Kwan on Kim for Time 2010 Most Influential

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by shallwedansu, Apr 29, 2010.

1. shallwedansu

shallwedansu New Member

I realize there is a thread on this in the Trash Can, but I thought since Yu-Na has officially made the list and there is an accompanying piece from Michelle, it would make for a new topic. My bad if it was a bad decision. :eek:

Full List

Heroes: Kim Yu-Na
    By Michelle Kwan:
    Under the Influence (Time)
    There's also a 100 least influential list if you're interested. :shuffle:

2. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting this. Kwan has some very nice phrasing.

3. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

What a gracious quote from Michelle. And she accurately touches on the impact that Yu Na can have on the young skaters watching her

Last edited: Apr 29, 2010
  4. cem

cem New Member

Kwan=class

5. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

Agree with both of you.

However, while Michelle herself can truthfully say of Yu Na "I have never seen a skater with such a combination of artistry and athleticism" this Kwan fan would have to tell her "that's because you never saw your own unique combination of artistry and athleticism". Even if she had been able to sit in the stands and see herself at 1998 World Pros, 2000, 2001 Worlds or 1998, 2003, or 2004 Nationals to name a few, she would likely downplay how wonderful her skating really was.

6. attyfan

attyfan Well-Known Member

Very nice.

7. tarotx

tarotx Well-Known Member

Perhaps we can separate the Kwan quote and the fact that Yu Na made the influential list into two separate threads? :p

Congrats Yu Na :)
    Super cool that they got Yu Na's Idol, the sublime Michelle, to write her paragraph!

8. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

To say that Kim's performances at Vacouver "changed the face of figure skating forever" is a little bit OTT. How did those performances changed figure skating?

9. RunnersHigh

RunnersHigh Well-Known Member

ITA.
    You know? For Yu-Na, Kwan has been the most influential since at age 7 and will be for a while or forever. And her sweet congratulatory message to Yu-Na... I'm sure that's why People(including me) call her "Kwan the Kween". :swoon:

10. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

Because it was a nice thing for MK to say and a nice thing to be in print. Sometimes a statement is just nice and not a critique.

11. wRECkSk8r

wRECkSk8r Active Member

Whether the comment about the Olympic performances was over the top or not ~ after reading through the Weir vs. Lysacek thread, it was very refreshing to read one legend lifting up and honoring a legend-in-the-making. :shuffle:

Love her or hate her, Michelle has always conducted herself in a classy, mature manner and this article brings that to light.

Michelle Kwan + Yu Na Kim = class.

12. shallwedansu

shallwedansu New Member

One for the Kwan ubers and one for the Yuna ubers? :lol:

:respec: Like you said, it's very refreshing to read uplifting comments among skaters after all the Evan and Johnny :argue: this week.

13. RunnersHigh

RunnersHigh Well-Known Member

BTW, is Yu-Na the first figure skater in the list?

I found that the list was first published in 1999 but couldn't find other figure skaters in the list.
    Correct me if I'm wrong. ;)

Some info from the wikipedia.

14. iarispiralllyof

iarispiralllyof Active Member

yay for yuna.

15. key65man

key65man New Member

Not meant to be critical at all. However, if I may, Kween's remark could be more than a praise for an occasion. Champions are role-models in a sense that kids learn from them -- be it about technique, style, etc. They influence the figure skaters of next generation. If Yuna embodies certain qualities, those qualities will be emulated by the young skaters, and her accomplishment at the biggest stage does amplify the influence.

Of course, it is not really about the color of the medal but about performance as it was Michelle Yuna tried to emulate -- you still see a good deal of Michelle in Yuna's skating. Yuna's performance might have inspired a few as Michelle's did Yuna.

16. Robeye

Robeye Curiously curious

While "forever" may be a bit of a stretch, I'll put my Nostradamus cap on and predict that in ten years time (and perhaps as early as the next couple of seasons), the Kween's words will be vindicated. Just as Michelle was hugely influential for so many of the skaters that came after her, Yuna, whether she continues eligibility or not, is IMO going to be the prototype for those who eventually emerge as top-level skaters, whether they be Korean, Russian, Chinese, North American, European, or perhaps even Japanese.

