Korean Plastic Surgery

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by snoopy, Oct 10, 2013.

1. snoopy

snoopy Team St. Petersburg

http://viewmixed.com/crazy-before-and-after-photos-of-korean-plastic-surgery-2/2809

I don't really have a comment on this but was just curious if anyone else did. The first time through I could see a lot of jaw work, then I went through it again and noticed alot of eye work too. Still can't tell what #2, 14, 15 had done. Obviously, there is a certain look that is desired.

I just had surgery and my throat was raw for a week from the breathing tube. I'll be living with my flaws since I really don't want to go through that again. Though I have now had surgery in a plastic surgery clinic and a hospital. The clinic was much nicer than the hospital - the hospital is chaos.
    :scream:

2. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

Wow..incredible.. They look so different before and after. They all look like film stars! I want plastic surgery too:saint:

3. puglover

puglover Active Member

I wonder how they changed the jaw lines on a few of those. I thought you had to basically live with the jaw you were born with - maybe a little bit of shaving but those look completely different.

4. PRlady

PRlady Smoking

I saw a TV story about this. The jaw changing is major, major surgery, not like a nosejob, and involves breaking the jaw :yikes: and six months of wearing an appliance. The chances of something going wrong are definitely there, affecting ability to eat and speak.

5. antmanb

antmanb Well-Known Member

Photoshop?

Seriously I don't think any "before" and "after" shots are ever the real thing and even if they have some basis in reality are photoshopped to such an extent to make them not real. Several of the pictures that i presume were to show new eye shape had a huge increase in the size of the iris....which isn't even surgically possible.

6. FunnyBut

FunnyBut Well-Known Member

Interesting links. It's well known among wealthy Asian women that Korea is the place to go for plastic surgery. Some of these photos are incredible, I also wonder if they are touched up. A few are scary, like Miss Martian Eyes.

7. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

#2 had her eyes lifted so they look more "open." Probably by tweaking the lid fold and brow bones to show more sclera. Sadly Asian eye types are often considered less desirable. (She's also either lost weight or is holding her head at a different angle and is wearing really pale makeup to make her face look thinner.)

8. DAngel

DAngel Active Member

Ugh! This again.... Her post-surgery eyes still look Asian. Seriously.

When Asians in Asia go for eye surgeries, they don't usually ask for Caucasian eyes or other race's eyes. They usually ask for a natural looking, double eye-lids - ones that look like the naturally occurring double-eyelid in Asians.

Maybe Asians living in western countries think "Asian eye types" are less desirable because they have to grow up believing their eyes are "slanted", but let me assure you, that is not usually the case in Asia.

9. Dr.Siouxs

Dr.Siouxs Well-Known Member

Who cares when you're :glamor:

10. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

In pretty much all of the examples, the "after" pictures also have more professional-looking glamour lighting, makeup, and hairstyle, and the facial expressions, while not smiling broadly, are slightly smiling instead of neutral or frowning.

So I have to wonder how many of these people would have been happy with their looks if given photos employing all those techniques without undergoing surgery.

Or how many were happy with the glamour photos after surgery but less happy back home in natural lighting doing their own makeup or wearing none.

Gazpacho and (deleted member) like this.
  11. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

I think one of the guys had a chin implant which is no big deal.

12. SmallFairy

SmallFairy Well-Known Member

No way all those photos are for real. Your jaw don't just disappear like that, even with surgery!With photoshop otoh...

One of the guys had surgery to look like One Direction:D:p

13. spikydurian

I think they are NOT photoshop. It is possible to change one's looks quite completely. This SBS Insight program titled "Beauty Race" showed the before and after of one girl. And man, she 'upgraded' whatever she could on her face. You can see the difference here.

Here's another vid looking at the phenomena of K-pop on plastic surgeries.

Not surprising. They choose whom they wish to look like!;)

14. snoopy

Thanks for those links spiky. Despite my bf dancing gangham style in the basement, I didn't know K-pop was such a big industry.

15. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

Yep. In many cases it's not merely a cosmetic problem--you can't CHEW because your jaws are so misaligned, and the misalignment can lead to a lot of pain, and the best solution is to break your jaw, graft, put in plates, you name it. Potentially really life-changing if successful, though--greatly improved nutrition, less pain. There were a couple of people there who clearly had major underbites or overbites.

