Late Bloomer skaters?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Vash01, Jun 11, 2011.

1. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

I think any singles skater that did not achieve success by the early twenties could be considered a late bloomer. For pairs that age limit has to approach high twenties. I know that's quite arbitrary, so feel free to shift them if you wish.

Here is my list of late bloomers:

Paul Wylie (27 yrs.- Oly silver; no world medal prior to that)

Rudy Galindo (1st US title at age 26; 96 world bronze)

I would probably add Petr Barna to the list. Before his bronze at the 92 Olympics, his success was pretty limited

Maria Butyrskaya- world champ at 26; not a lot of previous success, other than making the Russian world team

Shizuka Arakawa (24 yrs.- OGM)- she is a borderline case, IMO. She won the worlds 2 years before the OGM. She is a late bloomer only when you compare her with the ladies that won the OGM before her (Sarah, Tara, Oksana)

The Protopopovs- won their first OGM at ages 32 & 35.

2. jlai

jlai Title-less

Whether she'll win a world medal or not, Czisny is a late bloomer to me.

3. Islander

Islander New Member

Joannie Rochette should definitely be considered a late bloomer as well.

4. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

So should Nancy Kerrigan.

5. reese

reese Well-Known Member

6. robinhood

robinhood Active Member

Wasn't she a Euro Champ & World medalist before her world title?? Besides she was close to medaling in 96 worlds, 98 olys too

I like the late bloomers! Usually they tend to be more sophisticated and mature skaters than teen phenoms.:) And every skater you mention had great technique and wonderful composure

In ice dance, Isabelle & Olivier and probably Nathalie & Fabian too in this era of prepubescent acrobatic teams:eek:

7. falling_dance

falling_dance IMVHOTINHAAOIWBDATIITW

Admittedly, she has only one ISU medal and her best days might be behind her, but I'd say that Akiko Suzuki is another example.

8. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

It's hard to compare eras. In the "no pay if your an amateur" era, skaters were expected to go to school or get real jobs fairly young. A 20 year old lady would have been considered "old" in pre 1980 standards.

9. A.H.Black

A.H.Black Well-Known Member

Calla Urbanski? I'm not sure I would add Rocky Marvel, but maybe.

10. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

Tatiana Malinina - At the age of 26-27 years old, she had a 'dream season' in 1998-99, winning the GPF, Four Continents, a couple of other GP medals IIRC, and coming 4th at Worlds. It was a 'dream season' compared to her previous results (I don't think she ever made the top 10 at Worlds before that).

Shawn Sawyer - although his results only improved slightly, he really improved his skating late in his career. For ex. he landed his first perfect 3A at the age of 26. His first GP medal was also at the age of 24 IIRC.

Faiella/Scali - first world medal in 2010 at age 29 and 30.

Kerrs - first European medal at about the same age as Faiella and Scali. I don`t remember Sinead and John`s exact ages.

11. muffinbiscuit

muffinbiscuit Member

Caryn Kadavy. Didn't she complete at Nationals for many years without much success. A switch to Fassi did the trick

12. shutterbug

shutterbug Well-Known Member

Jeff Buttle. :) Won his first (and only :() world title at 25.

13. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

Evan Lysacek, to a certain extent. Always had some success on the international stage but really peaked around 2009 & 2010.

14. AliasJohnDoe

AliasJohnDoe Dornbush 2015!!!

I prefer late bloomers. They skate mature. They also seem to have more confidence which might come from performing for so many years.

Czisny is my favorite late bloomer. :swoon:

15. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

It's always nice to see skaters have success later on in their career- even when that doesn't mean finishing in the top 10 at Worlds. I still remember Malin Hallberg-Leuf from Sweden getting consistent, non-cheated triples in her mid 20's and winning Swedish Nationals at 25.

Anastasia Gimazetdinova had some of her best results after she turned 25, too. She :kickass: at the 2008 4CC

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  16. HeatherC

HeatherC Go Team SW Florida! =)

Amanda Evora & Mark Ladwig are definitely late bloomers. It wasn't until their 8th US National Championships that they finally made an Olympic/World team and Mark turned 30 this year. I really enjoy watching skaters/teams finally break through and find success after some struggles because you see how much it means to them when it happens. :)

17. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

Alissa Czisny ? She won Skate Canada in 2005 at the age of 18. I don't consider her as a late bloomer. ;)

18. geod2

geod2 New Member

If the definition of "late bloomer" means hitting her competitive peak and finally fulfilling her fullest, true potential, then AC would be one...

