Kurt Browning's House on fire again!!!!

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Mevrouw, Aug 18, 2010.

1. withrespect

withrespect New Member

:rolleyes: LOL...lordy . Relax and take a chill pill. It was an accident and everyone said so...it's just the 'man' who tried to dry his porsche seats and LEFT THE LEAF BLOWER GOING ...has now been identified as Kurt.

No one is blaming Kurt. It was a mistake/accident. What was said at first was a "man". So it made it look like someone ELSE did it and Kurt was a victim. He is a victim but not by someone elses hand see?

2. Rock2

Rock2 Well-Known Member

Yeah, seriously.

We can try to figure out a way to show more compassion if some others can show a little less hyper-sensitivity.

3. Dragonlady

Dragonlady Well-Known Member

Geez, if I had only known, I could have given you the address, Rock2.

4. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

Take a hard look in the Mirror then.

There is a place and a time for everything. The man lost his home and who knows how many things and people are making cracks about it!?!

It is not the place, nor the time, to be making cracks about stalking him or rubbing it in because of a stupid mistake that Kurt's going to be kicking himself over from now to the end of time.

Two words...Grow up!!

5. Willowway

Willowway Well-Known Member

Please...we all feel terrible that this happened to him and his family. No one is seriously talking about stalking him - the comment when read in context is just a comment about proximity and yes, a little light-hearted. But thank goodness, there's no one to go into mourning for - not as much as a pet fish so I don't know that levity is completely out of place - no one was joking about his loss just how close he always was unbeknownst to them.

I know you're hurting for him but this is hardly a group who's giving him a really hard time about what happened.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2010
  6. Dragonlady

Dragonlady Well-Known Member

I guess you'll be writing a letter of protest to the Toronto Star then:

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/art...y-your-car-seats-the-non-kurt-browning-method

7. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

I stand by what I said. Take it however you all want to, as I've already seen.

CTV Toronto just did a tease for the 6pm News w/the information that the nearest fire station was closed for renovations. More to come obviously, but what a difference that could have made if it had been open.

edited to add...Did Kurt do something stunningly stupid and start this? Yes. Is this his fault? Looking like it. Should we talk about the facts and only the facts? Of course and I never, ever said we shouldn't.

However, some of the joking posts that have popped up over the last few hours on here are disgusting. Said it once and I'll say it again...Some of you need to GROW UP!!

8. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

9. Habs

Habs Well-Known Member

This thread = :watch:

That being said, I feel terrible for Kurt and his family. It would be awful to lose everything.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2010
  10. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

I am so very sorry for them. My folks had a home burn, and I don't envy anyone who has to deal with the aftermath. (Including the "helpful" insurance companies who say that just painting charred timbers with Kilz is all that needs to be done.) The damage done by the water is often more than the damage by the fire portion.

Stuff can be replaced. Hopefully family and friends will be able to supply copies of pictures that are important to the family.

I'm really glad that nobody was injured. (And in terms of unfortunate ways to start a fire: the insurance adjuster who was renting my folks' house cleaned something in the garage with gasoline, and then lit up the engine on the boat that was stored in the garage. An insurance adjuster. A lucky one, because he was able to run out.)

11. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

Well, since all the facts appear to be known you don't have to read the thread any more and won't get offended.

12. immoimeme

immoimeme my posts r modded

You know, I thought about this all last night, asking myself HOW on EARTH could ANYONE DO such a STUPID thang?!?!?!?! You own a PORSCHE! You take it TO THE DEALER for THEM to deal with, for Pete's sake, heLLLLLoooo!

Then I remembered a few "seemed like a good idea at the time" things I had done in my life and :slinkaway:slinkaway:slinkaway:slinkaway

Oh yeah :wideeyes:

Some brain farts are just more spectacular than others, eys indeedy-do. And this was one of them.

