Kurt Browning is a National Treasure

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by JasperBoy, Mar 23, 2013.

1. JasperBoy

JasperBoy Well-Known Member

Discuss.

This came to me when I was watching Javi's exhibition skate. It had Kurt written all over it. When you think of all he has done for skating, and particularly for Canadian Men's skating, he is truly a treasure. Of course he would just get a goofy look on his face and mime "Who, Me?"

Why do you think Kurt is a National Treasure?
  2. kwanette

kwanette Fetalized since 1998

I'm not Canadian. I think that Kurt is an international treasure.:)
  3. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

Also not Canadian, but I vote for National Treasure anyway.
    The ability to reach audiences all the way up to the rafters is a true gift.
    Classy and entertaining skater and human being. :)
    flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  4. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

A national treasure just because he can be so goofy. I have always enjoyed his skating. He's "first rate" as Uncle Dick would say :D
  5. snoopysnake

snoopysnake Well-Known Member

A strong amateur, but a brilliant pro. Hopefully he'll keep sharing his gift via choreography.
  6. centerpt1

centerpt1 Active Member

Absolutely agree
  7. Really

Really No longer just a "well-known member" Yay!

He's the only skater I've ever come close to 'ubering' -- I've always enjoyed his skating. His abilities on the blade are a gift to skating, and it looks like he will continue to give through his choreography once he's done skating..yay!
  8. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

He has done a LOT of work to support the sport, beyond what he does as a skater and a choreographer.
    spikydurian and (deleted member) like this.
  9. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

^^^ THIS is what I call a national treasure! Giving back in in kind and time besides being a great skater.:respec:
  10. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Based on the features I've seen with his family, Kurt Browning is also an excellent husband and father, and a very fine human being with an easygoing and fun sense of humor.

When I met Kurt in 1998 after a show I told him how much I loved his Casablanca program and that he was the best and he should have been the one to win '94 Olympics. Kurt kindly thanked me, and then he chuckled self-deprecatingly: "Yeah, that might have been true had I actually skated well."
  11. JasperBoy

After I started this thread I realized that I should have said "Canadian National Treasure". But after reading the posts I have to agree, he is an international treasure.
    I believe he helped Denis Ten with his "Singing in the Rain" exhibition. He has also made suggestions about how Yuzuru Hanyu could improve his performances. The man is a true mentor who just gives and gives to any skater who wants help.
  12. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

At '12 GPF in Quebec City, I was waiting in line for the washroom (I wouldn't have to wait in line if I used the outdoor washroom, but I digress), which was near a room reserved for the skaters and other VIPs. Kurt was entering that room and the security guard asked for his ID. While, fishing out his ID, he was doing a little tap dance for the security guard. Even taking out his ID, he oozes charm and joy.
  13. aftershocks

Just want to add that Kurt has said how much he always admired Christopher Bowman's talent, and how he thought he'd never be able to beat Christopher. I think that in itself speaks to Kurt's sportsmanship, his love of figure skating, as well as his ability to apply himself and to grow as a skater and a person. Aside from being unable to overcome the Olympics pressure, as a 4-time Canadian champion and a 4-time World champion, Kurt was remarkable for being able to put out his best when it mattered. As a professional, he blossomed and he gave audiences so many memorable moments. There was another thread here awhile back where I posted a number of unforgettable Kurt performances. Singin' in the Rain and Brick House are two of my favorites. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RtL68KBBhY Brick House

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXtd7xq7URM Kurt's original Singin' in the Rain

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kF0BvRzUhOU 1989 worlds exhibition

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkBimbXWBSQ&playnext=1&list=PL876D8660FBD6BD6F&feature=results_main a Kurt playlist
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2013
  14. Habs

Habs Well-Known Member

I've been a Kurt uber since I was 10 years old. Adore him. There's no other skater like him and I don't think there ever will be one like him again.

In my previous career as a journalist, I had the opportunity to interview him twice - once over the phone and once in person. He's a complete delight - warm, funny, friendly and a true gentleman.
  15. ChelleC

ChelleC Well-Known Member

Kurt Browning is THE reason I am a skating fan today. I fell in love with his Casablanca program.
  16. reut

reut Active Member

No, he did not. :)

Kurt is an amazing person to be around, hilarious interviewee. I admire his longevity in this sport. And if I ever wish something to skaters I really like it is to be like Kurt, in many senses, including this long and fruitful life in skating after retirement from sport.
  17. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

I have never heard a bad word said about him on this forum. From here and other times it has been brought up he apparently is one of the nicest people you could meet in the sport.

