Lawsuit Alleges that Paula Deen Used N-Word and Had Racist Dinner Parties

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by overedge, Jun 19, 2013.

1. heckles

heckles Well-Known Member

Huge fan. Sunday evenings were heaven, in '07:

60 Minutes
    Dateline
    Rock of Love
    Scott Baio is 45 and Single
    The Two Coreys

2. MacMadame

MacMadame Internet Beyotch

Plus we're talking about a deposition so the facts were known from the get go.

But it is interesting to see people twist what is going on to fit their own agendas. On my FB feed I've got one raving about the liberal media and dead babies. Yeah, don't ask what Paula Deen's racist behavior has to do with abortion. I don't get it either.

Oh and my A1c is 5.2. Not that that has anything to do with anything. I just felt like posting it.

3. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

:lol:

4. DarrellH

DarrellH New Member

I'm not defending Paula, but our society seems to love to tear down those who have made good. We revere them first, then resent them and drag them down.

5. DAngel

DAngel Active Member

Do people even take celebrity endorsements seriously? (Especially when it comes to medications...)

6. heckles

heckles Well-Known Member

I'm sure that Lisa Rinna would say it Depends.

7. Badams

Badams Well-Known Member

What? Lisa Rinna endorses Depends? :rofl: How did I miss that one?

8. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Depends pays a couple of celebrities to wear depends under their tight fitting outfits to prove that their new design shows no VDL (Visible Depends Lines). DWTS Cheryl Burke has done advertisements for them also.

9. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Well people buy stuffs from TV infomercials so why wouldn't some of them buy celebrity endorsed products. Never under estimate the gullibility (and often stupidity) of your fellow human beings.

10. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

11. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

So very true!

12. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

But are these people "drag down" with made up controversies or are they themselves responsible for creating their own controversies ?

---

I was at Target today, and all of Paula's cooking products are on clearance sale. I definitely need some new pots & pans :)

Last edited: Jul 5, 2013
  13. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

If the celebrity endorsements didn't sell things, the companies wouldn't be hiring the celebrities.

PEOPLE magazine had a list of all of Deen's endorsements, and she even had a contract to endorse rugs. Unless the rugs were specially designed for the kitchen or something, I can't see what value there would be in having a cook/restaurant owner endorse them, but there you go....

14. Spareoom

Spareoom Well-Known Member

It doesn't even have to be an item that specifically relates to the genre of her profession. If say, a TV show does a special on her home and she plugs her decor, she might get money for that. Or if her cooking show also shows her eating in say, her dining room (ala Giada or Barefoot Contessa), her interior design might have all been paid for by someone who wanted their work on TV.

15. cruisin

cruisin Banned Member

People, absolutely, listen to celebrities endorsements. People listen to celebrities for political guidance as well - go figure.

16. attyfan

attyfan Well-Known Member

17. skatesindreams

I read that she hired the crisis manager sometime last week.
    Much needed, I think.

18. Kasey

Kasey Loving on babies!

Crisis Management 101: Shut the f*ck up.

Class dismissed ;)

jamesy and (deleted member) like this.
  19. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

What I find interesting is that there's been pretty much no effort from Paula's camp to address anything beyond the n word. Yes, yes it's before the courts so maybe she can't discuss the case, but there's a lot that could be said and done to address the many allegations in the suit. Maybe they were hoping that very few people even noticed it, but if they can refute or at least counter those claims it would go a long way toward rehabilitating her image.

She's also had a lot of vocal supporters among her fans - now she needs a solid plan to retain their loyalty over the long term, and use that as a base to bring back some and more importantly attract others. For starters, I understand she had another book ready to go but the publisher dropped it - they need to go through that with a fine tooth comb, then fund the publishing themselves and use it as a fundraiser. Not for something directly related to the scandal as that would seem to be too much like she was forced - better something she might already have a connection to or something that might appeal to her fans, like say helping single moms start their own businesses.

