Ladies' champion at Worlds

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by neptune, Mar 11, 2011.

?

Who will win the ladies' event at Worlds?

Poll closed Mar 21, 2011.
  1. Miki Ando

52 vote(s)
    25.7%
  2. Mao Asada

44 vote(s)
    21.8%
  3. Yu-Na Kim

82 vote(s)
    40.6%
  4. Carolina Kostner

3 vote(s)
    1.5%
  5. Kanako Murakami

1 vote(s)
    0.5%
  6. Mary Ann Summers

5 vote(s)
    2.5%
  7. Other

15 vote(s)
    7.4%
  1. neptune

neptune Well-Known Member

"Unstable Mao"? Ah, so that's why Mao was throwing udon at Miki after the medals ceremony! ;)

Rachael Flatt is injured?

2. sydneyphoenix

sydneyphoenix New Member

What a shame World ranking No. 2 (Suzuki), No. 7 (Rochette) and No. 10 (Lepisto) aren't participating...mind you, the Worlds may not go on, and some people are making strong cases that it SHOULDN'T. :(

3. RunnersHigh

RunnersHigh Well-Known Member

So, do you think the injury was just excuse to withdraw? I know it's useless to inform you below but it must be useful to some other FSUers.

When was the injury begun?
    She felt a pain around her hip at the end of the January, about 2 weeks before the competition (The competition was from February 11 to February 17, 2008.)

What did team Yu-Na do on her symptom?
    Because she desperately wanted to perform her programs in front of her home crowds, they combined training and treatment together. But it was not improved at all that they decided to give up the competition but tried to focus on WC 2008 planned 10 weeks later. They introduced this situation to the public on February 6.

Team Yu-Na tried to find the reason of injury and visited some hospitals and oriental medical clinics in Canada. But they couldn't find the exact reason and how to treat. They finally decided go back to Korea because they're not accustomed with hospitals and medical system in Canada.

What happened in Korea?
    She came back to Korea February 11, 2008.
    Nowhere but to a hospital from airport and she spent all the day to check up her whole body and examine everything.

She was diagnosed with "Sacroiliac joints" injury and told "3 months" to obtain permanent relief.

After the intensive care for a while, gradually the pain seeped away. So she skated little by little but she stopped training on and off the ice for about a month even skating itself was hard thing to do.

At Lotte ice rink, well known amusement skating facility, she started training with Brian Orser. But as you may know it's not the place for any medal contender to prepare his/her upcoming World Championship.

IS THIS SO CALLED "sudden "injuries" on very convenient timings?".
    Stop training for a month during the season is a piece of cake?

Be your own judge.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2011
    PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  4. NMURA

NMURA Member

Of course, they needed to persuade the ISU and the Korean federation in "plausible" manners. I can imagine that Kim's situation before 2008 4CC was extremely nerve-racking. There are enough reasons for her to avoid confronting her arch-rival with the strongest ever programs in front of the home crowd. We know that she's very fragile under the home pressure from the 2008 GPF case. The loss would definitely hurt their national pride (which is very important in South Korea rooted with strong anti-Japanese nationalism) and her chance at worlds. It's clearly a little to gain, much to lose situation. Kim is not an ordinary citizen. If someone like her got suddenly "injured" at THAT very convenient timing, I don't think it's "rude" to be doubtful.

5. RunnersHigh

:blah:

You can imagine everything.

I'm not sure who and what programs you're talking about but didn't she beat her arch-rival with the strongest ever programs 2007 GPF at Torino just before the injury?

2008 GPF was 11 months later and it's just a consequence known.
    Plus, she won Korean Championships, held in Korea, 5 times in a row under the pressure.

Is that your view point on this sport?

Strong anti-Japanese nationalism? Some clearly have like some Japanese have strong anti-Korean nationalism.

Then why did she participate 2010 Worlds and planed to do 2011 Worlds?

As I wrote above it was not a sudden injury. It was felt and intensified.

For the convenient timing, she injured on foreign soil, visited hospitals instead of skating club, was diagnosed with "Sacroiliac joints" injury, got an intensive care, stopped training for a month...

Then why didn't she do that 2010? Even Speedy warned and asked her to participate?

6. sydneyphoenix

sydneyphoenix New Member

Okay, I usually stay away from "controversial", politically charged debates, but some of your assertions are distasteful in my opinion, Mr/Ms NMURA.

From what I've skimmed over, one of your main point is that with the Worlds now in doubtful schedule, Yu-Na Kim has a convenient "excuse" not to participate. First of all, if anyone that I know has a plan to go to Japan in near future, I will advise them to reconsider in the strongest possible terms. Earthquake and aftershocks are bad enough, especially for someone who's not used to having them frequently, but this nuclear meltdown, with detection of caesium, takes the problem several notches up, with possible complications that we can only speculate over. Also, if you are to assert that Ms. Kim has a convenient excuse to withdraw, one can make a similarly valid point for any of her competitor-it may take a great deal to get over embarrassment of losing to someone who's taken a whole year off. So for all we know, it could be Ms. Kim's competitors who are breathing sighs of relief (if you are going to take it that far).

To this 2008 4CC debate-I didn't follow details back then, but from what I found out later, Ms. Kim's injuries were significant and that she carried her injuries to the Worlds in Sweden. You are welcome to your belief, but if you truly believe that she did fake it or wormed out of tight corners without due cause, I wonder why you didn't take it up with ISU and have Ms. Kim and/or KSU disciplined.

