Kostner returning to Oberstdorf

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Tarasirius, Jul 8, 2010.

1. Tarasirius

Tarasirius New Member

2. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

Worlds 2010 was her best event in quite a while. Hopefully her momentum continues!

3. MOIJTO

MOIJTO Banned Member

She needs to retire.

IceAlisa and (deleted member) like this.
  4. Lis

Lis Active Member

She is only 22 so NO she does not need to retire.Carolina skating is one of the fastest in the female field and such a joy to watch. I am totally glad she stays.Actually I think the female skaters are at their best when they are at least!!!! 25 years old.

5. MR-FAN

MR-FAN Kostner Softie

4 more years!!! 4 more years!!!

There's nooooooooooooone like Kostner. Can't wait to see what she has to offer next season :cheer2:

6. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

She can do really well sometimes. Like when she won the European Championship and her respectable performance at worlds.

7. igniculus

igniculus Well-Known Member

There were times when I hated her and her overscored skating, but I guess her struggles in the past 2 seasons lessened my hard feelings for her and I was really sorry for her. I hope she gets in form again.

8. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

No. What she needs to do is find the right coach for her. Frank's an amazing coach and I'm sorry things didn't go as well as Carolina wanted. I hope this return to Michael will go very well. Carolina's a fantastic skater, she just needs to become more consistent, because she's got everything to become a champion.

Força, Carolina!

:cheer2:

9. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

I agree with MOIJTO. At this point it's very hard to imagine a miraculous gain of control over her nerves.

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  10. london_calling

london_calling New Member

I wish her well but I don't think she'll be a threat for the world podium. I have never seen a skater telegraph their jumps quite like her.

Not to split hairs or anything but she is 23 now and will be 24 by the next World Championships.

11. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

Honestly, I saw some improvement this past season and it's probably due to FC and Carla Fassi. I know that her olympic performance contradicts that statement but she was more pleasing for me to watch.

IMO, going back to Huth isn't a good move. He never seemed able to get her head straight. I just don't see her rising (again) in the next quadrennial '11 - '14

12. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

;) Carolina was coached last season by Christa Fassi (who was married to the late Carlo Fassi).

13. ltnskater

ltnskater Active Member

:lol: I take it you haven't seen Elena Liashenko jumping before :lol:

birdgal and (deleted member) like this.
  14. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

She's been in Obertsdorf for a while now.

The US plan backfired completely. Shame.

The retirement suggestions are ridiculous though.

She has enormous potential and even when skating not to her full potential, she is capable of medaling, at least at Euros.

15. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

My dream is that Joannie and/or Caro will win a world championship in this quad! This sport needs more women on top! Little girls are so :shuffle::wall:.

ITA! I'd rather watch a messy program skated by the charming Kostner than a clean program skated by boring Lysacek or Plushenko.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2010
  16. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

I wonder if she's adding any coaches to her team with this second go round with Huth. Jump coach maybe? If not, this isn't going to end well.

17. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Oh poo. Yuna isn't a little girl either.

18. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

No, but she already has a world title as does Mao and Miki. Who wants to see the same person win everything? :shuffle:

19. tangerine_dream

tangerine_dream New Member

No, what she needs is to do full run-throughs. If she's going to be lazy about training then no amount of talent in the world will get her to the top. She could have gone far with Frank but her refusal to do run-throughs and commit herslef 100% to training harder than she had in the past screwed her over, and now she's going back to her previous coach where she can continue to rest on her talent- which is simply not enough.

If what she has done up until now hasn't given her the results she was seeking, she should realize that she should make a change. Changing coaches without changing her training habits won't do squat.

20. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

How do you know she was refusing to do full-runthroughs?

From what I have heard, Kostner is a hard worker and her and Caroll were simply not a personality match. Sometimes people just rub each other the wrong way and don't get on despite the best intentions on both sides.

I wish she could find a good coach she'd get on with. Black Mark of Huth. :shuffle:

21. ballettmaus

ballettmaus Well-Known Member

Here's a translation of the article.

Three time European Champion Carolina Kostner is fed up with the big world. After 15 months she ends her guest appearance in LA and returns to longtime coach Michael Huth. “The change from a small town to the metropolitan of LA has been too enormous. She recognized that. Now we’ll have to see how we’ll build her back up.” Huth said.

This Friday will be Kostner’s first public appearance. She’ll perform in the show “Greatest Hits on Ice”. The event is the highlight of a training camp (Ice Dome) with more than 130 skaters from 20 different nations. The youngest are just 7 years old – and charmed by Carolina Kostner. Exactly like the provisional CEO of the Oberstdorf skating club, Harald Löffler. “The return of Carolina Kostner is certainly enriching for the Oberstdorf skating scene.” Lately, the career of the St. Ulrich native, who first came to the Oberstdorf sport school at the age of 13, hasn’t run smoothly.

Leaving to train with Christa Fassi and Frank Caroll hasn’t brought her any closer to her ultimate goal. On contrary: she placed sixth at the World Championships and fell down to 16th place at the Olympic Games. Kostner was devastated – and soon contacted her former coach Huth. “The door has never been closed. I think we can offer her more than day in, day out, doing run-throughs of her programs,” the married father said and who is practically like family to Kostner. If the cousin of retired skier Isolde Kostner will be able to reach her dream, needs to be seen.

Right now, Huth has to serve primarily as a psychologist. “Caro lost a lot of her natural character in the US. She has to get comfortable first before she’ll have that back,” he said. Next to the ice, his protégé is missing her sovereignty as well. She didn’t want to answer any questions prior to the skating show tonight. The reasoning: Too much stress…

softlip, TAHbKA, alilou and 3 others like this.
  22. MikiAndoFan#1

It's just wrong to call Carolina lazy. The girl works her butt off. As Ziggy said, Carolina and Frank just weren't a match.

23. MikiAndoFan#1

Thanks for the translation, ballettmaus!

:cheer2:

24. jlai

jlai Title-less

People are attributing all sorts of problems to her (laziness, headcase, whatever). But I wonder if she really can get very consistent considering how tall she is.

Are there actually tall and consistent jumpers out there or has there been any?

25. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

The height might be an issue but I think I remember some posters mentioning that her technique was in some ways less than stellar and Huth has been either unable or unwilling to correct that.

ETA: Ahhh I think I remember now.

Jacek Tascher who is a coach and Polish Eurosport commentator is often making comments about Kostner rushing her jumps (I don't remember the details of what he said though).

I guess that can be a psychological issue as much as a technical one.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2010
  26. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

Thanks for the translation, balletmaus -- if she's too stressed to answer questions prior to a pre-season skating show, she's pretty dicey. She had the unfortunate experience of doing very well (results-wise) early along despite rarely being able to skate anything close to clean, and I think there was a lot of backlash that must have been personally painful when she did so badly at Worlds a year ago and then the debacle at the Olympics.

27. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

I'd like to see Kostner work with an actual sport psychologist and not just Papa Huth. :p

28. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

But his foolproof methodology has taken her so far! Truly an inspirational training environment he's built in Dortmund.

:wall:

29. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

She should become a speed skater.

30. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Exactly.