Laetitia Hubert video interview

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by ks1227, Feb 4, 2012.

1. ks1227

ks1227 Well-Known Member

Anyone up for giving us a sense of the interview? My French is only good enough for a few words and phrases here and there. :eek:

Video interview with Laetitia Hubert

Nice to see her twenty years after her unusual Olympic debut!

2. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

Just a summary, not a complete translation :

She talks about her best memories in her competitive career : her Gold at 1992 Junior Worlds, her win at 1997 Trophee Lalique, and 1992 Olympics.
    She is now a coach in Albertville, since 2003. She is really happy.

She talks about the new french team, that she is happy to see that we had so many french skaters at last Euros (3 men, 2 ladies, 2 dance teams, 2 pair teams).

A Gala will be held in Albertville on next February 19th, with every skater from the Albertville club, and Philippe Candeloro (as a guest) and Ballet from Villard-de-Lans.

The last part is about how she thinks Figure Skating will be in 20 years : she hopes to see a better and better french team, that the ice rink in Albertville will still be here.

3. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

She looks wonderful! :respec: briancoogaert, any chance you missed a part where she mentions return to amateur competition? :D

ks1227 and (deleted member) like this.
  4. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

Damn the video was removed. I would like to see what she looks like these days.

5. casken

casken Well-Known Member

Have you seen this?
    It's from the past month or so.

I hope whoever had that interview on youtube puts it back up . :(

Last edited: Feb 7, 2012
    PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  6. Ozzisk8tr

Ozzisk8tr Well-Known Member

Ooh, she's so voidy in that. Even if the skills aren't there anymore she certainly is way more expressive these days. First spin was really enjoyable. Thanks for posting.

7. ks1227

ks1227 Well-Known Member

Ironic that she would be coaching in Albertville, where she first got so much attention good and bad!

I'm glad that she's happy though. With all her injuries, disappointing results, conflicts with her federation and controversies with coaches, it's nice that she still found a post-competitive career in the figure skating world that she enjoys!

8. Aussie Willy

9. ks1227

ks1227 Well-Known Member

She was one of the highlights for me getting a rare chance to see a Worlds live in Minneapolis! :D Her speed, the height on her jumps, and unusual choreography were wonderful, in spite of her mistakes. Gutsy attempt at a 3T-3T there toward the end.

I also thoroughly enjoyed Anna Rechnio that year (and the following year).

10. Aussie Willy

I was there too (the only Worlds I have been to). Hubert did a cracking 3lz-3t in practise which was enormous. When her jumps were on they were fantastic.

I love that music choice though - really different. I would like to see one of the current crop of skaters try it - maybe someone like Takahashi.

ETA - here is her 97 Lalique performance where she beat Lipinski. The reaction at the end is priceless - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2I9H-kjLU_Q&feature=related

Last edited: Feb 8, 2012
  11. casken

casken Well-Known Member

Both of Hubert's programs from 98, the sp and lp, are two of my favorites ladies programs ever.

I just wish we got to see the sp from Lalique. I think that's the only time she skated it completely clean.

She was skating the sp beautifully at the Goodwill games until she had a typical Hubert moment right at the end. I love how you can see the French judge's :mad: reaction to that fall too.

12. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

13. Fridge_Break

Fridge_Break Well-Known Member

That was a competition that I only saw when it aired originally (all those years ago...) and that was the one moment that sticks out in my mind, the waxel with the crash at the very end of a great performance. Loved that SP of hers, the music is pretty. Also her Dead Can Dance program was unusual and interesting that year.

Glad to hear she's doing well and happy now. She was one of those that was not exactly a top favorite of mine, but I always wanted to see her do well.

14. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

Thanks for the link. Great to see some current skating of hers, even though it appears perhaps she's lost a triple or two? ;)

15. briancoogaert

She still has speed and voidy choreo ! :cheer2:

16. CantALoop

CantALoop Well-Known Member

:cheer2: Great to see she still has her avant garde spark and is still dancing to her own beat.

