Kostner vs Ando- better career

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by judgejudy27, Jul 14, 2013.

?

Kostner vs Ando- better career

1. Kostner

64.0%
  2. Ando

36.0%
  1. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

This isnt a discussion on who is the better skater, which I think 99% would agree is Kostner. However who has had the better career of the two. Comparing them Ando has 1 more World title. However outside her 2 World title, has only 1 World bronze. Kostner has 1 World title, but 5 World medals overall. Kostner has won the Grand Prix final, and medalled at the somewhat prestigious event 3 times. Ando has never won it and only medalled once. Difficult to compare their European and Four Continent results given the weaker European field and Ando not even frequently skating at 4CCs. Neither has a strong Olympic result.

So basically it is Kostner`s 3 additional non gold World medals, and superior Grand Prix final results vs Ando`s 1 additional World title. I would give Kostner the slight edge for better career, as I just find with her large total of World medals spread out over a very long time, many European titles (even though Ando could probably have done nearly as well), and strong performances in the Grand Prix final her career is slightly more complete, but it is close and could easily go to Ando given her extra World title. If Kostner does the expected and medals in Sochi she is easily ahead.

2. Lnt175

Lnt175 Member

Very close. I have them tied essentially at this point. Kostner is still part of the medal hunt, and Ando I would be very surprised if she even skates the whole next season. Depending on how Kostner does next season, she may very well surpass Ando.

3. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

Yeah, Kostner by a hair, but this will be even more definite if she medals in Sochi.

4. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

Neither has won an Olympic medal (yet). Ando has two world titles. Carolina just won one. Regardless of what anyone says about skating skills, as far as career goes, Ando has had more success. That could change in 2014.

5. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

6. butyrskafanatic

butyrskafanatic Member

Kostner has had a better career due to all her World medals. 5 or 6 medals at Worlds to only 3 for Ando. 3 top two finishes at Worlds to only 2 for Ando. Plus her success in other events which is all much higher than Ando. That is enough to overcome one extra World title, which is the only edge Ando has on anything.

7. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Kostner because she is leaving behind a bunch of signature programs and performances from these past few years.

8. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

Oh yes !
    In term of results, I can't say, but in term of impact and programs, Carolina Kostner had the best career, IMO.

9. torren

torren New Member

Miki was a bit underrated.. If there was not kim in skating world, I think I could see two japanese Mao vs Miki rivarly from 06-07 season which may be wonderful to see, because they would develop ladies figure skating the way combination of technical, also artistry. Especially in Technically They would do more harder, and harder jumps. I guess they would competitive in that way. Many think that miki is not so artistic but I don't think so. more than in competitions She is more artistic in ex http://youtu.be/IPvNjSYTrIU

Last edited: Jul 15, 2013
  10. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

It's like comparing Annette Poetzsch to Linda Fratianne.....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

11. Macassar88

Macassar88 Well-Known Member

Miki also has the legacy of being the first woman to get a quad ratified (we can argue until the end of time about the validity of it, but she has her name next to in in the history books) which helps her cause, so I voted for her.

12. judgejudy27

Well this is a close poll as I expected. Ando with 1 more World title, neither with a good Olympics, and Kostner having the edge over Ando in everything else (many more World medals, much better Grand Prix final results, more international wins around the World) which makes it a tough call. Hopefully Kostner pulls clear away next year, especialy considering she is the much better "skater" of the two.

13. Simone411

Simone411 aka IceSkate98

I see it is a tie right now and I haven't made up my mind yet. :lol: They each have 28 points. I'll research some more and vote later. :)

14. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

Ando at this point! The only thing that may tip it in kostners favor is if she delivers and gets the olympic medal all judges want to give her.

15. usova94gold

usova94gold Member

Kostner, no contest, and I am speaking just results and not skating abilities which would be an even bigger gap. Kostner has about double the World medals, all those European titles, all those Grand Prix final title and medals. Except for the 2nd World title Ando has nothing on Kostner.

16. Jeschke

Jeschke Well-Known Member

kostner got 5 not 6. and some of the very quite lucky like 2011 in moscow. ando instead was robbed in torino 2010 her world medal. i think regarding worlds only, ando is surely in front; no meltdowns and 12th place finishes like kostner has had and one world title more

17. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Kostner lucky in 2011? More like she had enough quality to carry her over despite not having the harder jumps.

