Kurt Browning's House on fire again!!!!

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Mevrouw, Aug 18, 2010.

1. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

Well, since all the facts appear to be known you don't have to read the thread any more and won't get offended.
  2. immoimeme

immoimeme having a nice day

You know, I thought about this all last night, asking myself HOW on EARTH could ANYONE DO such a STUPID thang?!?!?!?! You own a PORSCHE! You take it TO THE DEALER for THEM to deal with, for Pete's sake, heLLLLLoooo!

Then I remembered a few "seemed like a good idea at the time" things I had done in my life and :slinkaway:slinkaway:slinkaway:slinkaway

Oh yeah :wideeyes:

Some brain farts are just more spectacular than others, eys indeedy-do. And this was one of them.
  3. Emmy

Emmy New Member

If the house is beyond repair, I kind of think they shouldn't rebuild but buy somewhere else simply because now everyone knows where he lives/lived. I was kind of surprised they published his exact address, and also surprised his house is just on a relatively public street (and not behind gates or something). Yes I know it's a high-price area, but it still looks like a regular kind of street to me, where you could walk right up to his front door if you wanted. Maybe they just wanted a "normal" life, but now with everyone knowing his address I think he'd be better off relocating.
  4. TalentedButHumble

TalentedButHumble New Member

Have I missed something? Have some posts been deleted? I see no one joking.

ETA: Re: DL's link - I forget that more expensive cars than mine have heat seaters. But is it even safe to leave those on for a long time.

I guess he was thinking of the leaf blower in the same way some of us have used little hair dryers to dry off an item of clothing, for instance.
    Habs and (deleted member) like this.
  5. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

Me neither.
  6. allezfred

allezfred Prick Admin Staff Member

Every time I see this thread, this song pops into my head. AragornElessar, don't click on the link. :saint:
  7. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

AragornElessar, I'm with you!
  8. Bailey_

Bailey_ Guest

That's what I was thinking - glad everyone is alright but so much lost skating and dancing memorabilia, family photos, art, and all those things that mean so much that they can never get back...
  9. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

On top of dealing with the extensive personal/financial losses and the emotional upheaval, I bet Kurt is finding it hard not to beat himself up.

And Sonia might be more than a little pissed at him. If I had made a mistake that had caused the house to burn down, Mr. Japanfan would be furious with me. And vise versa.
  10. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

I don't know about Canadian insurance, but in the US, he might have a very expensive pile of ashes because they wouldn't pay the claim. So, I'd say she'd be pissed.
  11. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

Why wouldn't they pay the claim? No source has suggested that he was trying to burn the house down, and it is pretty ludicrous that anyone would think he would particularly with a child inside. Foolishness isn't one of the exclusions on any policy I've ever read. (And the insurance policy on my folks' house absolutely did pay off after the tenant did something wildly stupid involving gasoline.)
  12. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

I can't see why his insurance wouldn't cover this claim. The fire was accidental.
  13. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

It depends on the policy. This could be considered neglect. Some policies won't cover that. Coverage is widely variable among insurance. Just sayin. I'm not implying this was deliberate but an insurance investigator for a potentiallly large claim could go that way. Since I have no idea what his insurance coverge is, I certainly don't know how an investigator will rule. But, it does happen. And they will investigate.
  14. Prancer

Prancer Ray Chill Staff Member

My inner child says that you need to chill out a little.
  15. Willowway

Willowway Well-Known Member

I remain confused about what was said here that was so disgusting. Where? I don't get it. If the poster means that people have noted Kurt's error, well yes that can be noted. We all do bone-headed things now and again - this one is certainly as big and as public as they get so people are bound to comment. But all the people and animals involved are fine. And while it is sad to lose so many things, they are things. The Browning family will be fine; they will rebuild.
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2010
  16. Carolla5501

Carolla5501 Well-Known Member

Well I had a friend who burned down his house doing something that makes this look like a "smart move" and the insurnce paid. Luckily most US insurance does have a "bone head move of the week clause".......
  17. WildRose

WildRose Well-Known Member

A little bit of good news:
    http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/article/850267--kurt-browning-s-hard-won-gold-medals-safe
  18. Judy

Judy New Member

The claim will be paid because it was accidental.

I think most of us have done stupid things in our lives. Obviously a lot of them don't result in a fire destroying our home but it was a obviously an accident. The insurance will be paid but his premiums will go up. However, he obviously can afford a house in that neighbourhood so he's a very rich man that can afford it.
  19. WildRose

Skate Canada press release:
    http://www.skatebuzz.com/ViewNewsArticle.aspx?id=113344dd-017f-454a-8443-98bd4db741e0

20. Mevrouw

Mevrouw living every minute

Kurt has been on a radio commercial for a couple of years, talking about what good neighbours he has and mentions "when we had a fire at our house" people came out on the street with hot chocolate and cookies and jsut to give sympathy. So taht's what I know about the first fire.
  21. Dragonlady

Dragonlady New Member

This is Canada. There are few gated communities. Even in our wealthiest neighbourhoods. Everybody knew Prince lived in the purple house on the Bridle Path and he was left alone. That area isn't gated either.

