Lawsuit Alleges that Paula Deen Used N-Word and Had Racist Dinner Parties

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by overedge, Jun 19, 2013.

1. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

It's quite likely that the defense attorneys asked the same question -- by means of a motion to dismiss or strike that part of the complaint -- and the Court determined that it was enough to state a claim. Without having read her amended complaint, I would surmise that her claim for racial discrimination is based on some combination of (1) ancestry, (2) perceived -- rather than actual -- ancestry, and (3) family relationships. Or perhaps the defense attorneys did their research and found similar cases where such claims had been allowed.

I can see that if a white woman married a black man, some people would discriminate against her, and, depending on the circumstances, they might do the same thing if it was her sibling, rather than she, who married and had children with a black person.

There was a time in American history when Americans whose family was originally from Sicily and other places like Lebanon, Portugal, and even Ireland weren't considered "white," and I have also read of instances of Jewish and Italian-American people who were mistaken for light-skinned blacks. So her actual or perceived ancestry is relevant.

Ms. Jackson's claim to be the victim of racial discrimination does sound weak. She is, however, entitled to her day in court, and she might be able to prevail on that claim.

2. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

I believe she is showing nostalgia for her past instead of shame.

3. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

What's bugging me is some of the posts on other sites that state, "well, black people use it all the time". Not all black people use it, and regardless, it doesn't exonerate non-blacks who do.

My favorite one is, however, the poster who said, "The only n-word she doesn't use is Nutrition." :lol:

4. IceJunkie

IceJunkie Well-Known Member

LOL. People on FSU need to understand sarcasm.

I see Paula Deen's career going south after this.

5. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

Also as an employer she needs to be very careful in how she conducts herself and what she says or how she acts. It's not as if these anti-harassment or anti-discrimination laws are new...not that ignorance of the law is a defense.

6. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Even if the plaintiff loses this case, she has exposed some things that I'm sure Paula would have preferred kept quiet. Either way, Team Jackson has gotten her by the balls.

7. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Article in "People". Dean's facial expression in the picture reminds me of Dana Carvey doing the Church Lady on SNL: "Hmm. Isn't THAT Special." LOL.

Dean's position is that Yes, she did use the N-word, but it was a long time ago, during a different time in America's history and at a different stage in her life. I can see people buying that argument, unless it can be proven that she has used the N-word relatively recently. I think she might lose her position an FSN and maybe Al Roker won't be cooking side-by-side with her anymore on TODAY, but I think her loyal Southern fans, for the most part, will stay with her.

8. falling_dance

falling_dance D. Murakami's Newest Fan

:lol:

Cheylana and (deleted member) like this.
  9. Dr.Siouxs

Dr.Siouxs Well-Known Member

So that's why she slathers mayonnaise on everything. It's a symbol of white pride. :mad:

jamesy and (deleted member) like this.
  10. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

:lol: You are terrible...

11. smileyskate

smileyskate New Member

Exactly.

12. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

This is one of the comments under the article. It's very classy but to be honest, I don't see myself being as forgiving and kind as this person. :respec: to her though.

13. Andrushka

Andrushka Well-Known Member

I read an article earlier from Time and in it ,it was mentioned the danger of all Southerners being viewed to be like her.I can honestly say that I have never in my entire life used the N word or any other racial slur against anyone and I have never heard anyone in my family use it either.It was considered bad manners and mean.And that's coming from the White side of my family.The Native side of my family experienced racial segregation and descrimination.
    Paula Deen has lost a great deal of my respect.

14. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

:lol: :rofl:

15. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

Okay, I just died laughing. :lol:

To be honest, I'm not shocked about this whole thing. Deen is a white woman who was born and raised in a pre-Civil Rights Movement southern state. Now that's not to say that everyone born during that era in this region shares her views or was raised that way, but having lived in the South my entire life and having a fairly extensive knowledge of the history I'd be more shocked if Deen didn't have those kind of views. She and her family obviously look upon times of southern gentlemen, plantations and slaves as a favorable time. Her upbringing probably glorified that time in history which is why she would want to try to bring it back for a party and not seen how WRONG it is.

She's ignorant...in the truest sense of the word. She doesn't understand and for that, I can only pity her small, lard and bacon grease-laden brain. As much as people like to think that racism is a thing of the past there is still a lot of ignorance and even hate in the world. Though no one would want to admit it, there are a number of people who hate Obama simply b/c he is black--when in all actuality he's bi-racial (his mother was white, his father was black) but his skin is dark so it doesn't matter. I'm not saying these people are in the majority (obviously they aren't...Obama's in his 2nd term) but there are people out there like that.

I don't think Paula Deen is a racist. I think she's a simple-minded and ignorant Southern lady who doesn't understand that just b/c a person of color isn't in the room doesn't mean it's a free-for-all when it comes to the terminology you use.

16. Whitneyskates

Whitneyskates Well-Known Member

Paula is so sorry y'all http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8F_3_U7E3s

Two things:
    1) That video isn't even a minute long and it has 875 cuts.
    2) I don't feel any sincerity from her. I do, however, feel a lot of panic. I think she knows that her cash train could be coming to an end and is scrambling to save face.

17. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

That is so bizarre. She looks scared and crazed, it's incoherent (what on earth was it like before the edits??), and comes off as completely desperate. No PR person or lawyer worth their salt would put that out, and I can't imagine the FN or her publisher would either. It's not on her own youtube channel, so where did it come from? Was she trying to do it right and someone has got hold of it and done their own edit and posted it?

ETA - US Weekly is all over it - noting that it was taken down but too late folks - it's out there.

18. skipaway

skipaway Well-Known Member

She looks so scared. Someone should keep a close eye on her. Hope she doesn't do anything desperate.

19. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

You mean like eat another doughnut-bacon-burger? No, that wouldn't be good for her health.

20. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

Variety just reported that she's been let go from Food Network.

ETA to add the quote from Food Network, "Food Network will not renew Paula Deen's contract when it expires at the end of this month."

21. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

22. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

Maybe Paula Deen can go on Sandra Lee's show, and they can make a Kwanzaa KaKe together as a sign of their commitment to diversity :saint:

23. Whitneyskates

Whitneyskates Well-Known Member

I wonder what's going to become of her sons' shows?

24. heckles

heckles Well-Known Member

City slickers were upset that a heavy, middle-age Southern woman with no college degree made good, and for years those types wanted her to fall. Sad that she gave 'em what they wanted.

25. UMBS Go Blue

UMBS Go Blue KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!

26. skipaway

skipaway Well-Known Member

27. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Is losing her FN gig too harsh a punishment? Dean's apology felt sincere enough. Isn't that what the public wanted? They got it. She's an old lady who grew up in a different time and just didn't know any better, but now she does. I mean my parents have said things in the past that made my eyes rolled too, so I can see where Dean is coming from.

28. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

People have gotten fired or dismissed for much less. Why should we give her more leeway? Because she's a celebrity with a following? Food Network made the smart decision because anything less would have been a PR nightmare. She still has her following and most likely has become a martyr for others.

29. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

Frankly, I've never been a fan of butter babe, and after that diabetes stunt she pulled, I had less than zero respect for the cow. Good riddance.
    That video was just bizarre! Can't wait for the memes to start flowing...

30. DarrellH

DarrellH New Member

She not only appears on FN, but reruns play on Cooking Channel. She also has a line of foods in stores. (Cakes, frozen dinners, etc)