Kurt Browning on cool moves

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by gkelly, Dec 12, 2012.

1. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

2. lala

lala Well-Known Member

cool...thanks!

3. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

Thanks gkelly. As Kurt says, it takes a skater to recognise and appreciate the difficulties of one's peers. Looking forward to his next comment.

4. yukisnowflake

yukisnowflake Active Member

Thanks so much for this post incl. the link to the blog.

I know I always applaud loudly & enthusiastically for spins that skaters perform.

5. NadineWhite

NadineWhite Well-Known Member

Loved reading the article, brought back memories of some of my favorites. :)

I recall the unusual entrance Oksana Baiul had into her 2axel; instead of the typical outside edge, she would do it off an inside edge; it flowed, came out of nowhere, part of the choreography, truly dancing on ice.

And I love it when a skater does a jump at literally the very end of the program, it not only shows dominance of said jump, but it looks fantastic in the process! Case in point, Keegan Messing, his 3toe ended his FS and got not only him going but the audience as well. :cool: ***NOTE: I always wished Evgeni would end his program that way with the 3axel***

And as far as doing two jumps in a row, Yoshie Onda would do two double axels in a row near the end of her FS.

Speaking of the double axel, I recall when Sarah Hughes would do a spiral into a 2axel then end with a gorgeously turned out layback. As well the things she would do with her $$$ jump, the 3loop, were fabulous, like going from a lovely spiral directly into 3turns into a 2A, ahhh memories. :)

Oops, one more, I absolutely LOVED it when Mao used to do 3A/2T (tano style). Lol in fact anything in "tano style" has me falling in love. Example, Aaron/Settlage used to do 2axels tano style, as well as their follow up 2t or 2s. And the way Jason Brown does his tano style 3Lutz is FAB! Btw, Gretchen Donlan's favorite jump is the double tano lutz, she used to do it exquisitely when she was a single novice/junior skater, which is why I don't understand why she & Andrew don't put it in their program? It's bound to garner them a bit more points and more importantly would look lovely in the process.

Also, I enjoy it when Ashley Wagner does the rippon style 2t as the ending jump of her 3jump combo. And dare I say it, but imho Gracie Gold's rippon style 3Lutz is better than Adam Rippon's. *blush*

6. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

You mean this jump? That's an inside axel, which is a completely different jump with a different takeoff than the standard Axel Paulsen jump, with which it has no more in common than a loop jump does with a salchow. I believe it is sometimes called Boeckl -- especially in roller skating?

Yes, it is cool, and rare.

I don't know what other competitions Oksana did it at besides that 1993 Worlds.
    Her double axels, including the one immediately following the inside axel here, were always from a normal back outside approach as far as I am aware.

But speaking of inside axels and 1993 Worlds, here's an even rarer double inside axel.

I'm only aware of one other skater who ever attempted that -- more than 40 years ago.

7. NadineWhite

NadineWhite Well-Known Member

8. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

Whoa, she's gliding backwards then suddenly takes off to axel jump! How did I miss that while watching her countlessly?

9. skatak

skatak Well-Known Member

wow thanks, so rare do discover a jump I had not seen before !

10. frisette70

frisette70 Active Member

gkelly and (deleted member) like this.
  11. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

It's the EVILLE KLOWN! :respec:

And that clip provides another wonderful and very difficult move that Klimkin did - the bi-directional spin.

12. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

I think Kurt has started a cool blog (thanks gkelly). It is interesting to note the various brilliant skills every figure skater brings to compeitition. And thanks to those who took the trouble to post the vids .. reading and watching makes it easier to appreciate the skills.