Kristi Yamaguchi had she not won the 92 Olympics

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by kuzytalent, Jul 31, 2013.

?

What would Yamaguchi have done if she didnt win in Albertville

1. would have still gone pro after 92 without Olympic Gold

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Stayed until 1994 but still not won the 94 Olympics, and turned pro without Olympic Gold

2.1%
  3. stayed until 94 Olympics, won it all in 93 and 94, then gone pro

91.7%
  4. Stayed until 94, not won the 94 Olympics, and stayed until 98

2.1%
  5. Won 94 gold, but gone past 94, but not until 98

2.1%
  6. Won 94 gold, but still stayed until 98

2.1%
  1. kuzytalent

kuzytalent Active Member

Had Kristi not won the 92 Olympics, won silver or bronze behind Ito and/or Harding (or Kerrigan, whomever) what would her future have been in amateur skating. Would she still have gone pro and accepted no Olympic Gold, gone for 1994 and tried for gold, even gone past 1994. How would she have done.

2. kuzytalent

kuzytalent Active Member

I think she would have won the 93 Worlds, 94 Olympics, lost the 94 Worlds to Sato, won the 95 Worlds, then probably won bronze at the 96 Worlds since she was losing her jumps by then (based on her pro competitions that year, many which she lost to Sato) and Kwan and Chen were so strong there. Losing consistency on her jumps and getting older, and starting to lose her dominance because of it she would have then gone pro rather than stay for 98.

3. berthesghost

berthesghost Well-Known Member

Kirsti has said on several occasions that their goal was the 94 ogm and that she just reached it earlier, so I don't think there is much room for debate here. Really, the only question is which tired chestnuts she'd drag out for music choices. Oh, and maybe if she'd have gone to 93 worlds. Assuming she was still the winner of 91 and 92 worlds, would she take the year off to tour ala petrenko and m&d.

Kerrigan, iirc, said she had planned on turning pro after 92 and only stayed until 94 because it was only 2 years and with kristi gone, she was convinced to stay as the US's medal hopeful.

4. bardtoob

bardtoob Well-Known Member

Totally clicked on the wrong option. There was nobody in 1994 that she couldn't have beaten even on a bad day except Harding. However, she had enough to beat Harding 70% of the time because Harding was only on 30% of the time.

My real choice would be OGM in 1994 followed by retirement. In 1994, Kristi was already in her mid-20s with nothing to prove.

5. Jessica

Jessica Active Member

I agree. However, Kristi was only 22 in 1994.

6. UMBS Go Blue

UMBS Go Blue KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!

Anybody's guess, really - Kristi could have been the one whacked by Tonya's entourage. :EVILLE:

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  7. Lnt175

Lnt175 Member

For sure she would have stayed up to the 94 Olympics , won gold and won the 93 worlds/nats as well. I don't see her staying on for 94 worlds, so she would have retired. It would have been a cakewalk for her really considering how well she was skating.

BTW Kristi didn't start to lose to Sato until 1995. Sato was winning all the big titles in the pro world that year and beat Kristi at world pros.

Interestingly if Kerrigan won silver in Albertville, and if Yamaguchi was staying in, I think Kerrigan would have retired after the 92 worlds.

Harding would have stayed in so I don't see that changing.

8. Susan M

Susan M Well-Known Member

I think you're right that Kerrigan would not have stayed around for the 94 Olympics if Kristi had continued competing. I also don't see who among the other skaters could have come close to beating Kristi in 94 unless she had a really off day. She was still doing triple lutzes and flips in her show programs for several more years after 94.

It's interesting to speculate what Harding would have done. Would she have continued with such a formidable opponent still ahead of her? She did not do well in the 92-93 season, and I suspect she was having a hard time staying motivated.

9. duane

duane New Member

IMO, this is an easy poll. Kristy would have swept 93 & 94, and retired after winning the OGM.

Which brings up the question of Oksana. I can't imagine her retiring without an OGM, and she would have only been 20 in 1998.

10. Susan M

I think you are right that Oksana Baiul would have continued for another year or two had she not won in 94. She'd may have won 95 Worlds, but by 96 she was struggling with a growing and maturing body. With Kwan around, I think Baiul's competitive career would have fizzled out before 98.

