Ksenia Makarova cheer thread!

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Katarzyna, Apr 9, 2012.

1. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

I’ve seen a lot of not very supportive comments regarding her skating recently, but I really like Ksenia Makarova. I think it was very brave to fight for being on the World team in 2012 against all the upcoming youngsters in Russia and I found it very gutsy of her to try to add a triple Lutz to her LP just before worlds. Hope it gets more consistent next season with a bit more time to practice it! :)

If she is on form, she has a lovely flow on the ice, nice spins, is very elegant and she skates well to the music (and to different types of music). I loved her Short Programme this year and the way she portrayed the music there:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylvYDThM58U&feature=related

Here is another programme of her that I enjoyed to watch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzZwUdj9O_M

I wish her well for next season – Go Ksenia! :cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:

2. martyross

martyross Active Member

i like her too. she has a regal style and a stunning presence. cold femininity. her short program at worlds was the only one that captured my full attention and moved me. and i did enjoy the marylin program, ok, it may be not a masterpiece but the character suited her. i hope she'll have good results going forward although it'll get insanely competitive. i'm rooting for her and Polina Shelepen :-D

3. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

Love her! :) She's had my favorite ladies SP for two seasons in a row, and I love the character pieces as well. She adds those little touches like blowing a kiss during her spiral sequence that make her a performer and not just someone doing moves for points.

Tracy Wilson had a good comment about her Worlds LP... that even when she falls, she never goes into herself, and always continues selling the audience. Real showmanship!

I happened to be a big fan of her parents so I used to root for her even before I had seen her skating, but luckily it turns out I like her skating very much. ;)

4. eurodance2001

eurodance2001 Active Member

What you said above which I bolded AND the fact that she needs better programs.. I'm shocked the Russian Federation didnt demand she get a new LP.. I mean they demanded a test skate, why not an actual decent program? Perhaps they let her skate this LP to sabotage her for the future since they are looking at their younger ones... I don't know.. Ksenia is a beauty, regal quality s was mentioned above and the potential to just hypnotize.. If she just had the right packaging!!

5. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

I thought her short program at Worlds was undermarked. She skated cleanly with the exact same jumps as Leonova and Murakami who also skated cleanly. Yet she scored 4-6 points lower. It looks like she didnt have any backing from the fed. at this point. I enjoy watching her, I almost wish she would change to another country citizenship since I dont think we will see her much or any of her skating anymore otherwise.

6. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

Another Makarova fan here. I love her presence on the ice and especially her spins. She obviously struggled with her jumps this season, but I hope she can work through her jump issues (growth spurt? technique change?) and make a strong comeback next season. :)

7. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

Ksenia was forced to do a test skate to earn a spot on the World Team, and skated an excellent short in Nice.

In spite of a shaky free, she hung in there and helped earn the Russian Federation three places for Worlds in 2013. Well done!

8. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

I do enjoy her. She's lovely when she's on. However, the FS she was given this year was most unfortunate. Ksenia is wayyyy above that crap.

9. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

I agree with you about Makarova's cold femininity but cold femininity is never what comes to my mind when I think of Marilyn Monroe. Monroe was a very sensual woman, so the character didn't suit Makarova a bit IMO. But I liked her short program.:)

10. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

I loved her short program, but her long program was.. underwhelming. I actually didn't mind the material, but too many splats at the Worlds. Once again though, LOVED LOVED LOVED her SP at Worlds, one of the best in the competition. I actually prefer Leonova but Makarova's pretty good, too.

11. PashaFan

PashaFan Active Member

Thank you for starting this thread. I too love Makarova & am tired at looking at the negative comments about her. Even when the subject is not about her somebody always posts something negative to say.
    I LOVED her SP this season. The music really suited her.
    I applaud her for trying something different in the free skate. So many people have trashed it yet I have really enjoyed watching a girl skate to the music instead of through the music.
    I hope she continues. I would rather watch her than the younger jumping-machines who can't do any choreography yet.
    Good luck Ksenia :)

12. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

:respec:

i would have changed the middle part of the music and moved the MGM theme to the end. I wish she would've made those simple changes during the season. Other than that, it's an excellent program and beautifully costumed. Great concept.

