Lawsuit Alleges that Paula Deen Used N-Word and Had Racist Dinner Parties

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by overedge, Jun 19, 2013.

1. JJH

JJH Well-Known Member

Open racism would seem to be a more serious character flaw than any questionable eating habit other than cannibalism.

2. heckles

heckles Well-Known Member

I've never had that or the fried Snickers bars at fairs. It's not that I'm afraid I won't like them. I'm terrified I will, and then what?

3. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

the fried candy bars and chocolate chip cookies are diabolical. lucky for me, i am way to lazy to ever try to recreate them.

4. heckles

Never had the deep-fried cookies either. I did have a deep-friend brownie at a restaurant, and that was all kinds of awesomeness.

5. Scintillation

Scintillation New Member

I had a deep fried twinkie once at the fair. I literally felt the fat slowly coating my arteries. But it was kind of worth it.

6. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

I've never heard of deep fried cookies so I looked them up on Google. I dunno, I am not that into Oreos so they don't appeal to me.

But these chocolate and date filled deep-fried ravioli sound heavenly.

ETA: Ages ago when I was in research I told my boss that I've never had a Twinkie. She marched me down to the hospital cafeteria, bought me one and made me eat it. Le shrug. What's the big deal? May be it's one of those things you have to grow up with to appreciate.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2013
    PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  7. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

i have seen the oreos. but mine were deep fried chocolate chip cookies. they are divine but 1 is plenty.

i dont like oreos.

take away the nostalgia and twinkies arent very good.

8. Tesla

Tesla Whippet Good

Or, you know, a once in a lifetime treat or a once a year treat.

9. cruisin

cruisin Banned Member

I think I made that point.

It just sounds vile. Sorry.

10. Tesla

Tesla Whippet Good

I get that, and I agree. I just didn't like how dismissive you were of people who do like that, and probably only eat it once a year.

11. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

More accusations of alledged discriminations are coming out.

These are some serious allegations. Why are they only now coming out? If my employer consistently refer to me as his 'little monkey', I would have either quit or made a big stink about it, ie secretly record it and put it on utube.

12. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

I just read Marcus Samuelsson's autobiography and he discusses racism in restaurants. The CV might get you in the door, but he had many offers disappear when they saw the color of his skin. I'm not surprised it still goes on today, but it's sickening that it still exists.

And HELL NO to deep fried anything at a fair. I don't even want to think about what else was in the fryer. :scream:

13. nursebetty

nursebetty New Member

People need their jobs. I thought that there had to be more to the law suit and more people involved to have warranted a trial and firing from food network. Of course you never know with a business, they can use one person to make a statement. I was actually a little put off with the diabetic thing. She was still making all the same things and at least tasting them. Not a good role model. Sorry to see this come down.

14. Simone411

Simone411 aka IceSkate98

15. iloveemoticons

iloveemoticons Well-Known Member

I agree that culinary training is not necessary if you are an Olympic gold medalist and more importantly South Park has written a song about you :)

16. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

I've often wondered about this.

Long-held attitudes often die very slowly.
    How many other "Paula's" are there; who never quite understand the evils of history, especially those involving race?
    I'm sure she's not alone.

17. iloveemoticons

iloveemoticons Well-Known Member

The article said the lawyer from Rainbow PUSH went to investigate this, which is what led to these allegations. It says he also spoke to former employees, so they probably did quit.

18. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

They didn't fire her; they chose not to renew her contract, which expires at the end of the month. There is a significant difference. Even so, I would be shocked if her contract did not contain a "morals clause" that would give the Food Network the right to terminate the contract at any time if she engaged in conduct, public or private, that would reflect badly on the Food Network. Such clauses are standard in the entertainment industry.

19. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

It allows both parties to "save face", at least to a degree.

20. MacMadame

MacMadame Internet Beyotch

I thought Twinkies were boring and slightly gross when I was a kid too.

It's also safer for the Food Network legally.

21. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

Love the Daily Show's take on the story, and "Type 1 and Type 2 Racism."

Jessica Williams gets the last word. :respec:

22. heckles

I'm liking the sound of dessert ravioli, regardless of the fried part. I did have chocolate linguini once, not fried, and it was good.

23. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20711557,00.html

More possible fall out for Paula Dean ...

QVC

Sears

24. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

re Paula Deen as an "old Southern lady" - she's 66. She was born in Georgia in 1947, so no doubt saw and experienced a lot of racism in her childhood. But she was a teenager/young adult in the 1960s so surely would have been exposed to what was happening then. By some accounts, she's had a lot of personal challenges herself, so you'd think she'd be more aware and open to the plight of others.

25. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

Believe me, once a year at the county fair will be plenty. I didn't DISlke the Oreos I tried at fair, but once was enough. A year is about long enough for my gall bladder to deal with it. I still can't quite wrap my mind around the actual chemistry of frying buttter, though (and never mind fried BEER, I'm still trying to work that one out.)

I still can't quite get why anyone watches anything *other* than the competitions or docu-style shows on Food anyway...cooking is neither difficult nor interesting enough to warrant watching someone do it, and almost all the hosts are either dudes with similar personalities or bobble-headed skinny females who clearly don't eat what they cook and have annoying verbal tics.

26. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

We once went to the Iowa State Fair, and the local paper had a story about "this year's deep fried innovations" - I don't think anyone considers this kind of stuff to be food any more than the cotton candy many of us had an fairs as children many decades ago. It's just part of the fair experience.

And yes, we did try the deep fried Twinkie - and said yes when extra powdered sugar was offered. Took one bite each, said "OK we've done that" and threw out the rest. :)

27. Rogue

Rogue Sexy Superhero

Here's what another "old Southern lady" has to say about this.

http://juanitajean.com/2013/06/23/i-need-to-say-something-about-paula-deen/

28. Tesla

Tesla Whippet Good

My guess is that the beer, and possibly the butter, are frozen and then breaded or battered and fried, similar to fried ice cream.

29. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

The link to the Civil complaint in the article above is quite disturbing to read :eek:. I wish all of the employees at the brother's restaurant can band together and sue him.

I guess Paula's TV Southern Hospitality personality is all just an act, Y'all. I wonder if Bobby and Jamie Dean also use racist remarks/jokes around the house. They must do if their mother, step-dad and uncle often do.

30. OliviaPug

OliviaPug Well-Known Member

I agree re everything concerning Paula Deen. But I don't think it's fair to leap to a conclusion about her kids. You might be right, but you may be wrong.

O-