;)

_

19. geod2

geod2 New Member

I agree.

Also, based on her record (earlier years vs. later years) and that she came closer than Joannie to winning an OGM at about the same age,
    then Elizabeth Manley should also be considered a late bloomer, IMO.

20. jenniferlyon

jenniferlyon Well-Known Member

And on the flip side, today's skaters in their twenties don't have to worry about being beaten by 14 and 15-year-old child stars because the kids aren't allowed to compete in senior-level international events anymore.

21. Seerek

Seerek Well-Known Member

Most of the examples here refer to skaters who were top juniors, but perhaps had to wait a little longer for success in seniors.

To me, a late bloomer is somebody who achieved considerable success competing as a senior despite limited success competing as a junior or novice. Anybody fall under this category?

22. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

How do you define "considerable success"?

I think Caryn Kadavy would fit that mold, since she didn't qualify for US Nationals as a novice or junior and she did win a world medal, although she wasn't that old at the time.

23. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

Jeremy Abbott never competed as a junior internationally (he turned 19 about five months after he won the 2005 US junior title).

Joelle Forte competed at 2000 US Nationals at the Novice level and only made it back to Nationals at the age of 22 in 2009 (12th in Senior) and 2011 (9th). She competed in her first international earlier this year at Gardena Spring Trophy (4th).

24. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

^ Yes! Joelle is the perfect example of a "late bloomer." She tried for many years to advance out of Eastern Sectionals but never did; now she has worked her way into the top ten ladies in the US. Fantastic achievement there.

25. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

I mentioned Tatiana Malinina.. I don't think she was a Jr. World medalist.. in fact, skimming some old jr. world results from the 80s and 90s, I don't see her at all.

26. screech

screech Well-Known Member

He was a late one, but he had relatively quick success after his major international debut (2001 NHK where he won silver) at the age of 19, winning world silver at 22 and Olys bronze at 23.

27. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Sokolova might have won a few GPs in 1999, but it wasn't until 2003 that she started winning World / Euro medals and Russian titles.

With Butyrskaya and Sawyer, it isn't just about peaking competitively but also bringing in / perfecting harder elements at older age. Butyrskaya introduced the 3toe half loop 3sal after she became world champion, and the next season she introduced a 2nd 3lutz. Sawyer finally perfected the lutz in the past 2 seasons and the 3axel this season.

28. Autumn_girl

Autumn_girl Active Member

Leonova is one of the late bloomers as well I guess. Even though she is a Junior Worlds champion, this girl didn't even have a double axel at the age of 14, and with the selection system in Russian sports schools it's almost a miracle she didn't quit skating. And her 3-3 became pretty consistent only now, when she is 20

geoskate and (deleted member) like this.
  29. just wondering

just wondering Member

Very neat about Leonova. No wonder she is so happy to be out there!!!! What a success.

30. Erin

Erin Well-Known Member

I would consider Kurt Browning to be a relatively late bloomer - while he did move up quite quickly once he made it to Worlds, he never competed at junior Worlds and was 19 by the time he won his junior Canadian title. He didn't really start creating any buzz until the 1987-88 season when he was 21. Compared to the other men who stood on the podium with him -- Chris Bowman, Victor Petrenko, Gregorz Filipowski (who landed his first triple-triple at 12 or 13), Todd Eldredge, Elvis Stojko, and Alexei Urmanov -- Kurt was a late bloomer.

I thought of Jeff Buttle when this topic came up as well...he only made it to one junior Worlds at age 18 (the last year he was age-eligible) and finished 7th. Had you asked me after that season, I would have pegged him as a skater that would hang around that 5th-7th spot at Canadians, get a couple of GP events throughout his career, and maybe make a 4CC team if he was lucky. He really broke out that next season because he finally had some success with the triple axel, but you would never have predicted the kind of senior success he had based on his junior resuls.