Ladies Medalists at Canadian Nationals

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by haribobo, Dec 6, 2010.

Who will medal?

1. Cynthia Phaneuf

95.5%
  2. Amelie Lacoste

92.9%
  3. Myriane Samson

64.3%
  4. Diane Szmiett

3.6%
  5. Kate Charbonneau

3.6%
  6. Alexandra Najarro

3.6%
  7. Adriana DeSanctis

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Dallas Daniel

0.9%
  9. Vanessa Grenier

1.8%
  10. Devon Neuls

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. Jessica Dube

8.0%
  12. Rylie McCulloch-Casarsa

0.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. haribobo

haribobo Well-Known Member

Who will medal? Multiple choice allowed.

2. geoskate

geoskate Well-Known Member

This one is a lot easier than the men's poll, IMO.

3. haribobo

Yea, I'm realizing its not that interesting. Maybe a poll for 4-6 places would be better...

4. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

Phaneuf, Samson, and Lacoste. In any order. Would like to see Samson win but somehow I am doubting it. LOL at the Jessica Dube votes. I doubt she will even be top 10.

5. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

Not one of these ladies has a clear path to the Nationals gold based on skating this season. Phaneuf had momentum coming in from her Worlds 5th place, but her results have not been better than Lacoste on the Grand Prix. Amelie, a 3rd and a 5th, has actually bettered Cynthia, with two 4th places, due to her bronze from Skate Canada, the only senior international medal from a Canadian lady so far this season.

6. Seerek

Seerek Well-Known Member

Will there be skate-off for the Worlds spots at 4CC if Myriam Samson finishes top 2 at Nationals? Here scores from the GP are actually not too far behind Lacoste or Phaneuf even though she had a 7th and 8th place finish.

7. Skate Talker

Skate Talker Replaced the display under my name

Usually Skate Canada will let it be known prior to Canadians if they will base selection solely on those results or if they will keep their options open until after 4CC.

8. haribobo

Not that I would put it past them, but really what would be the point of a skateoff? Top 2 at Nats should go, end of story. It's not as if Cynthia or Amelie has been so dominant as to warrant some kind of extra treatment (although Myriane has had some pretty disappointing results over the years) SC hasn't used 4CC as a skateoff for several years now, right? I think Myriane will need to skate close to a blinder to make top 2 anyway, I'd imagine she isn't exactly favored at this point, but could slip in if Cynthia or Amelie blow up.

9. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

I think Lacoste has a good shot at winning the event depending on which Cynthia shows up. Amelie has been pretty consistent with her jumps so far this season, so if Cynthia has problems with her FS, and Amelie doesn't, I could see Amelie edging her out for the gold. Anyone else agree?

10. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

It's really a toss-up. Both Cynthia and Amelie often struggle on the 3Lutz. Both of them have great 3loops though. Neither one needs to do a long program where they repeat the 3Lutz. Phaneuf's jump layout from TEB is a much better strategy for her and more resembles her Worlds LP layout from last season that she had more success with. Both of them have to fully rotate their jumps and avoid popping. I think Cynthia has better spins, but I prefer Amelie's footwork.

11. pinky166

Judging from last year's scores though, if Cynthia skates well her PCS will be HUGE (remember, she scored 66+ for her SP last season with no 3-3 and a 3t out of steps), whereas I'm not sure Amelie's will, her PCS last year weren't so good, but maybe that's because she didn't skate very well. Amelie does seem to have improved her 2nd mark this season though, and even at SC Cynthia wasn't held up when she faltered in the FS.

12. judgejudy27

A clean Samson cant even beat a clean Mira Leung. She certainly isnt going to beat even Lacoste, let alone Phaneuf, without major help.

13. pinky166

I was talking about Lacoste, not Samson :)

14. judgejudy27

I wasnt referring to your post specifically, just the general points of this thread.

15. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

Gawd, if Lesley Hawker were still competing, she could probably beat all of them.

16. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

It seems FSU doesn't have any doubt !

17. chipso1

chipso1 Well-Known Member

I'd love to see Lacoste nail her 3Lo+3Lo and take the title! :kickass:

18. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

:) That would be great. But I'd be even happier if Phaneuf skated two clean programs to win her second national title. :cheer2:

19. pinky166

I'd be happy if either happened! I'm also glad to see Samson skating well again after her very disappointing Worlds.

20. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

I think there should be a skate-off if Samson comes 1 or 2, because Samson did go to worlds last year and finish like.. 23rd.

21. chipso1

chipso1 Well-Known Member

29th. She didn't make the cut for the FS.

22. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

Is Mira Leung competing this year? Just curious.

23. mag

mag Well-Known Member

No.

24. Skate Talker

Skate Talker Replaced the display under my name

Speaking of not making the Free Skate cut - are we now down to only 18 continuing, or is that still in the future?

25. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

Whatever the outcome of Canadian Nats, it's going to a stretch for a Canadian woman to make top 10 and get 2 spots without Joannie there. There's just too many headcases, and inconsistent skaters..........probably the ones who perhaps have any change to do it are Cynthia and Amelie unfortunately, and that's if others falter especially the Americans and Japanese women.........I hope I'm wrong though.

26. judgejudy27

I dont think how the Americans and Japanese skate will matter much to the 2 Canadians. That is because the Canadians cant really hope to finish above any of them. All 5 should finish ahead of both Phaneuf and LaCoste/Samson even not skating that well, unless Phaneuf has a blinder of a competition like last year. Other than Czisny none of the probable candidates are that liable to really bomb, and Czisny could do that and still likely beat the Canadian girls who are pretty certain to not skate clean themselves and Czisny would easily outscore all of them including Phaneuf in anything else. More likely for one Canadian to finish 9th or 10th they will have to hope someone like Kostner majorly bombs, Lepisto shows up in horrible shape for Worlds (or doesnt show up at all), Korpi majorly bombs, or people like the 2 Russian girls have some problems. If Kim shows up at Worlds as expected and leaves the 2-10 spots remaining for the rest the top 10 gets more crowded even if the field is weaker this year perhaps.