And Ando robbed in 2010? Did you see her short program? Or the other 4 minutes in the free when she wasn't jumping?

If anything, it was Ando who was lucky to have won in 2011.

18. munow

munow New Member

It is pointless to argue who should have won over someone else in these polls. I'd say Ando's PCS in 2011 Worlds was laughable and she did not deserve the title.

19. briancoogaert

They were tied before my vote.
    I'm glad that Kostner is now leading. :p

20. torren

torren New Member

She did not do difficult jumps 3-3s. But she was artistic enough to get PCS she got. her skates were memorable and impressed than kim Yuna's.
    I guess you have bias in her that she is just a strong jumper...

Last edited: Jul 17, 2013
  21. Macassar88

Ando did a quad though

22. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

I wouldn't brag about that.

23. Macassar88

Why?

24. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

It's sooo because it might be < or << under modern cop rules but it was done under 6.0!! And it was ratified! Like Kurt browning might be < or <<!!!

25. briancoogaert

And why not Surya's ? ;)

26. butyrskafanatic

butyrskafanatic Member

People say Ando has no embarassing finishes at Worlds. Well she does at the Olympics (2006) and just prevented a couple from Worlds by either not being sent to get embarassed again (2006 Worlds) or quitting without even being injured rather than completing to a 15th type place finish (2008 Worlds).

27. os168

os168 Active Member

Better Skater = Kostner
    Better Federation = Ando
    Better Personal Champions = Kostner (Speedy vs Morozov)
    Better Medals = Ando
    Better Programs = Kostner
    Better Luck = Ando
    Better Popularity = Kostner
    Better Quads = Ando
    Better Judge's favour = Kostner
    Better Sporting Agency (at press handling) = Ando
    Better Outfits = Kostner
    Better Consistency = Ando
    Better Artistry = Kostner?
    Better Tech = Ando?

Better Money = ?
    Better Youtube Views = ?
    Better Fans = ?

Better Career = 54:46
    Depends on East/West report/hype. Though Kostner should exceed Ando in the long run after their competitive careers are over in the show circuit around Europe. I think she already has leading her own Opera on ICE show in Italy.

28. judgejudy27

Lets say we assign points to each achievement:

World title- 10 points
    World silver- 5 points
    World bronze- 3 points

Olympic Gold- 20 points
    Olympic silver- 10 points
    Olympic bronze- 5 points

Grand Prix final Gold- 5 points
    Grand Prix final Silver- 3 points
    Grand Prix final Bronze- 2 points

European title- 2 points
    Japanese National title (given tougher field than Europeans and since Miki barely skates 4CCs so we use this instead)- 4 points

Regular grand prix win- 2 points

Kostner would have:

2012 World title- 10 points
    2008 World silver- 5 points
    2013 World silver- 5 points
    2005 World bronze- 3 points
    2011 World bronze- 3 points
    World points- 26 points

2012 Grand Prix final gold- 5 points
    2011 Grand Prix final silver- 3 points
    2008 Grand Prix final bronze- 2 points
    2009 Grand Prix final bronze- 2 points
    Grand Prix final points- 12 points

5 European titles- 10 points

Grand Prix event wins- 8 points (4 of them)

Total points- 56 points

Miki Ando:

2 World titles- 10 points
    1 World bronze- 3 points
    World points- 23 points

1 Grand Prix final silver- 3 points
    Grand Prix final points- 3 points

3 Japanese National titles- 12 points

Grand prix event wins (5 of them)- 10 points

Total points- 48 points

Even for those who think my Grand Prix final points are generous Kostner would still come out ahead slightly probably.

29. os168

os168 Active Member

Except Ando has Mao to compete at home, and Kostner's strongest competitor in EU arn't as tough or consistent. There also seems more controversial ranking results in Kostner's career than Ando. I have no preferences, but just saying...

30. HVS

HVS Member

I find Yuna's LP in 2011 Worlds very beautiful, despite few mistake it was still memorable and impressed! Many people even hope that program will be remade in her last season ;)

Miki's? :rolleyes: