Kurt returns to "Singing in the Rain"

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by victorskid, Sep 27, 2012.

1. victorskid

victorskid Skating supporter

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  2. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Looking forward to Kurt's program,
    Whatever he does will be worth watching.

3. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

His blog entry just got me more excited for MWO! It'll be great to see how skaters of 6.0 generation feel and adapt to new system. Kurt gives a lot of insight for it!

4. tut88

tut88 Member

WAU !!!
    I love that program !!!
    I'm so happy that Kurt will skate it again !!
    What a big achivement this competition !!
    Can't wait to see it !

5. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Was this filmed?

6. Impromptu

Impromptu Well-Known Member

I think so? I remember he landed one at the Goodwill Games in 2000 (which were televised) and I'm pretty sure he was around 40.

7. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

Kurt's performance to Singing in the Rain is a classic. I really look forward to see the new version. Will they make it rain in the stadium for him?

8. stejoho40

stejoho40 Active Member

Aww...that was so much fun to watch again.

9. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

I hate hate hate Singer in the Rain, no matter who skates it. Ditto 'Smile and the world smiles with you', whatever the name is. . .

The good news to me is that Honda and Candaloro will compete again. That's very cool.

ETA I met Honda at the 2010 Olympics in the smoking section outside the arena. He was covering the event a Japanese broadcaster. He was smoking quite seriously (1 or 2 in a break) and looked a bit heavier than he was as a competitor. So it will interesting to see how he reinvents himself for this comp. Ditto Candaloro and Yagudin. I'm rooting for Candaloro and Honda - hope we get access to the competition.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2012
  10. LLOS

LLOS New Member

This sounds really great, I love this performance!

Whats the name of this event and when will it take place?

11. fsfan22

fsfan22 Member

Without hearing this news until now, I was watching Kurt's Singing in the Rain performance online yesterday and was thinking that it would be great to bring it back for the Medal Winners Open. Great minds think alike!

12. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

*fangirl squealing* BEST. PERFORMANCE. EVER!!

Kurt's performance was amazing! The set, the rain, the skating...PERFECTION! I don't know that the program will be as awesome without the set and rain and everything, but I'm so excited to hear he'll be revisiting that one!

13. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

The US Adult Figure Skating Committee posted about this on their Facebook page, with a headline to the effect of "Kurt returns to competition" - and when I saw it, my first thought was that Kurt was going to compete in adult competitions :eek:

I must admit that when I read the story and saw he was competing in a different kind of event, I was relieved for my fellow adult skaters who would have had to compete against him.....

14. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Well the great Midori Ito didn't win her category at Adult Nationals so you never know ;)

15. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

She didn't win her category at the ISU *international* adult competition (I don't know if Japan has adult nationals).

16. leapfrogonice

leapfrogonice Active Member

The allowance of props (hat, umbrella) will make this entertaining. Wonder if he can have the (iconic) lamp post out there as well

17. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

18. The Accordion

The Accordion Well-Known Member

Am I crazy - or did Ilia Kulik do a pro piece with a hat? And in my head - Dean was involved but I may be just making that up.
    (sorry I posted this in the wrong thread)

Last edited: Sep 30, 2012
  19. lulu

lulu New Member

Can I join you in the fangirl squealing? :D Such an iconic program, even without the rain and the full stage set-which helped made the program so magical, I'm looking forward to seeing Kurt's 2012 version.

I like all of the male skaters performing at the Medal Winners, but I am especially looking forward to Kurt Browning and Ilia Kulik. :swoon:

20. alilou

alilou Crazy Stalker Lady

Oh I so remember this piece. And loved it. It was soon after he turned pro, was choreographed by Dean. It was "My Baseball Cap" and he threw that hat around all over the place. Unfortunately he never performed it often enough to really perfect it, but it was still pretty good. The performance I saw (on TV) was probably at World Pro's soon after he retired. Maybe I can find it on youtube.

ETA : Here it is. And he did do a lot of performances since he performed it with SOI (didn't know that). Anyway this version has him working with Chris Dean on choreo a bit at the beginning
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48V4w1NzeZE

Last edited: Sep 30, 2012
    PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  21. lulu

lulu New Member

Is this it? http://youtu.be/7tileKDK4eg

22. The Accordion

The Accordion Well-Known Member

Haha - you are all awesome! I meant to post this in the Patrick Chan thread. And then when I went back to put in an article and the Youtube link -I couldn't find my original post. Thanks for knowing and taking the time anyhow! And if I may commit thread drift for a bit longer - what do you think of Dean giving Patrick another hat piece as an exhibition?

23. midori

midori Well-Known Member

Probably not, because self-standing props are not allowed. Or so I have heard.

24. Teenes

Teenes Active Member

From Kurt's twitter last night, he's also returning to the Tragically Hip. They wrote the song "Antares" for him back in 1998 and it appears they've done it again - writing and recording a brand new song for him to use. I'm wondering if we'll see that number at Carnival on Ice. Here's hoping!

25. lulu

lulu New Member

Thanks for the info. :)

26. Terri C

Terri C New Member

Alright!!! Looking forward to it if it makes American TV!!

27. kimkom

kimkom Two Pot Screamer

It was filmed because I watched it on TV.

Here it is. :).