Kristi's written a book

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by barbk, Mar 19, 2011.

1. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

2. love skating

love skating Clueless American

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  3. neptune

neptune Well-Known Member

The book sounds cute and all, but honestly, what special expertise does Kristi have to be writing a "children's book"? Maybe you don't really need any. Regardless, why should someone buy Kristi's book as opposed to, say, Jane Smith's children's book??

This sounds like one of those "I'm good at one thing; therefore I must be good at other things!" projects that athletes/celebrities like to take on. BTW, I hear that Tonya has a cookbook coming out soon too. It's called Your Goose Is Cooked. ;)

4. AnnM

AnnM Active Member

I'm thinking of going to the signing at The Grove on Monday. Anyone other SoCal FSUers planning to be there?

5. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

@AnnM-yes, I think so! Not 100% but I'm pretty sure.

6. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

My sister is basically the Jane Smith who has written several children's books but can't get any publishers interested. These days you have to be a celebrity (or otherwise be well-connected) before you can get the book publishers and agents to take a chance on you. I guess crappy books by celebrities fly off the shelves faster than well-written books by unknown people. :(

That said, Kristi's book does sound cute. I may check it out next time I make it into a bookstore.

7. neptune

I'm sorry to hear that.

Unfortunately. And many of those celeb books are ghostwritten, I'm sure. :p

As children's books go, it does sound like a pretty good one.

8. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

How about we read the book before we make judgment calls about Kristi's qualifications as a writer.

Being a celebrity helps a person get published, but then I also see so many horribly-written books by non-celebrities that get published and sell really well because of a niche market and some fantastic books that hardly get any attention. But then there are times where an unknown writes something, then it becomes a sensation or at least respected by literary circles. Like when an unknown author named Paul Harding whose book, Tinkers, was just another, small-marketed book put out by a very small publishing company, then it won the Pulitzer and demand exceeded supply for a while. Basically, publishing is almost like any business in the arts.

9. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Santa Rosa (CA) Press Democrat article: Yamaguchi's work far from over

10. orientalplane

orientalplane Mad for mangelwurzels

Considering the devastation, I'm afraid $10,000 isn't going to go very far.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  11. neptune

You don't really need to read someone's book to find out what his or her qualifications are. For instance, if Tonya published a cookbook, we would all know that she has no (to our knowledge, at least) formal culinary experience. And many people would prefer to buy a book by someone who has formal training--or at least significant real-life experience. At the same time, it's possible that someone like Tonya, with little or no experience, could publish a cookbook that lots of people would love, while a trained chef might publish a book that would get panned by most readers on Amazon. So, there's no guarantee either way. All I'm saying is that I can't think of a solid reason to take a look at Kristi's book before looking at others. I'm not judging the quality of the book, because I haven't read it. It may be a wonderful book, and it sounds cute. So, I say if someone is inclined to read it, go for it. But I personally need more than a celebrity name to make me want to take a look at a book.

True.

Is Paul related to Tonya? ;) That's refreshing when things like that happen. And didn't Justin Bieber's success come the same way? Of course, I can't comment on his music, because I've never heard it. :)

12. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

I guess the important thing is to look at it from the total number of donations being offered.
    Anything would help, I'm sure.

I know that on my limited budget, if I could donate that kind of money, I would.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2011
  13. neptune

I wonder if the pain is from skating or other activities as well? (BTW, since when is Kristi an actress?) That advice about doing anything that you do 110 percent has both good and bad elements. The good part is that it's saying, "Don't just dabble in things to build up a glittering résumé. The quality of what you do is very important." OTOH, it's bad advice in the sense that, as a human being, you simply can't give 110 percent to everything you do. It's important to strictly limit the number of your major goals, and develop the courage to let the rest go, for the most part. Otherwise, you will burn out quickly. Although directed at women, the following quote from Adrienne Mendell applies to all of us:

Fight the cultural expectation that you can do it all. You can't. Superwoman [or -man] only exists in comic books.

Yes, she looks great in that picture.

That's refreshing to hear.

I wasn't aware of that statistic. I'm glad she's involved in such a beneficial project.

;)

14. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

At least she has made a more substantial donation than most of us could afford. Good on her.

15. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

She's made a good life for herself after leaving skating -- maybe it is the Northern California vibe, but both she and Boitano seem to be very happy in their own skins, with no public pratfalls, and lives that have moved in interesting directions.

16. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Good for Kristi - I love to see her so successful and happy in her post-skating life.

And I totally get what she's saying about the 110%. She's not saying that someone should do everything or that you have to be all things to all people, just that if you choose to be involved with something, give it your all. I always appreciated her keeping up her skills and trying new things creatively as a pro - she never took an audience for granted.

And I admire her for forming a foundation and using her fame to accomplish good things for other people. When it comes to trying to help people, each contribution is important. One person's contribution won't change the world, but it can make a world of difference to the people benefitting from the contribution.

17. AnnM

AnnM Active Member

So I missed the signing Monday night at Barnes & Noble in LA, but I did go to the signing last night at Pasadena Ice Center. It was a really well-run event. At 6:30 Kristi took the ice with whatever kids were there for the public session & read a brief excerpt from the book. She also answered a few questions from the kids. Then she went upstairs for the book signing. In addition to signing the book, she was also willing to sign up to 2 additional memorabilia items and do posed photography. I got a copy of the book, an old Honey Frosted Wheaties box & my old skating boot signed, as well as a picture. I always had the impression that Kristi was unapproachable, but she was very nice & pleasant to everyone that came out. You could tell that she especially enjoyed seeing the little kids. I was in & out of the Ice Center within an hour --- way more efficient than I imagined.

18. Jessica

Jessica Active Member

I'm so glad you had such a wonderful experience. I've always admired Kristi and how dedicated she is to her "Foundation."

Yes, the picture is beautiful and her children look adorable.

19. neptune

Well, to be fair, it's rare for female celebrities to show up in public without any makeup. ;)

skateboy and (deleted member) like this.
  20. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

21. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

22. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Congrats, manleywoman! :)

Here's a brief article and photo of Kristi Yamaguchi's visit to Chicago yesterday: http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=news/local&id=8039806

She will be in Naperville today (includes news story video): http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=resources/lifestyle_community&id=8038897

ETA:
    http://www.phillyburbs.com/blogs/bo...cle_283149c6-5a0a-11e0-8944-0017a4a78c22.html

Last edited: Mar 29, 2011
  23. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

San Jose Mercury News: Children's Discovery Museum to honor Kristi Yamaguchi

24. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!