Land of Contusion

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by neptune, Mar 6, 2011.

?

Why do you think Tessa Virtue stopped skating in the FD at Four Continents?

Poll closed Mar 16, 2011.
  1. She was too injured to continue skating.

45 vote(s)
    40.2%
  2. She and Moir realized that making a mistake might cost them the title.

17 vote(s)
    15.2%
  3. Both of the above.

28 vote(s)
    25.0%
  4. She saw a Britney Spears T-shirt in the audience and quickly became too nauseated to go on. ;)

17 vote(s)
    15.2%
  5. Other

5 vote(s)
    4.5%
  1. neptune

neptune Well-Known Member

It's been a couple of weeks since this happened, of course, but I just recently read a post on another board that was questioning whether Virtue was really injured to the extent that she couldn't have continued to skate. I had never thought about that before, but I do think it's possible. So, I voted option 3 in the poll.

Actually, to clarify that option, "Both of the above" really means: "She was injured, but she could've gone on if necessary; however, that didn't seem worth it after they had just made a mistake." ;)

Last edited: Mar 6, 2011
  2. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

I find it hard to believe that they'd stop just because they made a mistake, which seemed like a small mistake, but then again she didn't look that hurt or upset when she skated over to Igor and Marina

3. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

To stop just because they made a mistake sounds silly to me. I think they withdrew because of Tessa's injury.

4. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

She's never quit before. I think it's because of a muscle spasm which can be very painful, but it also may have frightened her........whoo nose. I feel that a small mistake is not going to make her quit, but skating with acute pain would.........I think she was afraid of doing more damage. She stood there for a couple of moments not saying anything because there was a camera and mic in front of her face.....

5. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

I think she quit because she was in no condition to continue. She has never been one to quit before, for sure, and I doubt she would start now if the pain weren't unbearable.

6. Ituriel

Ituriel Member

We are really bored :lol: I vote for Britney :p

7. triple_toe

triple_toe Well-Known Member

I think it was the injury, but I think she withdrew more because of fear than pain. If it was just pain that she had expected and was dealing with, like last season or the season before, I think she would have gone on. She looked more spooked to me. Or maybe she was having issues with nerves; we know she used to get very, very nervous before competing and it's possible that with a year off and the pressure of being reigning Olympic champs, coupled with the lack of training, the nerves overwhelmed her and she had a moment of panic. Like an anxiety attack-lite.

I'm not a psychologist, nor do I know anything at all about Tessa's situation, but I remember one of my friends from when I used to skate who had a severe injury (one that eventually caused several knee surgeries) and was never the same mentally afterwards. Her former nerves of steel turned to mush and even in training, she no longer could push herself like she used to because she was so paranoid about re-injury. She was off for so long that when she got back into working hard, her mind would send her into such an anxious state that regular training pains she wouldn't have noticed before became terrifying. She was so tense all the time, almost to the point of anxiety attacks, and she quit after about a year. And that's just one story of how injuries can screw with your head. Mine certainly did a number on me.

I think people get so concerned about the physical aspects of an injury that they forget about the mental part, which in my experience is almost always tougher to get over. You have to remember that these athletes tend to be very highly strung perfectionists that have been working for the majority of their young lives towards one goal. When you're faced with something that's out of your hands and might potentially end your career, it's scary. It's even scarier because most of these athletes are really just kids.

Whatever it is, I wish Tessa the best with her recovery. It would be incredibly unfortunate if she was forced to quit before she wanted to. It's kind of, well, disgusting to me to hear that some people think they withdrew because they messed up their twizzles. And I'm not even a fan. To be quite honest, her withdrawing because of injury is much more detrimental to Ice-Dancing Politiks :skandal than them looking a little rusty at 4CC's would be.

ETA: Can someone explain the significance of the thread title to me? :confused: I feel like a total idiot...:eek:

8. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

I voted "other" because I think she withdrew for psychological reasons.

