Kulik trying to open training rink(school) in Orange County (CA)

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by barbk, Feb 9, 2011.

1. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

deltask8er and (deleted member) like this.
  2. Lanie

Lanie Well-Known Member

A rink in Lake Forest would be great. When I was in school in Irvine, I had to drive to Anaheim or Aliso Viejo to skate.

3. Oreo

Oreo Active Member

This is really interesting. The owner of the Ice Palace in Aliso Viejo is opening up a new training rink in Lake Forest (there have been a couple of articles about this in the OC Register lately), and then just a mile away Ilia Kulik is also opening a training rink.

There's a great demographic here, but I'm wondering if that's enough to support two rinks that close together.

4. Lanie

Lanie Well-Known Member

That's really interesting. I don't think there would be enough support for two rinks like that, so close together. Where I am, I think we've got the nearest rink for miles. The closest I think are Oxnard and Burbank, both a half an hour drive... In Irvine I was more than willing to drive to Anaheim or Aliso Viejo, it was just a total pain. Anaheim also has, what, 2, 3 rinks? So...

5. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

Hm....maybe that explains Vasiliev's planned trip to CA.

6. Willowway

Willowway Well-Known Member

Yes, Ilia is opening his own training facility.

It remains to be seen how the two rinks will serve the need in the area. Ilia's project, called Kulik's Skating, has been in the planning stage for a while (and Ilia has discussed it privately) and is intended to be a training facility for figure skating only. The other rink is being planned for hockey and figure skating. Neither rink is a public facility (no public skates, no walking in and just hanging out).

Ilia's rink will be used (he plans) by other coaches and their students and also by Ilia as he transitions, over a period of time, into coaching. Full-time coaching is his future (as he has said before) but it is not his present. He has confirmed to me that he still will do shows that fit into his teaching schedule (he will teach classes there as he does during the summer in Flims, Switzerland) and individual coaching. It will be a gradual migration to full-time coaching.

Tomorrow evening (as the article says) is the Lake Forest Planning Commission meeting and (hopefully) with his building permits in hand, Ilia has his plans and contractors ready to go to convert the space (which is a warehouse now) including re-bracing the roof so they can take out the vertical supports where the ice space is going.

There will be much more about Kulik's Skating as Ilia gets rolling but those permits are essential and Ilia has not wanted to publicize it (though he is both excited and committed to this new path) until he had those in hand and the contractors actually at work. If the town approves his plans (and the questions, including a use survey he had to do, are more about parking than anything else), then it's happening. He already has the building under lease and the refrigeration system (he is very particular about providing the best ice to figure skaters) has been designed. His refrigeration guru is Art Sutherland of the prominent Canadian firm, Accent Refrigeration. Everything is poised for the 'go ahead.' Fingers crossed for tomorrow evening! There will be a lot of press about Kulik's Skating when he is given the nod to move forward.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2011
    LynnW and (deleted member) like this.
  7. ChibiChibi

ChibiChibi Active Member

What a great news! I hope "figure skating only" approach work for both rinks. I heard that the original plan of Danny Kwan at the East West Ice Palace was to make it a figure skating only facility, but he had to bring hokey in because otherwise he couldn't keep the business. Recently he bought the rink in Ontario, so he might be doing well with the EWIP.

8. Willowway

Of the two new rinks, Kulik's Skating is the only one which has plans for "figure skating only" as the other rink was clear in their application that they will have a hockey program. As many folks know, perfect figure skating ice is a little too soft for hockey and so I'm hoping that catering to figure skaters will offer Ilia an edge with that group. In most rinks, the ice is calibrated for hockey and figure skaters put up with it.

9. flowerpower

flowerpower Well-Known Member

Very true.

On the other hand, when you compete around the world (or around the country), you rarely have perfect ice to skate on. I understand that in Canton, Zoueva and Shpilband resurface the ice infrequently, so that their dancers can learn to deal with rutted ice.

Regardless, I wish Ilia well with this new venture. I've read about his coaching in Switzerland and have heard positive feedback about seminars that he's given. It sounds like he has a lot to offer as a coach.

10. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

This is exciting - an opportunity to pass-on his legacy which, of course, also means the legacy of TAT.

11. Willowway

Passing on the legacy is a very important part of this and Ilia has stated that many times. TAT is of course a part.

