Kostner considering quitting?

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by alij, Jul 6, 2012.

1. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

It would be disappointing to see her decide not to continue competition skating, like someone else, a purely selfish reason in that I really love her skating and what she does musically. Her SP last season was magnificent in terms of what she brought out with and did to that music.

But I can totally understand if she does decide to not continue.
  2. Mafke

Mafke New Member

MR-FAN and (deleted member) like this.
  3. love_skate2011

love_skate2011 Well-Known Member

^

were u serious ? :confused:
  4. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

5. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

6. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Sad but probably true. I recall that Midori Ito very late in her career was also "forced" into competing again at Worlds, when she clearly appeared unhappy, uninspired, unmotivated, not in good form and obviously simply out there because she "had" to be for her country/ federation. That is why it was so wonderful to see Ito competing recently in the adult competitive ranks -- out there on the ice for the joy of it and for herself, and not carrying the burden of her country on her back.

Does the Japanese Fed think Suzuki's success is not enough, and that Mao's best days are over, and the up-and-comers are not ready?

ETA:
    I'm more interested in seeing Kostner continue in the eligible ranks than I am in seeing Yu Na and Miki make half-hearted efforts to come back for purely "Fed needs me to" reasons (and maybe in Yu Na's case for pride and to see if she can further her "legacy" and Queenly status by trying to win another Olympic gold medal). I don't think that what Yu Na and Miki do should deter Kostner from returning -- she really made so many strides artistically in the last few seasons. But perhaps the physical and technical demands Caro feels may be too taxing. Caro said she's interested theatre and opera -- she certainly has the looks and performance ability to wow on stage. Does Caro have a great singing voice too?
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2012
  7. love_skate2011

love_skate2011 Well-Known Member

well better yet she should try the big screen.:p Kostner has the looks, imo
  8. lauravvv

lauravvv Well-Known Member

I don't think she intends to actually sing in opera, or even perform on stage at all. It's very probable that she plans to be involved with theatre and opera in other ways. She is also talking about drawing/painting and designing in that first article, so it could be that she wants do stage or even costume design.
  9. DaiKozOda

DaiKozOda Active Member

Last edited: Jul 8, 2012
  10. iggie

iggie New Member

11. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

She by far has been my favorite lady actively competing in the eligible ranks since the conclusion of the 2010 season. Both in the 2011 and 2012 seasons, she was my gold medal favorite in every event she entered, so I will be extremely sad to see her leave competitive ice, but I do understand the temptation to do so if she feels she has accomplished all of her goals for herself. This sport is very taxing physically, mentally, emotionally, financially, and these athletes do sacrifice so much of their lives and time to be a part of it. Whatever is in store for Caro, I sincerely wish her all the best and she has been a true pleasure and inspiration to watch over the years of her long career! I hope I will be able to indulge in watching many of her show programs in the years to come! :swoon::cheer2::encore:
  12. shuilee

shuilee New Member

Good for Caro pulling a "Jill Trenary" and leaving the sport on a high. Similar to Trenary back in 1990, Carolina knows that her technical difficult won't be enough by time of the Olympics.
  13. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

:confused: IIRC, Jill was injured after her World title in 1990 and officially retired in October 1991.
    Anyway, I see what you mean. The difference is that it would have been difficult for Jill to qualify for the Olympics, considering the high level of girls in the US in 1991-1992.
    Although Carolina would probably have that spot for a 3rd Olympic experience ;)
  14. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

Kostner and Marchei can be proud for earning Italy 3 spots next season.

If Carolina does in fact retire, maybe the Italian federation could bribe Silvia Fontana and Vanessa Vanessa Giunchi back into competition somehow.
  15. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Giunchi really rocked the hair band.
  16. falling_dance

falling_dance The Scarlet Unlettered

Truer words were never spoken.
  17. smarts1

smarts1 Well-Known Member

Leonova's LP at Worlds lacked any type of personality whatsoever, and that spunk is exactly what her fans like about her. But the skate she put out there was dead artististally. She was so focused on the jumps that everything else suffered. She was lucky she held under the pressure and landed the jumps when it mattered because we've seen her tank when it really counted. And I was :mad: that she pulled it together at 2012 Worlds. Akiko with the silver and Ashley with the bronze would have been a much better (and more well rounded) podium.

Anywho, does anybody else think that Carolina is just thinking of taking one season off and go for the 2013-2014 season instead?
  18. jiggs

jiggs Well-Known Member

As far as I can remember, Carolina has always said that if she retires, she wants to retire for real, and not come back after taking time off.

I think it will be either retirement or doing 2 full seasons till Sochi for her. I don't think she will do half-half.
  19. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

That Schindler's List FS performance.... Amazing.

Shame she never managed to get the 3flip and 3lutz.

I think that had Leonova's "programs" been judged appropriately on the PCS, that's what the podium would have been.
  20. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

I liked a no "LOL look at me" non-personality, drama LP from Leonova.
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2012
  21. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  22. leigh466

leigh466 Active Member

Well, I guess I am not worse than Hitler (LOL), because I agree with you. I would so hate to see her go now. I sure hope she stays for a final Olympic appearance in which she just lets the beauty of her skating speak for itself. I am shocked at what a big fan of hers I became in the last three years.
  23. victoriajh

victoriajh Well-Known Member

i hope that she sticks it out another season-till sochi-
    I can see the change in her this season-she just seems to float in confidence and i loved seeing it!!! but it is a lot of work and I understand why she might feel that she is ready to finish competing- such a hard decision!!
  24. AndyWarhol

AndyWarhol Well-Known Member

I think if her heart isn't in it, and she wants to persue other things and have a "normal" life she should.
  25. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

I have grown to really appreciate her skating post-Vancouver.

TBH, if she keeps up her consistency, I think she still has a decent chance to medal or even win without the lutz all the way up to Sochi. The Russian girls (minus Lipnitskaya) and even Asada have shown signs of inconsistency. The American girls are not in her league. Kim, Ando and Rochette are questionable with their long absences.

Kostner has accumulated / earned a lot of goodwill with the judges in these few seasons and I would never count her out for a medal in any competition. Having said that, I do agree it is the perfect time to say goodbye to amateur skating, but I will surely miss what she has to bring to the ice. She has grown into such a unique, beautiful skater that I just love to watch her skate whether or not she is skating for a medal.
  26. IceIceBaby

IceIceBaby New Member

So when is her official press conference scheduled? Today or tomorrow?
  27. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

This stream of events/atmosphere reminds me of Jeff Buttle's retirement announcement. In a way, Carolina's a lot like Jeff. Splendid skating skills yet inconsistencies hindered them from widening their career goals.
  28. RunnersHigh

RunnersHigh Active Member

Is that really needed? :(