That being said, just like how there can't be an Olga Markova thread without mentioning the 1998 Jaca World Pros, there can't be a Laetitia Hubert thread without mentioning her awesome and voidy "Dying Prostitute on Crack" :inavoid:

I just lurve the bizarre music, all the crazy weird asymmetric positions, and how as the season went on, she changed the ending to be less morbid. It's too bad she eventually ended up ditching the program by Worlds :wuzrobbed:

17. cholla

cholla Fearless Musher

I'm meeting Laetitia Hubert in a few days. Any questions people ? ;)

The video linked in the OP is available HERE.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
  18. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

I'd like to know where the artistic ideas came from for Laetitia's competitive programs.

(Whether they were her idea, and what her inspirations were, or whether she relied on choreographers and who they were)

I'd say the earliest program of Laetitia's that I loved was her Edith Piaf exhibition when she won Junior Worlds -- too bad it doesn't seem to be on youtube

19. kirkbiggestfan

kirkbiggestfan Well-Known Member

Did she regret not taking extensive ballet classes when she was younger? Judges often complained about her lack of grace and flexibility.

20. casken

casken Well-Known Member

Awesome. :D

I like to hear about the 97-98 season and how she handled all the ups and downs. After beating Lipinski, she had to withdraw from Euros, the Olympics were a disaster, and if I remember correctly the fed kicked her out of her rink, but then she did very well at worlds anyway. It was definitely an interesting season for her.

If you're not to :eek: to ask, I'd like hear a bit from her about the Prostitute LP. (and where the music came from!)

21. Aussie Willy

How did she find the music from Dead can dance? Because it really was so different (and still is).

22. briancoogaert

I don't know who choose her Dead.can.dance music, but Dead can dance is famous in France, when it comes to dance and choreo.
    Also, the choreographer of both of her program in 1998 (Piano lesson and Dead can dance) was Sebastien Lefrançois, a french dancer, and Sabrina Lefrançois's brother (the former partner of Jerome Blanchard).

gkelly and (deleted member) like this.
  23. Loves_Shizuka

Loves_Shizuka Gettin' my sass out

My god she's hardly aged!

I loved Laetitia. I wish she'd won the bronze in Minneapolis. Her programmes were so :inavoid:

24. Louis

Louis Tinami 2012

The Hooker on Crack program is still the voidiest program I've ever seen. Police sirens, seizures, it had it all!

Love, love, love Laetitia! She's a bull in a china shop!

25. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

That's a lot of pretty for one family -on the ice and off! It's very unfortunate Sabrina developed her eating disorder issues. She and Jerome were such an elegant pairing.

26. skatak

skatak Well-Known Member

FYI, there was a dance show in Les Invalides last summer choregraphed by Sébastien Lefrançois :)

27. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

Have you met her yet? If not, please invite her to all future FSU gatherings. :respec: :cheer2:

28. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

How did the meeting go?

29. cholla

cholla Fearless Musher

It has been postponed due to my complicated schedule but it's still in the air, possibly before Worlds or so I hope. And all FSU questions (including those received by PM) have been duly noted. Fell free to add some !

30. Laetitia_Fan

Laetitia_Fan New Member

:scream: I hope I am not too late!

Please ask her who designed her costumes and which one(s) stands out as her favourite of all time!

Where did she get the creative ideas for her programs.

During her 1997 Trophee Lalique Dead Can Dance FS, she was gunning for a 3T-3T but only ended up doing a 3T-2T (you can tell by the footage and her reaction after she landed the combo). Did she think she was going to place second at this point?

Where is her Trophee Lalique trophy and medal on display right now? I would keep mine in my bedroom! LOL

And, how fans can contant her and send fan mail! I've always wanted to send Laetitia a letter but never knew how to contact her now that her official site is defunct.

Thanks so much!