13. fan5

fan5 New Member

^Her costume at the Russian championship SP was aqua with sparkles, the program beginning with her setting boundaries? and then going off and skating like a cascading mountain stream - just beautiful. At Worlds she wore sky blue and skated like the wind. Yeah, I liked it, the LP almost as much. I thought it was sort of a biography of Monroe's life beginning with her coming on the scene and giving so much of herself, having some success, then the big time, fame and fortune then the night life leading to her untimely death, Ksenia putting everything into the performance, maybe at the expense of her jumps.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2012
  14. Katarzyna

Well, I too feel that Russian Fed doesn’t really support her. Probably only up to a level when they can use her as a mean to keep spots for the young wondergirls to skate in Sochi. Forcing her to do a test skate was just proof of it. Ok, she didn’t have a great start into the season, but she just had changed coaches and needed to adapt. She earned her spot at Russian Nationals and placed ahead of Alena Leonova at Europeans. But then due to that fact I like her even more. It’s certainly easier to skate well if you have all possible backing from your Fed, from the judges, etc. :respec:

About the Marilyn LP – it certainly left things to be desired (e.g. better music cut). However, Ksenia tried to do something new instead of opting for a “safe” programme to overused music like (insert Carmen, Bolero, ….). :)

I’d be happy if she could skate for Austria. She’d easily make a trip to Worlds every year! :lol:

15. Katarzyna

Need to add that I too very much liked their parents. One of the first pair skaters I remember from childhood beside G&G. They once had an LP to Russian Folk music and it was almost like an ice dance programme. :cheer:

16. fan5

fan5 New Member

"placed ahead of Alena Leonova at Europeans" -- good! Leonova scares me a little after that pirate finale!

I hope the Russian Fed appreciates what they've got in Makarova. The fans there actually might have been real fond of both Ksenia's SP and LP this year. When I was there, well let's just say back when St. Petersburg was called Leningrad ;), they were into American blue jeans and rock & roll, and Marilyn Monroe was a big story. I doubt that's changed so much. Ksenia, born in St. Petersburg, moving to the US when 8 years old and now back there living and delivering these programs is probably received better there than anywhere else -- and they really liked it in Nice, clapping along to the beat starting with the fast second melody pretty much till the end.

Worlds LP Nice --
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gasv193gFJA&nofeather=True

LOVE the CNOPT 2 commentator! So polite. And the skyline and sunsets in St. Petersburg are gorgeous. Maybe she'll stay a while.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2012
  17. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

I can't say I am a Makarova fan, but I don't hate her the way some posters here seem to. She is just 18 (19?), and still has the time to improve in many areas. Last year I liked her better than I did this year, but that's no reason for her to throw in the towel. I wish her well, and I hope she has a great future in figure skating.

18. PashaFan

PashaFan Active Member

The hate directed towards some skaters really shocks me. If you don't like a skater don't watch them.
    There are some skaters that just don't do it for me yet I can still understand how hard they train & the difficult moves they make. I would not dream of trashing them & everything about them.
    This thread is a good thing as now I can see how many people do like Ksenia & how she skates. I've liked her since the first time I saw her. I really hope she hangs in there & improves.
    Maria Butyrskaya should talk to her. There is a woman who had many critics yet stayed strong & was a lady competing against girls.

Vash01 and (deleted member) like this.
  19. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

:respec:

I've enjoyed Ksenia ever since I heard of her through Johnny.

20. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

Well said.:40beers:

21. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

I am actually more entertaining Vash's previous idea of her switching to U.S citizenship to have a chance to make it to Sochi. Now with Czisny out of contention, it opens the door a bit more. Could someone revive that thread.

22. Katarzyna

I too can only shake heads about some posts & comments (e.g. the title of the Ladies LP in the WC forum!). I think it’s ok if you don’t like a skater or his skating. It’s sport combined with art and with art tastes are different. But while IMO it’s ok to state in a neutral way that you don’t like e.g. a programme or that a certain skater is not your cup of tea, it’s something else if it’s almost a personal insult on some skaters - have seen this not only regarding Ksenia Makarova recently. :shuffle:

Even when I like some skaters more and others less, I admire everybody who does this sport at elite level. It’s probably one of the thoughest sports of all. You need so much discipline, personal strength, an iron will and nerves out of steel to be able and perform while hundred, thousands or even millions of people are watching you. I have deep personal respect for everyone who does it! :respec::respec::respec:

Back to Ksenia - here is another lovely clean SP from her (2010 season):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tv8nZD6PxHM :cheer:

