Krylova & Ovsiannikov ?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by lulu, Nov 26, 2012.

1. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

Who is his wife - not anyone famous, I guess? He used to date Elena Sokolova, right?
  2. pani

pani Well-Known Member

3. lulu

lulu New Member

4. Susan M

Susan M Well-Known Member

Are you serious? Krilova was one of the worst over-actors in the last 20 years. I always found that over-angsty facial mugging and exaggerated expressions really off-putting and, frankly, kind of ridiculous. IMO it represents the worst excesses of fake sport. She just looked like she was trying way too hard to sell it. I much prefer when ice skaters/dancer look like they are doing/feeling what comes naturally. I'm guessing maybe this style is a Russian thing, because Domina was pretty bad at it too.
  5. shine

shine Well-Known Member

To each his own. Krylova has really only been "overly angsty" in the Carmen FD as far as I can tell. That was also the first skating performance (that I've seen) of Carmen which took a not very traditional approach and attempted to explore the psychotic nature behind the characters and I thought her expression was perfect for it.

Do you, for example, prefer the Tanith Belbin kind of drama?
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2012
  6. Susan M

Susan M Well-Known Member

I don't actually remember Tanith having any drama (just amazingly tacky costumes).

I prefer skaters whose interpretation is done with their bodies, so we can watch their movements without being distracted by facial expressions. Torvill & Dean didn't skate with their faces, nor did Klimova/P, nor the Duchesnays, yet all of them managed to project emotions with their movements.
  7. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

Oksana Domnina really did have really strange facial expressions. She looked so goofy in her last seasons, but I should cut her some slack because it's not as if her partner and coaches/choreographer gave her anything to substantive to sell other than her expressions.
  8. vivika1982

vivika1982 Well-Known Member

ITA that simple and pantomimic is always better but sometimes skaters have to follow their choreographer’s ideas, visions, conceptions and etc. It doesn’t mean that they cannot act.:)
    I actually wasn’t very found of Domnina’s expressions while she was competitive skater but i changed my mind when saw her in “Ice Age-Cup of professionals” with different partners and choreography.

With Zhulin
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rA4-UJnIpQ0&feature=player_detailpage#t=123s
    Kostomarov
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISKbHPRYxUI
    Tchernishev
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTk5l4ljhps
  9. Twilight1

Twilight1 Well-Known Member

That program with Domnina and Kostamarov was stunning. Wow!!
  10. lauravvv

lauravvv Well-Known Member

Thank you, but that comically grotesque program that she did with Zhulin was the only one where I thought that she didn't handle the acting part that well. Other than that, all her programs in that project were great and quite well acted. But, to tell the truth, I have never thought her over the top in the competitive programs that I've seen of her (that aboriginal dance is another thing - that too was a kind of grotesque parody on the Australian aboriginal culture). Probably just different perception. I too like those dances/programs where skaters are expressing the feeling with their movements, but I also like the ones that are acted - in a dramatic way, or otherwise. I don't think that there is only one right way of doing it like so many other people seem to feel/think.

I agree that, on the one hand, Krylova was "over the top" in their 'Carmen' dance, and another Spanish dance that they had as an exhibition. But, on the other hand, I agree with shine that her expression was appropriate for that 'Carmen' as it was not a simply dramatic, but also intentionally grotesque interpretation of the 'Carmen' story. That can be seen in the choreography itself, so I don't understand why people perceive and judge it as a standard 'Carmen' dance.
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2012
  11. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

Bumping this thread because I was watching their Carmina Burana and musing about why exactly they retired. While I still prefer A&P's, on re-watch, I like this better than I had remembered. I wish more skaters would use different cuts of Carmina Burana other than "O Fortuna."

This performance has very difficult lifts which she handles well. I would think with a back injury lifts were her biggest issue. There's also spins, twizzles, footwork, and it's all polished with good speed. This competition took place in December 2000, and IMO they don't look worse than FP&M who won Worlds that season (although, ridiculously, they were placed 3rd in this comp behind Punsalan/Swallow and Usova/Platov :rofl:).

I wasn't following skating on the internet back then but I do remember from fluff pieces that K&O had skipped the 1999-2000 GP with the intention of skating at Worlds, and A&P were waiting for them, but K&O eventually missed the whole season and retired. Does anyone have articles/insights from the time why they decided to retire? Did the Russian federation pressure them, considering that L&A had failed to make the podium in 2000?

I am not trying to say Krylova wasn't really injured; obviously they would have wanted the SLC gold more than anything. There are different levels of injury - pain which renders you unable to perform the required elements and pain which renders you unable to train at the level necessary to compete well. It seems from their performance at World Pro that she was able to do all the elements and they were done well IMO. I think it would be different with CoP because they would have to do more acrobatics to get level 4, but under 6.0 there was a bit of flexibility to make the elements difficult but suited to your body's capability.

I am wondering why they didn't just skip 2000 and then do a very reduced season in 2001, like just Euros/Worlds and maybe Cup of Russia, Euros, Olympics in 2001-02. G&P and DomShabs both used this strategy when they were injured going into the Olympics. I wonder if, perhaps, they felt that A&P were coming on too strong at that point, and then if they regretted that later when they saw that FP&M won Euros/Worlds. I have heard :watch: rumors that Krylova had a drug problem but they were unsourced and highly unreliable considering the drug testing that happens.
  12. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

I think all of this might be true.
  13. tralfamadorian

tralfamadorian Member

Going by memory, I think she said in a Russian interview that they retired because she recieved a very bad diagnosis from a doctor about her back and they scared her that she could become crippled from a bad move, so she decided to rather be safe than sorry, so I guess it was more about the fear of an even worse injury than the pain. (I don't remember what she said exactly and I don't remember which interview this was exactly, but that was the gist of it as far as I remember.)