9. neptune

That could well be true.

So far, this poll is evenly divided among the first three options. As for Britney, I heard she's terribly disappointed that she's not winning this poll. But I suppose we won't "hold it against" her. ;)

Here's a little hint:

Well, this is the world we live in (Oh-oh-oh),
    And these are the hands we're given (Oh-oh-oh),
    Use them and let's start trying (Oh-oh-oh),
    To make it a place worth living in.

If the above doesn't help much, you might try Googling it. And please don't wait till tomorrow--do it tonight, tonight, tonight! :)

Last edited: Mar 7, 2011
  10. neptune

As in fear factor? :)

11. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Considering that they guaranteed themselves no title if they quit, but still had a chance for one if they went on, that option doesn't seem to make much sense.

12. neptune

Maybe they didn't think they had room for any errors. And a withdrawal by an OGM is often looked upon as less embarrassing than an outright defeat. Anyway, we're all just speculating, so maybe this discussion is leading us closer to the truth.

13. jlai

jlai Title-less

I found the Britney Spears factor too hard to resist. :lol:

14. neptune

Well, we won't hold it against you either. :lol:

Isn't that how life goes? You're just walking along, minding your own business, and then Britney happens. :eek: :D

15. Fallcolor

Fallcolor New Member

Voted for, Britney bitch! :cheer:

16. neptune

OK, I've had enough--don't you dare gimme more!!! :lol:

17. skatepixie

skatepixie Well-Known Member

I voted for the first option, but my actual opinion is more like "they stopped skating because of her injury. Perhaps she could have forced herself to complete the program, but the risk of making the injury worse didn't seem worth it, especially if she felt 'off.' After all, it's only 4cc's, and a medal at 4cc's isn't worth staying home from Worlds. Better safe than sorry."

18. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

It's simple why she quit. The Worlds are more important then 4CC so why skate through the pain and make it worse. I guarantee if she feels pain at Worlds she will probably skate though it.

19. Loves_Shizuka

Loves_Shizuka Gettin' my sass out

She blatantly quit because she finally realised the dress she was wearing was absolutely hideous and felt too embarrased to go on.

(In all seriousness, I hope she's OK and well for worlds. :) )

20. ~tapdancer~

~tapdancer~ Well-Known Member

Every competition is important to the skaters competing. There has been many instances of skaters injured during a program and soldiering on. It's that competitive spirit. I have no idea why Tessa stopped and we'll probably never really know. Can't imagine it was anything calculated, it just happened. It's still kinda weird, though, imo.

21. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

I find it offensive when some people doubt about skater's injuries........... Who on earth would do such a shameful thing? To fake injuries in the middle of competing to avoid losing the little title?

I can only hope everything's gonna be fine at the worlds with V/M.

22. attyfan

attyfan Well-Known Member

I think it was a combination of the first two, but not in the sense the OP proposed. I think that a combination of error and pain may have triggered a belief that she already had re-injured her knee -- or, at least, the mistake would have been an indication that the pain was something to be worried about. Absent the mistake, I think she may well have considered the pain as not indicating something potentially serious.

23. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

The question isn't whether she had an injury, it's whether the injury was mental, physical, or a combination.

24. Judy

Judy New Member

V&M came 2nd last year at 4CC. Placement this year wasn't as important as showing their programs to the judges for the first time. I have no doubt that she had aggravated the muscle and that both of them wanted to skate but did not want to risk further injury.

I doubt very much it was a mental situation. I think the mistakes happened in the program due to the leg acting up.

25. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

I don't think it was that important for them to win it.
    So, I think they withdrew because of Tessa's injury.

26. Judy

Judy New Member

I don't think a win was important but showing it to the judges and getting back into competition mode certainly was.

I can't believe that we've had to wait THIS long to see them again. It seems like forever.

27. skatepixie

skatepixie Well-Known Member

I think you mean 2009. :p