You raised the point about the prospect of Koreans taking Ms. Kim's defeat badly, due to "anti-Japanese nationalism". As I understand it, dislike between Korea and Japan is mutual; I suggest you stop pointing fingers as continuing to do so may open the hell-gate with partisan rambles. Just so you know, in this context, I can see Japanese people taking their athletes losing to Ms. Kim just as badly as Koreans would take Ms. Kim losing to Miki Ando, Mao Asada or Kanako Murakami, especially in context of Ms. Kim's prolonged break from the competition this season.

Finally, what do you mean by anything short of "absolute win" for Ms. Kim will hurt her career? If I may indulge in speculation, I suspect you mean winning with complete dominance like in 2009 Worlds or XXI Olympics Winter Games. If that's what you're getting at, who are you to say that Ms. Kim have to win by gazillion points to enhance her career (which will be more difficult due to rule changes) while others will have to "simply" win, even if by margin of 0.01 point? Please enlighten me if you meant something else by your statement.

All in all, no need to be so nasty against a particular athlete. If you don't like Ms. Kim (or any other athlete), you can criticise her logically, with evidence to back up your arguments, but I don't see much of that from you. I suggest you take a chill-pill and calm yourself a bit.

With best regards.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2011
    RunnersHigh and (deleted member) like this.
  7. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

thanks to Runnershigh and sydneypheonix!!

it's like talking to the wall forgodsakes..:violin:

8. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

Those rankings are hilarious. Suzuki World #2, ROTFL!! Or Rochette at only #7 while Suzuki is at #2.

9. sydneyphoenix

sydneyphoenix New Member

Well, Ms. Rochette is taking this season off while Ms. Suzuki had a long season including a few Senior B events...

I always thought ISU should give byes to the Worlds to recent Olympic, Worlds (and maybe GPF) medalists and top 3 or so in ranking tables (though most of these lists will probably cross-match).

10. RunnersHigh

I think the rank is from the World Standings of ISU.

Anyway, when is the time for me to do some packing or not for the WC. :confused:

11. giselle23

giselle23 Active Member

Why would Yu Na withdraw? While no skater can ever claim an absolute lock on a gold medal, Yu Na comes pretty close.

12. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

How the hell is Suzuki #2 in the world rankings?

13. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

She skated a packed schedule and several Senior B events, so got major points that way.

14. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

I'm confused by that too. Miki is below Akiko and Miki's won pretty much everything this season...

15. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

16. mysticchic

mysticchic Well-Known Member

OMG quit feeding the troll. If you ignore it, they go away!

17. millipied

millipied New Member

I guess it is time to change the title to "Who would have won, if Worlds were held?":(

18. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

This is so confusing..Ando and Czisny are the clear winners of this international season for me.

19. Jot the Dot Dot

Jot the Dot Dot Headstrong Buzzard

Might be old news, but she was battling a foot injury in December.

20. neptune

neptune Well-Known Member

OK, thanks. Did you kick her or something because she didn't get you a Christmas present? ;)

Last edited: Mar 16, 2011
  21. wonderlen

wonderlen New Member

That's because Ando and Cizney only competed in senior 'A' competition like Grand Prix Series and 4CC. Korrpi and Kostner also compete in regional 'B' ranked events with skating their ass on the ice literally and still win and get points for it. I know, its ISU wierd rules.

22. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

ISU rankings are a joke. They have Valentina MarcHel ahead of Kanako Murakami in the rankings.

23. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

:rofl:

That IS a joke! Murakami is 3rd at GPF and last year's JW champ. Has Marchei ever won a medal at a Senior A?

24. wonderlen

wonderlen New Member

No one take ISU ranking seriously. But it does benefit many European skaters with prize money thou. Maybe the system is designed that way.

25. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

Just sit right back and you'll hear a tale,
    A tale of a championship
    That was planned for years and years
    Without any slip.

Mao Asada was the defending champ,
    Kanako was glad to be sent.
    Four dozen ladies trained all year
    For a world-class event, a world-class event.

The earth started shaking hard,
    The waves came crashing down,
    If not for the courage of the ISU,
    No ice rink could be found, no ice rink could be found.

The field set down far from the shore of that battered Asian isle
    With Yuna Kim
    The Lipper too,
    Ando, Kostner, and Phaneuf,
    The movie star,
    The professor and Mary Ann,
    Here at Megasport Rink.

So this is the tale of the skating stars,
    They've waited for a long, long time,
    They'll have to make the best of things,
    It's an uphill climb.

Yuna Kim and the Lipper too,
    Will do their very best,
    To get their training back on track,
    And make the others finish third.

With phone, with lights, with Twitter feed,
    With every luxury,
    Eating blini and caviar,
    As sophisticated as can be.

So join us here next month my friends,
    You're sure to get a smile,
    From those plucky lady skating stars,
    Here at Megasport Rink.

:watch:

skatepixie and (deleted member) like this.
  26. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

you blew my mind away:respec:

27. wonderlen

wonderlen New Member

LOL hahaaaa Still can't figure out who is Mary Ann (*prob inside jokes) :rofl:

28. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

Buffy Summers is gonna kick Mary Ann Summer's arse! You heard it here first! :kickass:

29. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

I hope one of the newbies wins, but I think it will be a Yuna/Mao/Miki event.

30. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

What newbies are there other than Murakami. The senior Worlds debut of most of the newbies is still to come.