Kraft Hockeyville 2011

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Really, Mar 9, 2011.

1. Really

Really No longer just a "well-known member" Yay!

I transferred schools this year and started teaching in Bentley, AB. Bentley is a town of about 1100 people just northwest of Red Deer. The town is home to the Bentley Generals, who won the Allen Cup in 2009, which is the Canadian Senior Men's Hockey Championship. However, the rink in Bentley is so small that when the Generals host playoff games (like they will here in a few days), they have to play those games in Red Deer just to have enough seating.

The school (K-12) just started a hockey academy this year for the elementary students and we hope to expand it to our junior high next year. Certainly having a decent facility where it's a little warmer inside than outside would be a help for all the people who use the rink!

This year, some industrious souls in Bentley fired up the community spirit and entered CBC's Kraft Hockeyville 2011 contest. Communities all across Canada were nominated, and tonight, CBC announced the Top Ten communities from five different regions of Canada. Bentley is one of two finalists from the Prairies, NWT and Nunavut.

The Top Five communities will be chosen after a public vote, much like Battle of the Blades, or American Idol, which ends Sunday, March 13, at midnight. The town that wins gets $100,000 for arena upgrades, gets to host an NHL pre-season game next fall, and will have one episode of Hockey Night in Canada broadcast from their town. The four runners-up get $25,000 and a broadcast of HNIC.

Check out the following links and then please vote for Bentley for Hockeyville 2011 as many times as you can before Sunday!

The video clip of Bentley from the Top Ten announcement is about 11:00 minutes into the broadcast here. You'll see me with Oilers and Flames flags sprouting from my head as our principal, "Don Cherry" walks in front of my at about 11:52.

Please help my adopted community become Kraft Hockeyville 2011!!!

The Bentley entry submissions

Bentley for Hockeyville Facebook group

Vote for Bentley, Alberta for Kraft Hockeyville 2011!

A short video from the Red Deer Advocate.

Another video put together of the day CBC came to videotape. We played this one in the gym just before the CBC broadcast of the Top Ten.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2011
  2. KatieC

KatieC Well-Known Member

Well, since Dundas, Ontario got it last year, I'll give you a few votes.

Really and (deleted member) like this.
  3. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

We made up our minds already to support Bentley, along w/Wolfe Island, as to us it's the small towns that really should be considered for this. I have a problem w/Brandon being in the running personally. I mean...They've got a WHL Team that packs them in every night and an arena in good, if not great, condition. It just doesn't "feel right" to me a city like Brandon w/it's advantages, is in this against small towns that really do need that money or their Arena could close for good.

I know I'll probally get nailed for that, but the Parents and I were talking about it and we were pretty much all in agreement on that one.

Good Luck to you and Bentley Really and I'll be trying to add as many votes online as I can!! :)

4. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

I voted and will keep voting! Good luck.

I was just at a high school state quarter-final game last night. One of my son's best friends was playing in it. The energy in the building was amazing - but they could have used another six or seven rows of seats :lol: It was standing room all around the boards.

5. ChelleC

ChelleC Well-Known Member

Just voted. Good luck!

6. purple skates

Voting and thread bumping. :)

7. Really

Thank you! I heard today that it took last year's winner about a million votes to win the title out of the Top 5. Any help you can give us will be greatly appreciated!

FSU rocks!

Our junior and senior high students will be holding a vote-a-thon tomorrow night at the school as they have Friday off for a PD day. I think some of the teachers might be a little on the tired side too because we'll be right there with the kids! We only have until Sunday night to make it into the Top 5...and then we won't find out until the Hockey Night in Canada broadcast on March 19 if we made it to the Top 5. *nailbiter!*

Again, thanks to everyone who is helping us out!

8. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Voted! And bumped up.

9. NancyNC

NancyNC Well-Known Member

Continuing to vote...and bumping up the thread for you. :)

10. Simone411

Simone411 aka IceSkate98

Thanks and just voted. :)

11. bobalina77

bobalina77 Duck Hunter

Voted.. good luck!!

12. Really

Thanks! We're at the vote-a-thon at the school with 40-some kids from the junior and senior high staying the night. In the first hour, they managed almost 11,000 votes. Our kids rock!

13. purple skates

They must have crossed eyes from reading the codes you have to put into vote. :lol:

(I just voted again for you. ;) )

14. KatieC

KatieC Well-Known Member

I struggle sometimes deciphering those codes, but thankfully, all mine have gone through with this site. Another vote this afternoon.

15. Really

Fortunately, you only have to get most of the letters right for it to work. You also don't need caps, nor do you need a space between the words. Our students also put a bookmark in the toolbar so it would be faster to reload the voting page than clicking through from the 'thank you' page.

All their collective shortcuts allowed all 58 of them, plus the 10 or so adults who were there off and on, to collect about 87,000 votes in our 10-hour vote-a-thon last night. The kids and the parents went home at 8 this morning, but the rest of the staff and I still had our PD day to work through. We did it -- VERY proud of our kids, and extremely grateful for the great support we've been getting from all over!

We've got until 10:00 MDT Sunday to collect enough votes to progress to the Top 5. Thanks again for your help!

http://www.krafthockeyville.ca -- vote for Bentley, AB!

16. AragornElessar

Just voted again.

Not sure why I'm only now thinking of this, but I'm going to start a thread about it over at the LOTR MB I belong to. The more people aware and voting after all.

I'm just sorry I didn't think of it sooner. Sorry about that Really.

17. Really

Don't apologize! We are hugely grateful for any support we get! Thank you for helping out!

18. SandraMGfan

SandraMGfan Active Member

Voted several times, and linked for my Facebook friends to vote too! :)

19. Really

We're down to the last 24 hours to vote! This is the ice plant in the 50-year-old rink. Needless to say, $100,000 would be a huge help in fixing up some things!

I hope the link worked...if you want to see the video about Bentley, click here

Thanks!

20. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

Voted again. Good luck!

21. skatefan

skatefan Well-Known Member

still voting - some of those validation codes are tough :lol:

22. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Good luck, Really!

23. Really

Thank you, all! Just over 4 hours left!

And then the waiting begins...

24. purple skates

Let us know what happens.

25. AragornElessar

Really, you guys got somewhere around 100 votes from the LOTR MB I belong to. We all hope it helps!!

26. Really

Now we wait. The announcement of the Top 5 is apparently going to happen during the Oilers games on CBC Saturday night (second half of the Hockey Night in Canada double header). We will have until midnight Eastern Daylight time on Monday, March 21 to rack up enough votes to win -- about 48 hours. The final announcement won't be until April 2.

Thank you again to everyone for your support!