The prototypical characteristics will include:
    -body type. Long-limbed and wide shouldered but slim, and great lower body strength (although it has been said that Yuna's proportions are a kind of freak of nature for women that aren't fashion models, I could definitely envision, say, a Russian skater along these lines over the next few years).

-physical explosiveness. The body type mentioned above lends itself to generating speed and height (think Usain Bolt or a great NFL wideout like Randy Moss), resulting in ice coverage and +GOE jumps.

-authoritative jumps. The focus on GOE will become widespread. Not only great height and coverage, but also complex transitions, correct edges, confident landings, and great speed and flow in and out. If all this sounds familiar, it's because Yuna is the skater in whom the ideal that CoP had been groping for first came to mature fruition.

-musicality and expressiveness. IMO, this aspect has become one of Yuna's greatest strengths under Orser/Wilson. If you've ever seen her dance, you can see that her sense of rhythm and pace on ice is no accident (I would love to see her on DWTS at some point; I think she'd blow the field away, including Nicole :p). And the way she uses her arms, head, body as instruments of expressiveness has been rightly praised by Sonia Bianchetti as superlative. This combination of musicality and expressiveness, so hard to describe but immediately recognizable as a Yuna signature, is in my view going to be just as influential as her jumps.

Of course, I believe in the truism that no skater is perfect. Toe-point fetishism notwithstanding :shuffle: (is the smilie here showing the correct technique, I wonder?), I agree with the many who say that she could improve her stretch and line. But if I had to, ah, point to one ladies skater as the probable model for the next generation of elite skaters, I'm betting it will be Yuna.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2010
  17. Robeye

Robeye Curiously curious

Apologies, key65man. You beat me to the punch. Guess your post went up while I was writing mine. :lol:

18. key65man

key65man New Member

Actually, my compliment to you for making a great point. Thoroughly enjoyed it. :)

19. Yazmeen

Yazmeen Well-Known Member

Nicely put, both of you!

20. jaws12345

jaws12345 Banned Member

Figure skating is just like any other art forms; music, painting,... in a sense that one generation's greats inspire and influence those in the next generation. Soon-to-be stars - Murakami, Gao, Nagasu, Kwak, and more - either they said they want to be like Yuna or we already see a little bit of her in their performances.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2010
  21. Simone411

Simone411 Just Flip-Flopping Around

Congratulations to Yuna and hats off to the Kween. Job well done, Michelle. :respec:

22. eyh201

eyh201 New Member

ITA! :respec: Again, congratulations to Yuna!

Plus, Kwan = class!

Is it the first time for a skater to be included in 'Time 100 Most Influential' list?

23. clara00

clara00 New Member

Wow, congratulations!! Yuna :cheer:

Kwan is so nice :saint:

24. shine

shine Well-Known Member

nvm.

25. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

Well, since the end of figures, we haven't had too many OGM ladies winners who won both the SP & the LP at the Olympics with outstanding technical performances:

1992 - Kristi - won with a fall
    1994 - Baiul -- I defy anyone to call her technical performance outstanding
    1998 - Tara - didn't win the SP
    2002 - Sarah - didn't win the SP and actually rather bombed it
    2006 - Shizuka -- did not deliver an outstanding LP technical performance
    2010 - Kim -- by my count the first woman to win both SP & LP with really outstanding tech performances.

RunnersHigh and (deleted member) like this.
  26. French Quarter

French Quarter New Member

Ask Kwan. I'm sure she knows about figure skating better than you do.

RunnersHigh and (deleted member) like this.
  27. Rock2

Rock2 Well-Known Member

While I believe the feelings and thoughts reflected in the quote are sincere, I'd bet 25 bucks that the quote was written or highly edited by someone other than MK. She's a smart and I'm sure deep-thinking woman, but there is nothing I've ever heard her say that leads me to believe she can be that eloquent without a lot of help.

28. tkhm

tkhm New Member

As a MK fan I take offense.

29. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Why must some here find reason to belittle/doubt whatever Ms. Kwan does?
    I'm sure that someone who is working on a Master's degree can write a cogent statement in honor of another person!

30. FSUSF

FSUSF New Member

Feel sour? eh?