13. Emmy

Emmy New Member

If the house is beyond repair, I kind of think they shouldn't rebuild but buy somewhere else simply because now everyone knows where he lives/lived. I was kind of surprised they published his exact address, and also surprised his house is just on a relatively public street (and not behind gates or something). Yes I know it's a high-price area, but it still looks like a regular kind of street to me, where you could walk right up to his front door if you wanted. Maybe they just wanted a "normal" life, but now with everyone knowing his address I think he'd be better off relocating.

14. TalentedButHumble

TalentedButHumble Well-Known Member

Have I missed something? Have some posts been deleted? I see no one joking.

ETA: Re: DL's link - I forget that more expensive cars than mine have heat seaters. But is it even safe to leave those on for a long time.

I guess he was thinking of the leaf blower in the same way some of us have used little hair dryers to dry off an item of clothing, for instance.

Habs and (deleted member) like this.
  15. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

Me neither.

16. allezfred

allezfred Prick Admin Staff Member

Every time I see this thread, this song pops into my head. AragornElessar, don't click on the link. :saint:

17. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

AragornElessar, I'm with you!

18. Bailey_

Bailey_ Guest

That's what I was thinking - glad everyone is alright but so much lost skating and dancing memorabilia, family photos, art, and all those things that mean so much that they can never get back...

19. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

On top of dealing with the extensive personal/financial losses and the emotional upheaval, I bet Kurt is finding it hard not to beat himself up.

And Sonia might be more than a little pissed at him. If I had made a mistake that had caused the house to burn down, Mr. Japanfan would be furious with me. And vise versa.

20. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

I don't know about Canadian insurance, but in the US, he might have a very expensive pile of ashes because they wouldn't pay the claim. So, I'd say she'd be pissed.

21. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

Why wouldn't they pay the claim? No source has suggested that he was trying to burn the house down, and it is pretty ludicrous that anyone would think he would particularly with a child inside. Foolishness isn't one of the exclusions on any policy I've ever read. (And the insurance policy on my folks' house absolutely did pay off after the tenant did something wildly stupid involving gasoline.)

22. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

I can't see why his insurance wouldn't cover this claim. The fire was accidental.

23. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

It depends on the policy. This could be considered neglect. Some policies won't cover that. Coverage is widely variable among insurance. Just sayin. I'm not implying this was deliberate but an insurance investigator for a potentiallly large claim could go that way. Since I have no idea what his insurance coverge is, I certainly don't know how an investigator will rule. But, it does happen. And they will investigate.

24. Prancer

Prancer The "specialness" that is Staff Member

My inner child says that you need to chill out a little.

25. Willowway

Willowway Well-Known Member

I remain confused about what was said here that was so disgusting. Where? I don't get it. If the poster means that people have noted Kurt's error, well yes that can be noted. We all do bone-headed things now and again - this one is certainly as big and as public as they get so people are bound to comment. But all the people and animals involved are fine. And while it is sad to lose so many things, they are things. The Browning family will be fine; they will rebuild.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2010
  26. Carolla5501

Carolla5501 Well-Known Member

Well I had a friend who burned down his house doing something that makes this look like a "smart move" and the insurnce paid. Luckily most US insurance does have a "bone head move of the week clause".......

27. WildRose

WildRose Well-Known Member

A little bit of good news:
    http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/article/850267--kurt-browning-s-hard-won-gold-medals-safe

28. Judy

Judy New Member

The claim will be paid because it was accidental.

I think most of us have done stupid things in our lives. Obviously a lot of them don't result in a fire destroying our home but it was a obviously an accident. The insurance will be paid but his premiums will go up. However, he obviously can afford a house in that neighbourhood so he's a very rich man that can afford it.

29. WildRose

WildRose Well-Known Member

Skate Canada press release:
    http://www.skatebuzz.com/ViewNewsArticle.aspx?id=113344dd-017f-454a-8443-98bd4db741e0

30. Mevrouw

Mevrouw living every minute

Kurt has been on a radio commercial for a couple of years, talking about what good neighbours he has and mentions "when we had a fire at our house" people came out on the street with hot chocolate and cookies and jsut to give sympathy. So taht's what I know about the first fire.