20. DAngel

DAngel Active Member

I can totally understand food, rugs, kitchen utensils and many other items... If a celebrity I really like is endorsing a brand of cheesecake, I'd probably try it.

Medications though... :yikes:

21. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

I wonder if using celebrities in ads is more to get people to pay attention to the ad in the first place, than to lend any kind of authority. At least for products that aren't related to the celebrity's expertise.

skateboy and (deleted member) like this.
  22. MacMadame

MacMadame Internet Beyotch

Now she needs to go away. Not because I don't like her but because that's what celebrities who have successfully rehabilitated themselves have done. They go away, let someone else do something stupid and take the heat and the spotlight and come back later when we've all forgotten and the shrillness has died down. Then you act all contrite. Which is easier to do when you've also calmed down.

The public is pretty forgiving and most of the time that works a treat. But you have to go away first.

23. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

I actually lost a few real life friends for speaking out against this on Facebook. Funny thing is, I was trying to figure out how to cut them out of my life since they're pretty toxic to begin with. :shuffle:

Since this whole Paula thing began, I've only read of one employee of hers who has spoken out in her defense. Have more done it? Or are they all just silent about the whole thing? Seems odd that they're not all out front and center talking about her - that to me would be the first thing I'd do as her publicist, agent, crisis manager, butter fryer - get the employees to talk about Paula the boss. Or does the silence mean that it's all true?

24. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

I think they're smart to wait until they're deposed or called to testify at a civil trial.

25. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

Damn - have you ever been near a person with Type 1 diabetes whose Blood Sugars ran in the 40's? I have been, it is very dangerous and life threatening. I've been around people with Type 2 diabetes whose blood sugars have bottomed out. It is not fun trying to get a glucose loading dose into an unconscious person. Or one that is seizing.

And perhaps heckles has not have an annual physical done recently. Both my husband and I have had a full chemistry panel and A1C done as part of those physicals. My husband's parents and his maternal aunt and uncle in law had type 2 diabetes and my husband's A1C has been slightly elevated. The doctor continues to monitor it, but my husband has been following a good diet/exercise plan for the last 10 years. So despite your best efforts, genetics can win out. Or maybe our physicians do a better job at screenings?

26. skatesindreams

27. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

:lol: apple for teacher :respec:

28. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

According to this report, while Random House has refused to go ahead with publishing her latest book, her back list sales have shot up:
    http://www.salon.com/2013/07/05/paula_deen_sees_jump_in_book_sales/

I like the show because I'm fascinated by the huge amounts that go into creating restaurant batches, especially the spices. I don't see that many processed ingredients in the restaurants he showcases, either. Ketchup is the most common one I see.

Portion control, though, is not a common element.

I think TV infomercials work because their repetitiveness lulls you into a hypnotic trance. Most of the ones I've seen that weren't for cosmetics or skin care aren't celebrity-based.

I don't know what his blood sugar levels were, but one of my former co-workers, a generally gentle guy who had an insulin pump, used to get aggressive whenever he needed sugar. We worked in a snarky, aggressive place, so when he'd start to get cranky, which didn't happen often, I just assumed he had reached his limit, but then he'd pound his desk, I'd run to the kitchen and grab some orange juice, he'd drink it -- happily he never refused -- and within minutes he was back to calm.

29. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

It's interesting that the media has been quick to report companies that are severing their ties with Dean, but are pretty much ignoring those that are not. There is a local company that markets under her brand. They ran an article in the local paper how they are not severing ties and felt she'd done all she could do with her apology. I guess that's not nearly as salacious as the main stream media's intent.

30. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

I have all sorts of reactions. Typically I just suddenly will feel weak and kind of sick to my stomach and immediately know what's happening, but a couple times I've suddenly burst into tears about the most menial things, confusing the crap out of the people around me, even though I don't even feel sad or angry or anything! I did this in a staff meeting at EMU once and my director was completely caught off-guard and was like, "why are you crying??" And I said, "I have no idea!"

I figured it out shortly thereafter though. Luckily, I don't think I've ever gotten aggressive or anything.