Kwan Update in LA Times - "OK, I went to the Olympics"

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by barbk, Sep 8, 2010.

1. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

2. attyfan

attyfan Well-Known Member

Great article ... and thank you for posting it!

3. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

Long live the (real) Kween! :cheer2:

nice article :)

4. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

Kwan also did a Q&A yesterday in case anyone missed it: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showpost.php?p=2868557&postcount=200

5. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

Yuna could take some diplomacy lessons from Michelle. She is indeed a class act.

6. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

Wow. So she choreographed an SP for Vancouver? Interesting.

7. attyfan

IIRC, the "Carmina Burana" (sp?) routine she did in Yu-Na's show last year would have been her competitive SP if she had not gone into grad school.

8. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

What a wonderful article. Her attitude and accomplishments are to be admired.
    olympic, I believe that "Carmina Burana" was originally intended as a competition SP.

9. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

So nice to see her so happy in life and enjoying challenges on and off the ice.

10. Satellitegirl

Satellitegirl New Member

Great article. Thanks so much for posting it :)

11. mgobluegirl

mgobluegirl Well-Known Member

Cool.

How sweet would it be to be in her class at school? I'd be excited.

12. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting this. I love that shadowy photo of her, she still looks totally gorgeous IMO.

Though it blows my mind that none of her classmates had heard of her before. I know she's been out of the limelight for a bit, but wasn't she a household name in her day?

13. floskate

floskate Vacant

I love the 'I was okay, I went to the Olympics' line. Oh to be a fly on the wall if any of those who asked the question then went to look her up on youtube. :rofl:

Great article and class personified as ever. :cheer:

BlackPack and (deleted member) like this.
  14. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

You'd be surprised how many people don't even know her name. I am shocked every time I have to explain to someone about Michelle Kwan.

15. modern_muslimah

modern_muslimah Thinking of witty user title and coming up blank

I remember talking to a friend at college during the 2006 Olympics and being devastated that Michelle withdrew. He asked me who Michelle was and I was just dumbfounded. I couldn't believe that he didn't know who the Kween was.

16. Simone411

Simone411 aka IceSkate98

You and me, both! :lol:

17. bardtoob

bardtoob Well-Known Member

I just watched the first videos that came up on YouTube and you'd think she never made any sort of mistake on ice in her life and her life has been one long standing ovation with tv commentary.

18. iarispiralllyof

iarispiralllyof Active Member

true but I did watch a video clip of her graduating from University of Denver. when they called her name the audience gave her a huge cheer. I'm sure she gets recognized here and there but she's not a pop starlet or anything like that

19. IceJunkie

IceJunkie Well-Known Member

What a great article. It's amazing how she's been able to transition herself so well, and I too am surprised her classmates don't know who she is. Then again, I pretty much know of all top athletes, and I'm a skating fan, so that would make sense. Most people I've talked to about skating know who she is and think she's won like 2 Olympic gold medals, along with Kristi and Dorothy. Some know of Sasha too.

On a creepy, semi-off topic note, I was trying to search for this article on google news, and as I was typing in "Michelle Kw...." the first suggestion was "Michelle Kwan's death." Doesn't that mean a lot of people have googled that recently? Weird.

20. amaro

amaro Active Member

Michelle is a class act indeed. Hope Yuna and Michelle carry their friendship/business relationship further.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2010
  21. orientalplane

orientalplane Mad for mangelwurzels

I wouldn't. I very much doubt that anyone I know IRL knows who Michelle Kwan is. But perhaps that's because I'm a European.

22. allezfred

allezfred Hideous Admin Staff Member

This. Or if they do, more often than not they'll say "that Asian girl". :p

Now, everybody knows who Katarina Witt is which is pretty amazing for a country with no real history of figure skating in the media whatsoever.

23. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

Most of the people I know think she won in SLC.

24. Quintuple

Quintuple papillon d'amour

I think it's somewhat bizarre that Michelle Kwan has had so much experience with public speaking and higher education, and yet *still* mixes pronouns within the same sentence. If I were the writer of the article, I would have gone ahead and corrected those.

25. Artifice

Artifice Guest

Michelle Kwan is really an outsanding personality. One can't do nothing else but admire her for her accomplishments and attitudes.

I'm also a bit disapointed when I read that many people don't know who she is. She is multiple times US national champion, World champion and olympian, this is something that must be recognized. What do people know really ? Do they have a wider culture than just medias buzz ?
    I mean at least they could recognize the name even if they can't list all her athletics accomplishments, the name, at least ! But no...

26. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

A Jeopardy contestant even thought she won in Nagano.

27. attyfan

A Jeopardy contestent once had a clue about a "skater born in 1980", and answered "Katerina Witt". Somehow, I think that Jeopardy contestents are not always all that knowledgeable about figure skaters.

28. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

I find that I make those mistakes all the time when I'm just speaking or writing on this forum. When I write my real papers, I do a much better job keeping those things in check. My biggest problem in casual speech is saying "their" or "they" when I refer to an individual or mixing up past and present tense. Those are usually the first things I check when I edit.

I find most people tend to do that in a casual, conversational setting. Your brain works differently when it comes to the written word, especially in an academic environment, I find.

29. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

It doesn't surprise me. Figure skating just isn't that big of a deal in the USA. People who don't follow the sport know who Nancy Kerrigan, Tonya Harding, Kristi Yamaguchi, Brian Boitano, Oksana Baiul, and Katarina Witt are, but that's about it. They, excluding Harding, were all over the tv in primetime coverage during skating's post-Kerrigan-assault boom when all of those professional competitions and shows saturated the basic networks that everyone has access to. That coverage started to slowly dwindle after Nagano and was nonexistent after Salt Lake City. Generally, not as many people were following Olympic eligible skating it seems. 1994-1999 was pro skating's primetime heyday . . . it was great while it lasted!

30. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member