They didn't publish his exact address, just the nearest intersection, although those motivated to do so wouldn't have a problem finding it at this point.
  22. Teenes

Teenes New Member

Just a note, I suspect AragornElessar is responding more to the posts that have popped up all over the internet, not necessarily here, mocking Kurt and making jokes at his expense. If you search "Kurt Browning" on Twitter, the lack of sensitivity or sympathy is pretty blatant, for instance. (Though if you search @KurtBrowning, you'll see a lot of sympathy messages, which help me from looking completely down on humanity at this moment) But yes, I have appreciated that the posters on FSU seem sensitive to what a terrible situation this is, regardless of how the fire started.

While I'm relieved to hear that Kurt's gold medals are safe, which hopefully implies that other important artifacts of his long skating career have also survived, I can't imagine the extent of the other losses he and Sonia must have sustained. Kurt's someone who places a lot of importance in family and family legacy - both in stuff he can pass down to his sons and things he has to remember his parents by. For instance, everything he wore in his tribute program to his dad after he passed way were items of clothes he'd found of his dad's. My first thought when I heard this news was to hope that all the stuff he'd saved from his dad and mom was ok, but I somehow doubt it. That's the type of loss that can never be replaced.

As for the leaf blower - that's certainly an unorthodox way to dry your car. But who hasn't used a hair dryer to try to dry clothing when no better means are at hand? A leaf blower blows a jet of air, much like a hair dryer. And until this happened, would anybody really expect a leaf blower to start a fire? It sounds stupid after the fact, but I know I personally wouldn't have thought this would be a possible consequence.
  23. Jaana

Jaana Well-Known Member

I´m very glad that nobody was hurt and that the fire did not spread to other houses! Yes, also I think that many of us have used various things in an unorthodox way, but surely most people at least understand to be careful while doing that and afterwards....

This whole sad incident is something I find hard to believe that it could have really happened. It is more like something that could have been shown in a certain sort of comedy.
  24. aaron

aaron New Member

I'm glad they're safe but my heart is breaking for Kurt :( He must be feeling terrible. 
  25. Judy

Judy New Member

Why would he live behind gates? We have NHL hockey players (including Mike Fisher and Carrie Underwood) living in Ottawa and they don't live behind gates. It's not Hollywood.
  26. Rafter

Rafter Well-Known Member

Actually, the Toronto Star did publish the exact address.
  27. Willowway

Thank you Tina for the explanation. I trust you've suggested to AE that yelling at the people who actually aren't doing this might be the wrong approach. I think most of us understand her passion but misdirected anger is well...misdirected anger. Case closed.
  28. withrespect

withrespect New Member

:( it's a tragedy that could have been far worse. Awful as it is...it's a huge relief no one was injured including the fire dept putting it out.
  29. FigureSpins

FigureSpins New Member

Thank goodness no one was hurt at the Browning house.

This made me think of Bobby Ojeda (Mets Pitcher) doing his own yardwork and accidentally cutting off part of his pitching-hand middle finger while using electric hedge clippers.

I hope they can salvage photos and other things. I have a cousin who lost her house in a fire, including family treasures. One of her friends took all of my cousin's soot-smeared Hummels and cleaned them by hand. Her SIL organized a "Photo Album Filler" party with guests bringing photos of my cousin and her family/friends. She told me that she recently had all her photos scanned onto CDs that she put into her safety deposit box.
  30. Willowway

I know that Teenes and some of the good folks at the Kurtfiles are already organizing a major effort to reconstruct videos, photos and anything career-related they can provide to him. They are really thinking constructively - if anyone has Kurt-related photos or goodies to contribute please contact Tina at the Kurtfiles - she's a great person and if you get things to her, you know it will get to Kurt. Please see her announcement of the effort at http://kurtfiles.com/
    scroll down to ALERTS:
  31. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

Me, for one.
  32. mrr50

mrr50 Well-Known Member

This doesn't come close to the people in my town who set their house on fire using a blow torch to melt the ice in their front porch gutter.
  33. WildRose

A message from Kurt a little while ago on Twitter:

http://twitter.com/KurtBrowning
  34. halffull

halffull Well-Known Member

Wow, hats off to 9 year old Josh. Wise beyond his years is a huge understatement.
  35. sadya

sadya Active Member

Most important are people, and everyone survived.
  36. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

What horrible news! :eek: :( Thank goodness Kurt and his family are safe.
  37. Judy

Judy New Member

Okay I tried and just don't recognize the house lol from google maps anyways.
  38. Jot the Dot Dot

Jot the Dot Dot Well-Known Member

Met the man some years ago. If there ever was a guy that represented Mr. Canada, it was Kurt. Add my voice to those who are sad for his family but glad no one was hurt.
  39. Teenes

Teenes New Member

Why not? Wet jeans suck when you've been caught out in the rain. Was *very* happy there was a hairdryer at work one day...

And, thanks Willowway. We're still in early stages yet, but if there's some small way we can do our part to ease their losses, I'd like to do it.
  40. AragornElessar

AragornElessar New Member

First off, while I appreciate what Teenes was doing, I stand by what I said and I still mean it. I was also talking about the postings here at FSU and not just in general, as I hadn't seen any other reactions online other than here at that point.

Second, I weep for this new society where being snarky regardless of what is going on is considered to be funny and okay. It is not!! There are times when it's not okay and there were posts like that whether you want to acknowledge it or not.

Sad really. Oh well, I'd rather be looked at as an over sensitive be witch w/heart and compassion than behave the way some of you have behaved.

And I'm done!!