMadame

MacMadame Internet Beyotch

In my case, I watch CSI and I get annoyed at how they get DNA evidence in hours when those tests take at least a week (but two weeks is more common) to run. :D