Kostner considering quitting?

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by alij, Jul 6, 2012.

1. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

I also would like to see Kostner outdo her gold medal-winning performance. :p

2. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

I fell in love with Carolina's skating during the last two seasons. She became my favorite woman skater and the personification of what I love in the sport. Musicality, originality, skating skills, style and perseverance. If she decides to quit, I'll miss her a lot, but I'll also understand; last year she achieved pretty much everything. I LOVE reading how many plans and desires she has for her life after skating. Theatre and opera, teaching- that's so great.

3. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

I got a question then. If a skater signs a contract with ISU regarding the participation of GP, couldn't he/she just withdraw later in case something comes up? I've seen many before but I think I might have heard somewhere that starting this season the rule has changed to lock skaters in GP circuit.

4. Eislauffan

Eislauffan Well-Known Member

In an interview for the current issue of International Figure Skating Carolina also said that she is taking time to make a decision. She kept her options open by getting assigned for the Grand Prix. She also said she kind of hopes to find the motivation in herself to continue.

5. DickButtonFan

DickButtonFan New Member

It's surprising she feels this way, thought her goal was to win a medal at the olympics. Whatever she decides, she's had a great career.

6. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

The GP Announcement states that seeded skaters need to confirm their participation by August 1st -- see: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?p=3613823#post3613823
    3.1 Confirmation of Participation of Seeded skaters/couples
    The ISU Members must confirm the participation of the seeded skaters/couples in the two (2) events to the ISU Secretariat by August 1, 2012. If a seeded skater/couple does not participate in the event(s) for which they are designated, there will be no substitute event(s).

7. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Just to clarify, "Come-back" skaters and couples where were previously seeded are considered seeded, which is why GP announcement section 3.1 applies.

Becoming a "Come-back" skater or couple is a one-time option. The announcement doesn't state explicitly whether signing the contract alone is taking that option, whether the skater is confirmed (this year by 1 August), or whether the skaters skates.

8. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

Thanks for the clarification, Sylvia and Kwanfan1818:D

9. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

Most elite skaters have to make sacrifices and are aware of it.

In high school and after their friends are partying, dating, staying up late, traveling, eating pizza and drinking beer, hanging out in university pubs. In contrast, skaters have to lead disciplined, routine and focused lives. It's inevitable that they'll miss out on some of the life experiences common to teenagers and young adults.

Carolina has been in the spotlight since before the Torino Olympics. She's now 25 and it's not surprising she is finding the notion of retiring appealing. I don't think a Gold Medal in Sochi is her vision, nor whether she could actually contend for it. Now could be a very good time to move on.

10. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

Very true. I dont see either Kostner or Ando being serious contenders in Sochi which will be the Russians, probably the Americans, Kim if she returns in half decent or better form, and possibly some of the other Japanese. Both are best to go out on the high of a World title. I wouldnt be surprised if Ando bails on her grand prix assignments and goes pro too, I dont think we will see either in Sochi.

11. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

It would be disappointing to see her decide not to continue competition skating, like someone else, a purely selfish reason in that I really love her skating and what she does musically. Her SP last season was magnificent in terms of what she brought out with and did to that music.

But I can totally understand if she does decide to not continue.

12. Mafke

Mafke New Member

MR-FAN and (deleted member) like this.
  13. love_skate2011

love_skate2011 Well-Known Member

^

were u serious ? :confused:

14. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

15. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

16. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Sad but probably true. I recall that Midori Ito very late in her career was also "forced" into competing again at Worlds, when she clearly appeared unhappy, uninspired, unmotivated, not in good form and obviously simply out there because she "had" to be for her country/ federation. That is why it was so wonderful to see Ito competing recently in the adult competitive ranks -- out there on the ice for the joy of it and for herself, and not carrying the burden of her country on her back.

Does the Japanese Fed think Suzuki's success is not enough, and that Mao's best days are over, and the up-and-comers are not ready?