I did get to meet him when I went to Worlds at 98 (he signed my Worlds program). Lovely guy and so accommodating to the fans. He said he missed my accent because Cameron Medhurst was one of this best mates. I want our association to bring him out to Australia to do sessions with the skaters. He would be amazing.
  18. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

Let me know. I will fly down to Melbourne and be a volunteer to your association for the day. I can serve tea and coffee to the session or be the door woman.:cheer:
  19. kwanette

kwanette Fetalized since 1998

In London, my friends and I were having lunch when Kurt joined a group of people at a nearby table.A short time later, he made his way through the restaurant and stopped at every table to chat and take pictures. He was so gracious and genuine. In conversation, I mentioned Viktor and Chris Bowman..His response re Chris Bowman.."The most natural talent that I have ever seen."
  20. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

I have nothing new to add, but, IMHO, Kurt is a national/international treasure for all the reasons everyone has mentioned so far. :cheer: :encore:
  21. jamcan

jamcan New Member

loved Kurt's skating....supreme talent. Dislike immensely Kurt's commentating! It's NOT all about YOU Kurt. You had your time. Everything he says seems to reference himself.:rolleyes:
    alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  22. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

23. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Thanks, kwanette!
    Adding to the praise and love for Kurt, here.
  24. Manaud

Manaud New Member

I can also attest to positive restaurant meetings with him. I have seen him several times in restaurants and he always smiles and says hello. Chatted with him at breakfast during the SOI Canada tour stop a few years ago. I am always amazed at how tiny and smiley he is in person.
  25. Teenes

Teenes New Member

I've had many occasions to interact with Kurt and to watch him interact with other fans, and he's a total sweetheart. Considerate, friendly, and with a great sense of self-deprecating humor. On the ice, his versatility and the fact that he continues to push himself in new creative directions, never resting on his laurels, and try new things I think sets a great example for other skaters, and provides fans with tons of wonderful skating to watch.

Also, I should point out that today is the 25th anniversary of him landing the first quad in competition, at Worlds in Budapest on March 25, 1988. Hard to believe it's been 25 years!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxpCu8wRv14
  26. JasperBoy

I travelled with DASH tours to London. Kurt was the featured speaker at our opening meet n greet. We watched a video of Kurt's quad at Budapest, to celebrate the 25th anniversary. He admitted that he wasn't sure if it would be ratified because of the turnout afterwards. He spoke about the rivalry with Viktor Petrenko, who still has a lot of hair!

Kurt also brought some medals that he had won. 4 golds at least. I can't remember the other skater's name, but apparently some of Kurt's medals were originally given to that skater, and they had switched just for laughs.

Kurt stayed for a long time signing jackets, autographs, having photos taken. The crowd to see him and the medals was enormous. As always, Kurt was funny, kind, and patient. Like the rest of us, he couldn't believe it had been 25 years.
  27. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Agree 100% - great athlete, great entertainer, great ambassador for the sport.

Also thought this would be a good place to throw in a word for his wife, Sonia Rodriguez. If you ever get the chance to see one of her exquisite performances with the National Ballet, go! What Kurt can do on blades, she can do en pointe.
  28. reut

reut Active Member

Really nice message from Kurt on his official FB:

http://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=10152696854515483&id=217099960482
  29. paskatefan

What a beautiful message from a great guy! :cheer:
  30. pat c

pat c Well-Known Member

KB is a class act.
    Back in the day, I thought the 92 olys would be so interesting and I was looking forward to the battle of the B's. Browning vs Bowman. Sadly it never happened, but if it had, we'd still be talking about it. :)
    PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  31. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Kurt is a treasure for all skating fans. He was always a classy competitor who helped advance the sport, but he continued to grow as an artist as a pro. He never gave less than 100% or took an audience for granted. He's tried to help younger skaters, is incredibly gracious to fans and truly loves the sport. "Legend" is a term that is often thrown around too easily, but he is a legend of the sport.
  32. aftershocks

Ah yes, that would have been something indeed. In any case, I'm happy for Paul Wylie being able to step up to the plate at the 1992 Olympics and achieve a personal victory that changed his life and in turn gave so much to the fans and to the sport.

Also, I think the fact that Kurt was so inspired by Christopher Bowman, is a testament to the amazing talent of both Christopher and Kurt. RIP, Christopher!

