Ladies' champion at Worlds

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by neptune, Mar 11, 2011.

?

Who will win the ladies' event at Worlds?

Poll closed Mar 21, 2011.
  1. Miki Ando

52 vote(s)
    25.7%
  2. Mao Asada

44 vote(s)
    21.8%
  3. Yu-Na Kim

82 vote(s)
    40.6%
  4. Carolina Kostner

3 vote(s)
    1.5%
  5. Kanako Murakami

1 vote(s)
    0.5%
  6. Mary Ann Summers

5 vote(s)
    2.5%
  7. Other

15 vote(s)
    7.4%
  1. neptune

neptune Well-Known Member

I guess it's about time we started the polls for Worlds. :) I'm picking Ando. She's not a sure bet, but I would give her a slight edge over Kim.

2. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

It's very difficult to determine without having seen Kim once this whole year. I'm pretty sure Ando will be somewhere on the podium. Mao could win or be out of the medals depending on the day. Kostner, Korpi, Czisny, and Murakami will look to spoil, I think.

Right now, I'll be bold and say Kim will win.

3. neptune

Buncha spoilsports. ;)

Actually, being bold would be saying that one of those four will win. :)

4. jjane45

jjane45 Active Member

Mao FTW! (really just want her to be her happy self)

5. neptune

I know what you mean. In a sense, I don't care who wins--I just hope we see some stirring performances...and, of course, fair judging. ;)

6. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

Ando has been so solid, has she made a single mistake in the LP all year? I have to think if she just sticks to her game plan she will sneak in for the win. Asada is doing better but will probably be lucky to go completely clean and have both 3axels rotated. Kim is a complete question mark and she has only ever gone completely clean in the LP once as it is. A clean solid skate with 6 triples could be all one needs.

7. FrouFrou

FrouFrou New Member

Gut says Ando, but hoping it's Asada.

8. WayCon

WayCon New Member

Who can say what will happen without knowing something about Yuna's current condition. Has anyone read/seen/posted anything that would give us a sense of how she is right now?

Yuna aside, though, I would say Ando, unless Asada gets lucky. Ando sometimes isn't the most exciting, but she seems solid, and she appears to be getting stronger (and more exciting) with each event.

I can't be sure about this, but I often get the feeling that the judges want to give it to Kosner--"Let's give it to a (western) European once in a while." I wonder if that same sentiment bouyed Lambiel, once in a while, as well.

9. RumbleFish

RumbleFish New Member

Are they going to go on with the Worlds in Tokyo?
    I've just heard that Japan was hit hard by a massive earthquake.

10. WayCon

WayCon New Member

I would guess, yes, the event will still happen, judging from the reports, but who knows? Japan has very high safety standards for the construction of buildings, so the country will probably not be devastated. Plus they have several weeks to pull themselves together.

11. RumbleFish

RumbleFish New Member

I don't question safety standards in Japan, but what I've seen on TV seems pretty bad. I heard both the Narita and Haneda Airports have been closed. I won't be surprised to see significant casualties in both human lives and infrastructure.

Preliminaries are scheduled only 10 days away, and I fear that they are hit too hard to carry on with the Worlds.

12. FrouFrou

FrouFrou New Member

I think that should be least of your worries.

13. RumbleFish

RumbleFish New Member

14. skatepixie

skatepixie Well-Known Member

If they do hold it, I would like to see Mao win. And I'm not even a fan, generally.

15. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

Who is Mary Ann Summers?

16. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Miki I think will be on the podium, not sure if she will win. I picked her in the poll, because she's been more consistent than Mao this season, Yuna has yet to compete, and the likes of Kostner, Korpi, Czisny are headcases. As for Murakami, she has a chance, but she's really young and unexperienced so idk if nerves/pressure will get to her or not, plus I also don't think she's world medalist material quite yet unless some big talents bomb (which is definitely possible). Mao has been skating better, but she hasn't been able to beat Miki yet, so I tend to think she'll be right below Miki here again. Yuna at her best is much better than Mao and Miki, but I don't know how much we can expect from her at this point, and I'm also curious about her LP layout. Czisny may make the podium but I doubt she wins, and I'm starting to fear she peaked too early this season.... Kiira couldn't handle the pressure at Euros, so I doubt she goes clean at Worlds.

17. a56

a56 New Member

I think Miki will win her 2nd world title. Given her two wins over Asada at her country's nationals and at Four Continents, if she's clean, I think she'll win.

18. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

:eek:

That you should have to ask!!!!!

:scream:

19. a56

a56 New Member

Actually, I had to look her up on Wiki. I had no idea who she was either. :cold:

20. miki88

miki88 New Member

Who knows? I guess it's a safer to bet on Miki or Kim but then there are always a few surprises at Worlds. And one reason I am wary of picking Miki as the winner is that she has proven to underperform when she is picked as a strong contender. Such as at Olympics, this year's GPF. However, when the spotlight is mostly on others, she surprises us like in 2009 and 2007 Worlds.

21. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

I don't think Miki is like that anymore. She's much more stronger mentally than before. And this year's GPF placement was due to her new SP.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2011
  22. NMURA

NMURA Member

Kim has good excuses to withdraw now, such as "safety" seasons.

23. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

Of course (because I'm far from liking her skating), I'd like to see someone else winning, but IMO, Miki is the best shot at a Gold. ;)

24. riveredge

riveredge Active Member

It will also applies to any skater who withdraws, not only Yuna.

25. wnstnluv

wnstnluv New Member

Why the quotation marks? Aftershocks can be just as scary. Although the probability of them happening decrease with time after the initial earthquake, Japan is a major earthquake zone. Even if Tokyo isn't near the epicenter of the quake, damages could occur in a domino-like fashion. If people don't feel comfortable travelling there, they shouldn't.

26. a56

a56 New Member

Let's not take potshots at other skaters, especially during a time such as this.

27. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

ITA, if the airports are open and arena is safe, what better way to support Japan than show up and skate?

let`s talk and (deleted member) like this.
  28. NMURA

NMURA Member

Well, I'm saying "excuses", not real anxieties. At least, other skaters don't need to be afraid of "losing faces". Let's see when Kim's "announcement" comes. In 2008, Kim withdrew from 4CC (in Seoul) just one week before the competition.

29. a56

a56 New Member

:violin:

30. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

I voted for Kanako. There's no holding back 'Jumpin' Jack'!

I bet that Mary Ann Summers is being coached by 'The Professor' - a.k.a. Morozov! :)