Larry King Stepping Aside

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by DickButtonFan, Jun 30, 2010.

1. DickButtonFan

DickButtonFan New Member

2. WindSpirit

WindSpirit OmnipresentAdmeanistrator

Some? A monkey could have done his job.

I'm glad he's stepping aside (whatever that means, it sounds like he leaves the door cracked open in case he changes his mind) although stepping down would be preferred. We don't need such a robotic, shallow, simplistic and lazy excuse of a "journalism".

snoopy and (deleted member) like this.
  3. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

I like how he treated people as if they had never been interviewed before.

4. MOIJTO

MOIJTO Banned Member

Isn't he divorcing again? Maybe he should stay he could use the money! :D

5. jenny12

jenny12 Well-Known Member

Was he ever a good interviewer? He seems to have always asked the most simple, obvious questions whether he was interviewing President Obama, President Bush, or Paris Hilton.

6. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

A couple of times I don't think he knew who the guests were or why they were there.

7. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

I like the style of the show but not really Larry himself. But he has had a great career and good luck to him.

8. soxxy

soxxy Guest

I saw a clip from last night's show and Larry told guest Bill Maher that he'd like to see Ryan Seacrest take over. I suppose Ryan can do the celebrity/lighter subjects, but politicians? In a crisis?

9. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

Ryan's been lobbying for the job for a while now. There also was a time LK wanted John Roberts (CNN anchor) to replace him.

10. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Larry King has said that he tries to ask the questions that reflect what the "average viewer" wants to know.
    He's never been a "serious" interviewer, even when talking with important world figures.
    His approach is more conversational, and he's never pretended otherwise.

11. DickButtonFan

DickButtonFan New Member

Ryan has 234577854 jobs already. I hope someone else gets it I'm tired of seeing him everywhere.

12. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

I know who should get it -- Tom Bergeron! :cheer2: :D He'd be great!

13. milanessa

Please, no. Pretty, pretty please.

14. Allskate

Allskate Well-Known Member

I don't think Ryan is particularly good at the jobs he already has. Why have him take over a show that isn't limited to entertainment interviews? Makes no sense.

15. deltask8er

deltask8er Well-Known Member

Is he going to let the baseball coach take his place? :p

http://www.nydailynews.com/gossip/2010/04/21/2010-04-21_coach_slept_with_kings_wife_in_his_bed.html

I remember when he had a weekly column in USA TODAY's Life section. No interesting information whatsoever in those columns. Plus, half of the sentences contained ellipses ( ... ). He couldn't put a complete sentence together to save his life. And back in the 1980s, the accompanying photo of him in the column was of him holding a cigarette. More :yikes: than :smokin:

http://www.usatoday.com/life/columnist/lking.htm

:shuffle:

http://kentsterling.com/2010/02/11/new-larry-king-usa-today-type-column/

Larry King’s USA Today Column Lives, On Twitter ( :scream: )

http://wonkette.com/408000/larry-kings-usa-today-column-lives-on-twitter

There you go! He was tweeting nonsense before Twitter was created! Ahead of his time! :lol: Twitter-like columns that costed USA Today :bribe: .

16. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

"Seacrest Out."...Ugh. He's too busy dating Juliane Hough anyway.

How about the "Scuz Stud" Robert Engle? It's time for him to have a safer reporting job.

17. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

I think the average viewer wants to see more than shameless ass-k*ssing softball questions.

18. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

I'm afraid that's exactly what the "average viewer" wants; and Larry provides it to them!

Last edited: Jun 30, 2010
  19. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Mystery Science Theater 3000 did a great parody of King's column once. I'll post it if I can find a clip.

Julianne Hough is dating Ryan Seacrest!? Ugh, poor girl. I thought she had better taste.

20. soxxy

soxxy Guest

Now Piers Morgan's name is being bandied about on line. Not sure what I think of him, but he *is* Donald Trump's first Celebrity Apprentice!! :)

21. milanessa

He's been talked about for weeks as a replacement. I really don't see it happening.

22. DickButtonFan

DickButtonFan New Member

I hope it's not joy behar.

23. overedge

He's also a liar (check out why he doesn't have the newspaper editor jobs he used to have in the UK) and a relentless self-promoter. Maybe those were good qualities for a job with Trump, but maybe not for qualifying someone to host a high-profile talk show.

24. overedge

I would agree that he provides it to them and then some, but I would respectfully disagree that this is what the average viewer wants. But maybe I am too optimistic....

25. DickButtonFan

DickButtonFan New Member

Maybe CNN could hire another dethroned governor! Lol

26. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

27. DickButtonFan

DickButtonFan New Member

28. deltask8er

deltask8er Well-Known Member

29. MOIJTO

MOIJTO Banned Member

30. jenny12

jenny12 Well-Known Member

I would have liked CNN to hire Tavis Smiley from PBS as I heard his name tossed around, but Piers Morgan isn't any worse than Larry King. I'm not that enthusiastic about him after what overedge revealed about him, but he seems like he'll be the kind of vanilla host that CNN wants.