Kurt Browning, Evgeni Plushenko on similar paths

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by spikydurian, Oct 13, 2012.

1. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

Kurt Browning, Evgeni Plushenko on similar paths - http://www.cbc.ca/sports/figureskat...owning-evgeni-plushenko-on-similar-paths.html

Kurt ‘s hat off to Plushenko for his comeback and wondered how Weir and Evans will fare in their return to competition too.

Kurt talked about why he respects the current skaters despite not loving the current system.

2. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Very articulate and honest as always with a touch of humor. Kurt Browning, a classy talented guy who's contributed so much to skating. :)

3. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

Great commentary from Kurt Browning, both about his own experience and about other skaters. It's not spelled out, but I wonder if dealing with the IJS as a skater has given him a new perspective about how challenging it's been for skaters who didn't grow up with the system and had to adjust to it (with varying degrees of success).

I'm really hoping that we'll see Kurt in other events (hey, if Midori Ito could go to Adult Worlds... :))

4. Macassar88

Macassar88 Well-Known Member

Way to cover up for the shade he threw at Plushenko on Twitter :)

5. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

Does ICE competition that Scott Hamilton was promoting have no news yet on its development? It sounded really cool and grand, and more so than MWO now that we've seen it.

6. SkateFan66

SkateFan66 Active Member

Per the ICE website, the competition will debut in the Spring of 2013.

http://www.icechampionship.com/

7. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

:rofl:

8. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

I just look back with regret to the days when every Ladies skater had a perfect, simple layback with a fully turned out, waist-high attitude position and a back parallel to the ice, and every Men's skater had a simple, low sit-change-sit spin with lovely posture and a simple camel spin with stretch and toe-point, all centered and with speed, and ballerina-flexible Ladies never did a spiral with a catch foot or any hand assist, because they were all so musical...

skateboy and (deleted member) like this.
  9. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

Thanks! I should bookmark this address:D

10. alilou

alilou Crazy Stalker Lady

:rofl:

11. mag

mag Well-Known Member

:rofl: x 2

12. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

As do I. I was watching my Salt Lake Skating DVD that NBC put out (and I found in a bargain bin for .99 cents) on my laptop and, in turn, in HD since I have my DVD Player set for that the other day and to look at the gorgeous spins on that DVD... Especially Sarah Hughes' layback spin.

Sigh... :(

Another thing I miss that was obvious when watching that DVD? Moves and steps that actually went to the music and were creative to what the music called for instead of what CoP calls for. No wonder so many are wondering what's wrong w/skating these days.

And before it starts...It's an Artistic Sport, a mesh of the two.

Or at least it used to be. :(

Not sure if I'll be able to access that or not, as ever since the CBC redid their website, it's not friendly to those of us on Dial Up anymore. Makes trying to check up on things over there rather frustrating.

13. alilou

alilou Crazy Stalker Lady

Although we all want to see those things kwanfan1818 wrote about, and see them from some skaters no matter what the system, I suspect she was being just a tad sarcastic ;)

14. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

15. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

For those of us who are twitless, do tell of this shade thrown at Plushy!

16. Habs

Habs Well-Known Member

Here's Kurt's tweet:

‏
    Which he followed with this:

17. Lanie

Lanie Well-Known Member

Kurt is right. :shuffle:

18. midori

midori Well-Known Member

Actually it was more like this:
    There was an emoticon of thumb-up at the end of the tweet, but it was only visible on iPhone.

I do not think Kurt threw any shade, but some people just saw their own.

19. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

^^ :lol: Thanks for the explanations! Kurt really is a good guy, fair and openminded, says what he thinks, plus he's got a great sense of humor. :)

20. Macassar88

Macassar88 Well-Known Member

I think the thing that people were angry about was the fact that Kurt said that Buttle had amazing jumps and artistry and Plushenko only had amazing jumps.

21. lala

lala Well-Known Member

You are the perfect example of why were so angry Plushy's fans. That's totally untrue and malicious. :mad:
    :plush: :plush: :plush:

22. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

Poor Kurt! I wouldn't have read anything negative in his tweet regarding Plushenko. In fact, I would assumed he meant Plushenko's jumps were as great as Buttle's artistry. Kurt, never never tweet the P word again.;)

Last edited: Oct 14, 2012
  23. lauravvv

lauravvv Well-Known Member

All that I see that is malicious is your emoticon at th end of the sentence. As for Browning - where do you see something "malicious" in his tweet that praised Plushenko's jumps :rolleyes:?

24. lala

lala Well-Known Member

I reacted to Lanie post. And I believe you understand. Or ...don't you know the whole story?

Last edited: Oct 14, 2012
  25. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

But Kurt IS right to praise Plushenko for his jumps. Plushenko has been at the top of the sport since he was 16 or 17, he has gone through injury, he has gone through surgery and still hasn't lost his jumping abilities, which is amazing. If Kurt likes Buttle's artistry better than Plushenko's, I'd argue Kurt is entitled to his own preferences just like everybody else.

I wonder how many Plushenko fans were indignant when Plushenko told reporters after Vancouver that he found Lysacek to be an average skater and how many replied it was a malicious comment on the part of Evgeni.

26. yaya124

yaya124 New Member

Come on, Plushenko never said that Lysacek is an average skater. He has issues with the judging system, not with Lysacek.

27. anna1506

anna1506 New Member

Yes.
    "He's a great jumper," Plushenko said, referring to Lysacek. "He can do triple lutzes, triple flip, yes. And he's a very good skater, like artistic."

28. midori

midori Well-Known Member

Where did the word "only" come from? It's your word, not Kurt's. So, perhaps that is what *you* think, hope, or fear, I guess?

As much as I hate overflowing bad mouth on FSU towards Plushenko, I do not think being paranoid and jumping on someone randomly would help.

29. lala

lala Well-Known Member

Wow! Plush never said this.

30. peibeck

peibeck Counting down the days 'til Skate America

Yes, Plushy's crossovers are so artistique. :saint:

victorskid and (deleted member) like this.