11. Lnt175

Lnt175 Member

Baiul would have continued, but I too don't see her being a a factor for 96-98. She had beaten Sato and Chen in 93-94 though, was a huge jdges favorite, so it is possible she could have won both worlds Sato and Chen won. One problem may have been the new rule of a triple out of footwork in the SP in the post Olympic year. Baiul had huge consistency issues once she grew, and they were already starting to show up in her last competitive amateur season.

12. Lnt175

Lnt175 Member

Well if we assume in this scenario that Harding does not medal in Albertville in fourth, I do think she would continue on even with Yamaguchi. Harding did at one point (prior to 92) prove that if she skated her best she could beat all of Yamaguchi, Ito, Kerrigan and Trenary. I don't know if this would have stemmed her downfall though, as she seemed to be on that road as is.

As for who was gonna beat Kristi in 94. Absolutely noone if she skated even halfway decent. Chen and Sato were the next best skaters after Kerrigan, and Kristi was regularly beating them. Baiul would not have been hyped to the extent she was, and her technical flaws would have been more scrutinized. Not to mention no whack, so none of that drama that influenced judging surrounding those Olympics.

13. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

Yamaguchi would have won 1994 with ease, with or without winning in 1992. Even without her 3salchow she could have beaten Baiul's 2fts and 2/2 combination. Not to mention, I don't think Baiul would have been reigning World champ and may very well have been lucky to leave with bronze. Oddly enough, Kerrigan may have been able to win if Yamaguchi had stayed in to win 93 Worlds.

14. duane

duane New Member

I don't think we can compare how Oksana fared during her pro career with how she would have fared if she had continued. After winning OGM (and with the huge popularity of FS after the famous wack), Oksana was enjoying the good life. I think she would have remained much more focused if she continued.

Oh, the what-ifs!

15. kuzytalent

kuzytalent Active Member

Well if Tara with tiny baby jumps and not great artistry could dominate 97-98 it just shows the womens field by then wasnt as super as some of you are making out. Baiul with way better artistry than Lipinski and way more jumping spring could have been a factor by then. Why couldnt she add more technical content than what she had in 94 if someone like Lipinski could do all she did even with such tiny and flawed jump technique. Plus dont forget how big a role reputation plays. The reason Kwan and Lipinski rose to the top so easily was almost all the veterans from 94-95 either retired or fizzled out leaving a clear and easy path to the top for them. Had any skaters considered a big name with past titles behind them been around it wouldnt have been as easy for underaged skaters who arent even eligible for World events today to immediately rise to the forefront, and the judges would protect past champions with titles over underaged newcomers unless someone was a good 35% or more better than them.

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  16. Susan M

Because she grew several inches and added a lot of muscle bulk. Oksana the slender, 16 yo, looking 13 waif who impressed in 93 & 94 got hit hard by the puberty monster. Yes, some of her jumps had a lot of spring in them, but she still didn't land them cleanly a lot of the time even in 94.

17. DarrellH

DarrellH New Member

Also, Kristi would have had the intimidation factor.

18. kuzytalent

kuzytalent Active Member

Wouldnt Kristi have skated the 94 and 95 Worlds atleast to help the U.S keep 3 spots, in addition to winning more World titles. She was such a selfless classy lady who thought of all others besides herself. Turning pro after the 95 Worlds she still would have hit the pro boom period nicely without having to bother to try and win the 98 Olympics at the advanced age of 26.

19. Lnt175

Lnt175 Member

Thats a good point about Kerrigan. She may have actually done better in the 92-93 season with less pressure of being the only American woman to contend for medals, especially with Harding on a downward trend. She may have able to have a halfway decent skate like she did in the other 2 years and still medal behind Yamaguchi. We didnt see that type of committment to her skating until the Olympic season.

Baiul would have been more serious in her training, but it still doesn't change the fact that she underwent the puberty monster. Lipinski had small jumps with some technique flaws but she still had incredible consistency (while she herself was in puberty). Baiul was not showing that after 95.

20. Lnt175

Lnt175 Member

Yamaguchi may have very well stayed in for one more worlds, but once she had achieved her goal of Olympic gold I don't think she wanted the pressures of amateur skating anymore. Plus by 95 Bobek and Kwan were making headlines as the new forces in US ladies skating. They easily gave the US women 3 spots, so i think its safe to say Kristi would have just retired by then.

21. mustafinabars

mustafinabars Member

Or maybe she would have done a really great skate and Kristi would have lost her triple lutz-triple toe (which she never attempted anymore as a pro), and missed the triple salchow as usual, and then Nancy might have beaten her for the first time and taken gold at the 93 Worlds.