I too echo that Kurt's FB message to fans is very gracious and sweet. He's the kind of person and skater who exemplifies Dick Button's iconic observation, because in fact, Kurt is a skating legend who has "made the sport better by his presence in it."

Furthermore, IMO, if receiving an Olympic gold medal is equivalent to going above and beyond in contributing magical memories, excellence and devoted service, as well as good humor and genuine kindness to the sport and to the fans, then Kurt Browning definitely has an Olympic gold medal and he wears it proudly each and every day. Thank you, Kurt! :)

There are others who missed out on being awarded the actual OGM, but who like Kurt actually hold one in the spirit of their invaluable contributions, wonderful performances and outstanding humanity ... among them: Todd Eldredge, so I commend and thank Todd too. Hope no one minds in this Kurt thread my also giving a shout out to Todd!
  33. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

Exactly my sentiments. And when he is commentating with Tracy, he over-talks her.
  34. paskatefan

Amen to everything you've said about Kurt, and go right ahead with a shout out to Todd, too! :cheer:
  35. bbkenn

bbkenn Well-Known Member

I have loved Kurt's skating for a long time. He is a rock star in my book with footwork to die for.
  36. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

To those who are snarking on his commentary, I get he's got his haters when it comes to that, but considering the man's had zero training in on air commentary I actually think he's not doing *that* badly. Everyone thinks it's ohhhh sooo easy until they try it and surprise!! What's really easy to do at home? Not so much when you've got a camera on you and you're live to thousands out there judging your every word.

Anyway...I could share my own experiences w/Kurt, the first ones actually helping me during a *very* rough period of my life and giving me a huge boost of confidence in myself, but there's not enough room and you'd all be here for awhile too. Instead, I'm going to repost a part of my post about this past December's Celebration On Ice stop in Sudbury....

As I said...No surprise to me at all. :)
  37. Scrufflet

Scrufflet Active Member

I think it is important to recognize that Kurt has really learned and improved when it comes to his commentary. I think he is more forthcoming than most in terms of saying what he thinks and I always welcome his responses. Even Mother Teresa would manage to attract a few snarkers on this site!
    I'm with all the rest of you here. I adore Kurt! He is my most favourite skater of all time, anywhere, anyhow, no exceptions for so so many reasons, many of which have been articulated here. Add to all of that, he really does have the ability to make me feel 14 yrs. old again! :D
  38. The Accordion

The Accordion Well-Known Member

I like Kurt's commentary. Sometimes he says things that I don't agree with - such as men shouldn't do a Bielman spin - but I love that he has an educated opinion but isn't afraid to defer to Tracy Wilson when he knows she is more knowledgeable. I love how invested he gets and the little insights he passes on, And personally I don't mind that he relates what is going on out there to his own experience. I think it helps shed light on a skater's life and trials.

As far as Kurt being a treasure - well I couldn't agree more. But I think it is only fair for Canadians to admit that he is definitely an international treasure.

I love how he pushed himself to accomplish so much as a competitive skater - but that he pushed himself even more as a pro. I love his mind blowing versatility as a performer.

And I love that despite that he gained so much fame for being the first to do the quad - that his programs are the very very best examples that fantastic skating is so much more. If he does a program without jumps or with very few jumps - you never find yourself saying "Do something"!. Instead your jaw is hanging open at the beauty of what he is doing on the ice - or the athleticism or the rhythm.

And I also admire so much of his work as a choreographer/ creator. I fell madly madly in love with the light number the men did for Stars on Ice last year. It was so so much better live than on TV. A mesmerizing piece of art that made me so grateful I had decided to see the show live!

Hurrah for Kurt!
    WildRose and (deleted member) like this.
  39. flowerpower

flowerpower Well-Known Member

Kurt has improved his commentary a lot from when he first started. I enjoy hearing his thoughts on the singles programs in particular (why a jump did not work, for instance, and his comments on the psychological aspects of competition). He's been an inspiration for so many skaters, from little kids to world champions, and he's still a joy to watch. I remember him once talking about a conversation he'd had with Brian Boitano, about how fortunate they were to be a part of this sport. And wasn't it his dad who told him that everyone's job is hard, but not everyone gets applause at the end of their day's work ;) ...so always be glad for what you have. Kurt really seems to appreciate everything the sport has brought him, and he continues to give back in so many ways.
  40. shine

shine Well-Known Member

Do you know if I can read about this somewhere? Thanks.