(But yes, the lighting & makeup & hairdos made a huge difference, too.)

16. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

South Korea has the highest rate of plastic surgery in the world. ALL of their celebrities look exactly the same. This is not a coincidence.

I know exactly what I would "have" to get done to be an East Asian celebrity. This is how formulaic it is.

1. Double eyelid surgery. They would probably do something about how my eyes bug out too, but I don't want to know what. :slinkaway:
    2. Shave my jaw. I get my extremely angular jaw from my dad, and it would be like erasing my dad from my face. :( But no way is my face shape delicate and feminine. It would have be rid of.
    3. Hair transplants on the front of my scalp? I actually have a lot of hair, but you can't tell by my hairline. :p
    4. What the hell, remove a few ribs while I'm at it.
    5. Almost forgot! Nose job, duh! :lol:

Not all East Asian women have tiny frames, either. Many do starve themselves to be thin, and there is HUGE pressure to be thin.

I'm really glad my parents put no emphasis on my being pretty. (As it is, the only people who have described me as pretty are not East Asian. :p ) I have a Korean friend who developed an acid reflux problem because her mother insisted on her wearing a corset all the time, to train her waist. :scream:

Last edited: Oct 12, 2013
  17. Angelskates

Angelskates Well-Known Member

I have exactly the opposite opinion. Most, maybe all, of the Asians (living in Asia) I've ever spoken to have hated their Asian-looking eyes, and wanted non-Asian eyes, less slant, more open. Several friends have had surgery to get "Caucasian eyes". It's right up there with wanting white/lighter, less "yellow" skin.

18. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

This never made sense to me, because our "Asian-looking" eyes mostly stems from a distinct lack of browbones, along with the fat in our eyelids that make our eyes look smaller. (Although many Japanese have strong browbones.)

To make my eyes look like Alf's, they would have to do A LOT more than just give me an eyelid fold. And I expect the result would be rather Neanderthal-looking. :eek:

I think claiming to want "Caucasian" eyes is oversimplifying it, even though that's what many East Asians do claim to want. There are many Caucasian celebrities who are thought to be gorgeous, who have small eyes. And even people who've have the eyelid surgery, they don't look Caucasian, they just look like a more mainstream attractive Asian, and that's enough for them.

My lack of double eyelids always precluded me from being attractive in an East Asian sense. My sister has them with help from the genetic lottery (my mom does, but my dad does not) and she's been told many, many times how "lucky" she is. Just because her eyelids just happen to fold. I've since gotten over it, with a healthy dose of "eff you" attitude to whoever might think it was a flaw, but it was difficult when I was a teenager and cared about such things.

19. DAngel

DAngel Active Member

Obviously I can't speak for the Asian people you've talked to, but if you see before and after cosmetic surgeries photos, the after photos usually still have "Asian Eyes", just bigger, with double-eyelids. Some people seem to mistake these post-surgery eyes for "Caucasian Eyes". This is not so.

Most Asians get a blepharoplasty and not a Epicanthoplasty. The former will give a bigger "Asian eyes" with double-eyelids, the latter will give a "Caucasian Eyes". So these friends of yours, did they get the Blepharoplasty or the Epicanthoplasty?

Silly Asians... We all know white people tan like crazy to be more like black people....

20. snoopy

21. Lanie

Lanie Well-Known Member

This. I had an underbite. I could chew but it was screwing up my teeth and quite frankly I was sick of people telling me I was ugly so I got it fixed about six years ago. Best thing I ever did, despite the crappy recovery time of no eating for a month, blah-blah. I lost so much weight and felt so sick.

If I could I'd get a tummy tuck. I've always had a flabby stomach. I hate it. I'm short and don't weigh much, I should have a flat stomach. :drama:

22. rosewood

rosewood Well-Known Member

They tend to have plastic operations on their eyes, noses, jaws and foreheads in succession. Their "after" faces become drastically different from their "before" faces. However, their fasces become stereotype ones(like photo prints). Honestly speaking, I would have difficulties to recognize the specific one if some K-pop girls groups are shuffled. ;)

23. spikydurian

snoopy, look at this miracle! I can't believe the magic of plastic surgeries. :eek:The twins look so preeeeeeety now.

24. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

The eye surgery makes them look like characters from AstroBoy.

25. spikydurian

:lol: Well, I think they call it 'doe eyed' instead.