Korea's Got Talent Surprise

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by VIETgrlTerifa, Jun 29, 2011.

1. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

I don't know if this was posted anywhere, but I had to share this video with FSU. I saw it on another message board, and the OP there said that this video made him tear up. Of course, I was a bit skeptical about it and cynical about the tv manipulation and thought it'd be another Susan Boyle type of thing. Of course, a part of it is, but I couldn't help but be incredibly moved by this young man's story and performance. I was seriously crying after watching this.

http://youtu.be/BewknNW2b8Y

I guess it goes to show you that despite everything, you can still be surprised.

2. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

That was wonderful!! Thanks for posting it. . .he's such a sweetie.

3. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

Wow, that was excellent!

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  4. Loves_Shizuka

Loves_Shizuka Gettin' my sass out

As a rule, I HATE anything reality based like this, and so very, very rarely do I cry.

Yet now I'm sitting here with tears rolling down my cheeks.

Thanks for posting it!

5. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

And he certainly can sing his heart out! Thanks for posting.

6. Nan

Nan Just me

Beautiful. Thank you. :)

7. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

Sweet kid with plenty of potential---I bet he'll be heard from in the future...

8. Kasey

Kasey Loving on babies!

Beautiful and brilliant. Thank you.

9. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Amazing! I'm glad that the judges are going to help him get the training he needs.
    I'll be waiting to hear what happens, om the show, and beyond.
    Can some of our members make sure we know?

One thing is certain: I'll never forget him.

10. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

Just saw this thread. An emotional story and such a moving performance.

11. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

What a story!! :wuzrobbed

RunnersHigh and (deleted member) like this.
  12. Holley Calmes

Holley Calmes Well-Known Member

Please keep us posted! What a lovely young man and such a voice! I truly care about him and want to know how it goes for him.

13. michelle K

michelle K Active Member

Sung-Bong Choi came in second in the final portion of the show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIy99OT2BAQ&feature=relmfu

Although he did not win, he looks more relaxed and comfortable around people.
    After running away from the orphanage, he lived on the street without even knowing his real name until a street vendor lady encouraged him to go to school a few years ago. It really baffles me how he was able to survive and dodge police or adults who might have tried to take him back to the orphanage. He said he often slept in public toilets, did things he should not have done (like stealing), was bullied and abused by bad people.

Although he managed to go to a high school for arts with some help from kind people (in interviews, he mentioned a singer who gave him free voice lessons), his financial difficulties continued and he missed classes a lot. He confessed he did not like being pitied and refused help from teachers and classmates. It probably was not easy for him to fit in after living on the street alone for many years.

Living on the street, he was hit by a car twice, which left him with poor hearing and constant ringing in his right ear due lack of proper medical treatment. It looks like he did not get any living assistance from the government or charity organization until 2006.

Asked about how he started singing, he said ‘One day, I went into a night club to sell gums, and for some reason the club had a classical singer on stage. When I heard him sing, I felt electricity running through my body.”

I love his voice and he obviously loves singing. I really hope he can make something great out of his talent.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  14. michelle K

michelle K Active Member

15. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Thanks for the update.
    I hope that he continues his training; and has access to proper guidance - legal and financial help included - to allow him to make the most of his talent without being exploited.
    He deserves it.