ETA:
    I'm more interested in seeing Kostner continue in the eligible ranks than I am in seeing Yu Na and Miki make half-hearted efforts to come back for purely "Fed needs me to" reasons (and maybe in Yu Na's case for pride and to see if she can further her "legacy" and Queenly status by trying to win another Olympic gold medal). I don't think that what Yu Na and Miki do should deter Kostner from returning -- she really made so many strides artistically in the last few seasons. But perhaps the physical and technical demands Caro feels may be too taxing. Caro said she's interested theatre and opera -- she certainly has the looks and performance ability to wow on stage. Does Caro have a great singing voice too?

Last edited: Jul 7, 2012
  17. love_skate2011

love_skate2011 Well-Known Member

well better yet she should try the big screen.:p Kostner has the looks, imo

18. lauravvv

lauravvv Well-Known Member

I don't think she intends to actually sing in opera, or even perform on stage at all. It's very probable that she plans to be involved with theatre and opera in other ways. She is also talking about drawing/painting and designing in that first article, so it could be that she wants do stage or even costume design.

19. DaiKozOda

DaiKozOda Active Member

Last edited: Jul 8, 2012
  20. iggie

iggie Well-Known Member

21. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

She by far has been my favorite lady actively competing in the eligible ranks since the conclusion of the 2010 season. Both in the 2011 and 2012 seasons, she was my gold medal favorite in every event she entered, so I will be extremely sad to see her leave competitive ice, but I do understand the temptation to do so if she feels she has accomplished all of her goals for herself. This sport is very taxing physically, mentally, emotionally, financially, and these athletes do sacrifice so much of their lives and time to be a part of it. Whatever is in store for Caro, I sincerely wish her all the best and she has been a true pleasure and inspiration to watch over the years of her long career! I hope I will be able to indulge in watching many of her show programs in the years to come! :swoon::cheer2::encore:

22. shuilee

shuilee Well-Known Member

Good for Caro pulling a "Jill Trenary" and leaving the sport on a high. Similar to Trenary back in 1990, Carolina knows that her technical difficult won't be enough by time of the Olympics.

23. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

:confused: IIRC, Jill was injured after her World title in 1990 and officially retired in October 1991.
    Anyway, I see what you mean. The difference is that it would have been difficult for Jill to qualify for the Olympics, considering the high level of girls in the US in 1991-1992.
    Although Carolina would probably have that spot for a 3rd Olympic experience ;)

24. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

Kostner and Marchei can be proud for earning Italy 3 spots next season.

If Carolina does in fact retire, maybe the Italian federation could bribe Silvia Fontana and Vanessa Vanessa Giunchi back into competition somehow.

25. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Giunchi really rocked the hair band.

26. falling_dance

falling_dance Bravo, Patrick.

Truer words were never spoken.

27. smarts1

smarts1 Well-Known Member

Leonova's LP at Worlds lacked any type of personality whatsoever, and that spunk is exactly what her fans like about her. But the skate she put out there was dead artististally. She was so focused on the jumps that everything else suffered. She was lucky she held under the pressure and landed the jumps when it mattered because we've seen her tank when it really counted. And I was :mad: that she pulled it together at 2012 Worlds. Akiko with the silver and Ashley with the bronze would have been a much better (and more well rounded) podium.

Anywho, does anybody else think that Carolina is just thinking of taking one season off and go for the 2013-2014 season instead?

28. jiggs

jiggs Well-Known Member

As far as I can remember, Carolina has always said that if she retires, she wants to retire for real, and not come back after taking time off.

I think it will be either retirement or doing 2 full seasons till Sochi for her. I don't think she will do half-half.

29. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

That Schindler's List FS performance.... Amazing.

Shame she never managed to get the 3flip and 3lutz.

I think that had Leonova's "programs" been judged appropriately on the PCS, that's what the podium would have been.

30. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

I liked a no "LOL look at me" non-personality, drama LP from Leonova.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2012