23. PashaFan

PashaFan Active Member

Agree !.
    On the best ladies free skate of the season thread justAfsfan is trashing Ksenia.
    It's a thread about the the programes you like NOT the skaters you hate.
    What is it with some people?
    Leave Ksenia alone :mad:

24. fan5

fan5 New Member

Just looking back at Alena Leonova's Requiem coverage at COR by Eurosport and then at Worlds by NBC it's a bit puzzling that two groups of commentators can draw such divergent conclusions about the program, even though at different events. The Eurosport crew called it a superb skate in terms of choreo, interpretation, costume, on and on. NBC's commentary as the music began quipped "And now for something completely different" the Monte Python intro., and while complimenting the jumps said it was void of choreography. Eurosport explained the music starting with Adagio for Strings and then Requiem for a Tower emphasizing the transition from one to another -- nice! I'd been thinking they were both Clint Mansell's but found Adagio for Strings was composed in the 30's by Samuel Barber and was inspired by Virgil's "the Georgics", which helps me understand Leonova's concept.

Good team work Leonova/Makarova!

25. Lyinna

Lyinna Member

I've loved pretty much all Makarova's programms the past years. I especially love this year sp, she's very gracious. I hope we can see her again next year

26. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

This is not an option for her. She skated in two ISU Championships this season, so if she switched federations, she would have to sit out two full seasons and wouldn't be able to compete internationally until July 1, 2014. (See ISU Rule 109).

People on this board talk a lot about switching federations as a panacea for skaters who have some link to two different countries, but it really isn't, at least not any more. It's great for skaters like Christopher Caluza, who probably wouldn't ever get to represent the U.S. internationally but may even get to represent the Philippines at the Olympics, but it's not much use to someone like Makarova who has been representing her federation at the highest level.

27. PashaFan

PashaFan Active Member

North American commentators don't tend to give the credit to the European skaters like they do the North American & Asian skaters.
    I remember Dick Button ripping into Slutskaya even when she skated clean yet would always make an excuse for Kwan making errors.
    I sometimes think 'What if Gedvenishvili or Helgesson was from the USA'?.
    Would they be much higher ranked?
    And before people say I'm anti-North American I can say with pride that my father is American. It's just something I have noticed over the years.
    I just find that the US commentators can be quite rude towards the European skaters.
    And don't get me started on what they would say about Butyrskaya :yikes:

28. Katarzyna

Sad, but true. At least regarding OG in Sochi. :(

I remember a nasty comment from a female commentator during Irina Slutskaya's SP at 2006 OG that she does not even attempt to be artistic but just powers through her programmes. :blah:

Back to Ksenia even with the difficult situation that she now faces in Russia with all the little wondergirls becoming age-eligible, I still think she made the right decision to skate for Russia. She probably always would have been considered as the Russian skating for U.S. in North America, so if she had decided to compete for the U.S., it probably would have been difficult for her as well. For those interested in some background information on Ksenia's career - here are some links to articles on her:

http://www.recordonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20100216/SPORTS/2160326

http://www.recordonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20100103/SPORTS31/1030339

http://www.goldenskate.com/2010/01/breakthrough-season-for-makarova/

It's mostly about her going to OG in 2010, her parents and there is also a bit background information on her decision to skate for Russia. :)

Last edited: Apr 17, 2012
  29. fan5

fan5 New Member

It does seem those from smaller countries have to work harder. I'm hoping for Gedevanishvili through Sochi and was happy for her holding that 10th place at Worlds earning two spots again for Georgia. Hopefully she'll have company next year.

At the European Championships Eurosport was debating where Alena Leonova might go with her Adagio/Requiem LP since she's got so much ability as a performer, and at Worlds I think she showed a different facet of the music and some of the inspiration behind it, particularly during the Adagio -

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images.../1284053423497/Pakistan-flood-victims-006.jpg

It's very intense.

Good performances by both ladies!

30. apatinar

apatinar Active Member

Slutskaya skated like a truck driver on ice.. it is always amazing how the Russians and Europeans clearly could not see that. They were just so happy that they had a strong skater in contention for medals that they overlooked her sloppiness..
    It is the same thing with Plushenko.. Everyone else can see that all he has is superb consistent jumps with some crazy arm movements and sub-par spins that on occasion was packaged to look exciting.. however the Russians would have you thinking that he is the best skater ever!