Lawsuit Alleges that Paula Deen Used N-Word and Had Racist Dinner Parties

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by overedge, Jun 19, 2013.

1. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

2. KHenry14

KHenry14 Well-Known Member

If this is true (and I believe it is) I wonder how Food Network is going to keep her employed. I can't imagine them wanting to be linked with someone who professes those views.

3. Kruss

Kruss Not Auto-Tuned

Not the first time I've heard of this stuff involving her and her brother.

4. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I am a little confused, though. Can you just sue someone for using the N word? I don't think so. If she didn't throw the word at someone then I don't see how you can turn around and sue. I can't sue every person who has ever said something that I found offensive. I work with special needs children and have a special needs nephew. Can I sue the next person who uses the word retard? Free speech, remember? Also, can you sue someone for coming up with an ultra disgusting theme idea for a dinner party? Based on what merits? I find it in extremely poor taste to want a dinner party with slave wait staff but if that's what she wants and people are willing to take the job FOR PAY then what is legally wrong here? Nothing. Maybe someone involved in law can tell us what actual basis she is being sued on. We can't sue someone every time someone does something we don't like.

nubka and (deleted member) like this.
  5. UMBS Go Blue

UMBS Go Blue KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!

Buzz and (deleted member) like this.
  6. overedge

If I understand the article correctly, the person filing the lawsuit is accusing Deen and her brother of racial and sexual discrimination affecting her employment with them. So the use of the N-word is part of that alleged pattern of behaviour.

7. dardar1126

dardar1126 Well-Known Member

I know this whole situation is no laughing matter, but I had to love this snarky statement on Twitter:

:HA!:

EDIT: Nat Turner was a slave in Virginia; he led a bloody slave rebellion in 1831.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2013
  8. overedge

There's a whole thread on Twitter of #paulasbestdishes that is pretty hilarious. Like "don't speak until spoken tu-na salad" :rofl:

9. BigB08822

That makes sense. Thanks.

10. dardar1126

Twitter:

:huh:

11. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

Paula Dean is only being honest and unPC. I personally find it quite refreshing. And she's Southern, right? So, English may not be her first language and she may have been misinterpreted.

I have no idea what a racist dinner party would entail.

kosjenka, skateboy, LadyNit and 5 others like this.
  12. dardar1126

13. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

The plaintiff is, in fact, white, but nevertheless alleges racial discrimination:

http://savannahnow.com/news/2012-04-25/paula-deen-suit-amended-sharper-allegations#.UcIwBOePxn8

By the way, we had another thread about this case last year: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/sho...ng-brought-against-Paula-Deen-and-her-brother

14. Grannyfan

Grannyfan Active Member

Are you serious?

15. Whitneyskates

Whitneyskates Well-Known Member

:wideeyes: What the hell kind of restaurant were they at? And while most people view slavery as a very dark and shameful part of our country's history, Paula apparently thinks that era was just precious.
    :huh: I don't know if you're being serious, but there is a difference in being unPC and being an ignorant racist bitch.

16. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

The plaintiff is white but alleges racial discrimination because her father is olive skinned and her nieces are bi-racial? :huh:

17. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

You two need to read FSU more. manhn was satirizing what a lot of people say when some Eastern European skater says something stupid about the US. The "southern" should have been your tip off. ;)

manhn and (deleted member) like this.
  18. Andrushka

Andrushka New Member

Seriously?

19. Whitneyskates

I don't know why I didn't catch that :eek::lol:

20. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

Could she claim a hostile work place? I'm white, but if someone around me was making racist comments all the time, I would definitely be uncomfortable. Well, *I* would call them out, but maybe others aren't comfortable doing that.

21. Louis

Louis Tinami 2012

Absolutely no excuse for a white person to ever use the n-word. I'm not a fan of blacks using the n-word either, but not being black myself (although I'd probably count under Lisa T. Jackson's definition :lol:), I'll stay out that debate.

Sadly, I'm not surprised based on my several visits to Savannah. The entire area seems to be stuck in the Civil War era. My aunt and uncle lived in a town where the mayor flew the confederate flag. We drove through areas where, quite seriously, white people lived in gated communities while black people lived in honest-to-god shacks on the side of the road. And I thought Philadelphia (where I grew up) had racial segregation and tension!

Shame on Paula Deen. I hope she's fired, even if I think this complainant is opportunistic and probably money hungry.

ETA: I do agree with PL that I would be extremely uncomfortable in any workplace where people use derogatory language toward any group.

22. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

That would be reasonable. But why mention her father and nieces? How is that relevant? :confused:

I've never been to the South unless you count a trip to South FL and am not familiar with the culture. The N-word or any other racial/ethnic slur are never OK.

23. BigB08822

When this WHITE plaintiff gets all the money (if she wins) is she planning on donating it to the NAACP or any other group that advocates for actual minorities?

24. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

You do realize that she also alleges sexual harassment, don't you?

25. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

Why would she have to donate anything if there's enough evidence for the jury to side with her and determine what the appropriate damages are?

Anyway, from a very brief skimming of the complaint, it looks like the harassment and maybe violence allegations are much stronger than the racial discrimination complaints. I would think that the Plaintiff would have to be a member of the protected class to win on the racial discrimination allegation (since most of it was regarding her African-American staff that she felt powerless to protect as their supervisor due to the behavior and actions of Deen and Hiers). Maybe because the complaint is dealing with her African-American staff, she and her lawyer felt it was necessary to mention her father who has a darker complexion and her mixed-race nieces who I am assuming Deen and Hiers knew about. That seems a little weak. However, earlier in the complaint (not under the racial discrimination sub-heading), she stated she was called some racially-charged comments in a derogatory manner such as being called "almost-Jew." On it's face, that's not insulting, but in the context in which Bubba Hiers said it, it may have been.

Anyway, Deen did herself no favors with that deposition. Even if she succeeds in getting the case dismissed or wins at trial (if the case makes it that far), her public persona should take a beating with her explanations or "defense".

I know Plaintiffs try to go for whatever they can at this stage and I could be wrong about this, but it's pretty ballsy to go for punitive damages among the other remedies. It would totally cool (in a nerdy way) to see if she succeeds in getting that from the jury. That would teach Deen and Hiers a lesson.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2013
  26. dardar1126

Twitter:

27. heckles

heckles Banned Member

I'd be more uncomfortable working for a joint whose slogan is, "Our collard greens will move you."

28. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Deen was on a tv show which traces your ancestry called "Who Do You Think You Are?" and I believe on that episode it was discovered that Deen's ancestors were slave holders. That may put her comments about the civil war and slavery in a different light.

29. Whitneyskates

What's wrong with a little truth in advertising? :saint:

30. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

How so?