What I think is equally or perhaps more significant is passing on the mind bendingly good jump technique that Kudriavtsev taught to Ilia. As Scott said during the 1998 Olympic broadcast, it is "pure" and Boitano echoed that when he said "he jumps like a god." Even TAT when Ilia went to her was smart enough to continue to ask VK for jump advice for Ilia as she coached because she understood that technical jump technique wasn't her strongest suit - now that's good coaching (getting the best in every department for your skater). And Viktor continued to give great advice so the triples were solid in Nagano and yes, the quad was there. Ilia has so much to pass along to another generation and he is more than willing to do it. Ilia has even talked recently about how much he continues to learn from Viktor in terms of coaching, patience with students, etc. when they work together every summer. Viktor is one of those non-flashy, amazing technical coaches and isn't it great that there is someone, Ilia, who takes VK's legacy to skating (not that VK has left yet!) very seriously. You're right about that!

12. Jim Hodges

Jim Hodges New Member

This is fantastic news. I wish Ilia the very best of success in this venture. He will be a fantastic full time coach when he decides not to skate any more. For those who know him they know he has the perfect personality to make a go of it. Also it gives great stability for his family and with Katia available to help they can do both singes and pairs.

13. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

This.

I hope everything works out for him.

14. loopey

loopey Well-Known Member

Do you have a link to this news? Are you talking about Center Ice? I new it was under new management, but was not aware that Danny Kwan purchased it.

I never understood why they built Center Ice, when it's so close to Ontario Ice Skating (on Holt). Two ice arenas within 5 miles in the Ontario area is a LOT of skating for this area.

15. Willowway

nevermind - I had the wrong article. I don't know anything about Danny Kwan's business.

16. loopey

loopey Well-Known Member

Actually, I didn't think you mentioned Danny Kwan at all, my post was directed to someone else (ChibiChibi). :)

17. victoriajh

victoriajh Well-Known Member

will katia be there coaching with him? I have a dream of having her choreograph a number for me one day ( when I can actually DO some of it!!! and when I have the extra money to do so ;) ) lol
    that would be some school!!!

18. ChibiChibi

ChibiChibi Active Member

Loopey, sorry I don't have a link to this news, but this is well known news in the So Cal skating community. I've never been to the rinks in Ontario, so I don't know the name of the rink, but it's the bigger one.

Back to Ilia, it'd be great if Katia is involved in this project, and she will have a training program for pairs!!

19. Carolla5501

Carolla5501 Well-Known Member

I don't live in the area, but work just blocks from it... (I laive across the country.. yes it's a long commute :) )

If one of these has evening "open" skate I might just haul my skates out of storage and move them to OC!

20. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

I hope this works out for Ilia (and Katia, if she's involved with it too)!

21. Jenny81

Jenny81 Member

What a great news!!:)

22. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

I wish him great success!

23. misskarne

misskarne Spirit. Focus. Ability. Tenacity. Aussie Grit.

Note to self: move to Orange County California ASAP!

I hope everything goes well for him! I think he'd make a fabulous coach!

24. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

When I was in school in Claremont, there were 2 rinks in Ontario, 1.5 miles apart on the same street. :rofl: Both are still open, last I checked. One of them is definitely a lot nicer than the other, though...

25. FigureSpins

FigureSpins New Member

He has the credentials - he's a PSA Master-rated Freestyle coach.

26. Willowway

Indeed he is. He was so pleased to tell the Krew that he had passed his Master level exam. I thought it was so sweet - he may be an Olympic champion but he is still very much a student (of many things) and still finds excitement in accomplishments like that one. Passing that exam was a step in this larger plan and an important one. This is all very serious, very for real.

27. FigureSpins

FigureSpins New Member

Bravo for him - he didn't just apply for a PSA Ranking, which is based on his skating achievements. That would have been an easy way for him to have some sort of PSA credentials alongside his name. Instead, he took several exams, written and oral, to prove his knowledge and obtain his Master rating from the PSA.

I'm impressed and wish him well in this new venture.

28. Willowway

Thank you for pointing out that Ilia did not take the easiest road (I didn't know he had another option and I'll share that with the Krew) - now you see the Ilia I know who is so sincere and so serious about skating. He's a funny guy and has a fabulous, wry sense of humor but (and I know many people who have also observed this) skating is not a joking matter with him and he is still completely passionate about it.

29. FigureSpins

FigureSpins New Member

I don't want to pick out curtains with him or become an uber, lol.

30. Willowway

Not a problem, LOL