Knut the Polar Bear Dies

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by overedge, Mar 21, 2011.

1. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

2. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

Gosh, he was only four years old... :(:(:(

3. cygnus

cygnus Liberal Furry

:(

4. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member

So sad and strange.

5. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

Sad.:(

6. falling_dance

falling_dance D. Murakami's Newest Fan

RIP Knut. :fragile:

Cheylana and (deleted member) like this.
  7. marbri

marbri Hey, Kool-Aid!

Read in the article he was rejected by his mother at birth and that the three female bears in the pen with him weren't inviting him over for tea parties. Maybe there is a reason for this and that Knut wasn't meant to survive and only did so for four years because man stepped in.

8. Stefanie

Stefanie Well-Known Member

I'm glad I got to see him two years ago. He was so cute.

RIP, Knut. :(

9. Satellitegirl

Satellitegirl New Member

Very sad, poor Knut :(

10. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Rest in peace darling Knut. :(

11. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Well, then I'm glad man stepped in. I think they were four pretty good years. RIP, Knut.

12. marbri

marbri Hey, Kool-Aid!

I'm not celebrating his death. Just wondering out loud.

13. Skate Talker

Skate Talker Replaced the display under my name

In Canada they mention the normal life spans for Polar Bears in the wild and in captivity. In Winnipeg we lost our last Polar Bear, Debbie a little while ago - she was 42 - very ancient.

14. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Weren't they all in a zoo though? So man steps in for ALL the bears, not just the one the Mom rejected- though obviously they intervened more for him.

He was a cute little bear.

15. Andora

Andora Well-Known Member

I don't know. I remember reading a year or so ago that he was one unhappy polar bear once the cute factor started wearing off. His Wikipedia page has more info on how his life may not have been so fantastic.

RIP indeed, though. Maybe things could have turned around for him over time?

16. Beefcake

Beefcake Guest

Animals in zoos is a tricky subject, with many reasons why and why not, but I :respec: this view that they are important* ...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-12805534

*Trusting zoos to make the captive animals' habitats at least mostly suitable for said animals to be said animals.

17. Andora

Andora Well-Known Member

Thanks for the article, Beefcake. I'm not against animals in zoos (good zoos, anyways-- where they're properly treated, etc. etc., though that's always up for debate on its own). A few articles on Knut seemed to indicate something was really wrong for him specifically-- not polars bears in captivity in general.

18. StonewshMullet

StonewshMullet Well-Known Member

I think in nature he would have died while still a cub. Apparently he had brain damage which is probably why his birth mother rejected him at birth.

19. Flatfoote

Flatfoote Active Member

Amateur video of his collapse has surfaced. Don't click if you don't want to see.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/03/21/earlyshow/living/petplanet/main20045385.shtml

I wonder if polar bears can be stricken with vestibular disease. It's what eventually felled my 12-year-old dog a couple of years ago. Although the disease itself didn't really kill him, his inability to recover from it and start walking again forced us with the painful decision to put him down.

From the descriptions I've heard before seeing the video, Knut actually fell into the water and drowned before anyone could reach him. He's clearly distressed in the video, and just before he collapses, you can see a bunch of drool coming out of his mouth. Poor guy. :(

20. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Between the vet's opinion and that of PETA, I am going to go with the vet. :shuffle:

21. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

Especially since PETA didn't really get a chance to observe Knut before spouting off. :shuffle:

Sad though, he was a great ambassador. I had forgotten that his human "mother" died suddenly in 2008 too. :( Poor baby.

22. Beefcake

Beefcake Guest

Yes. Ironically timely ... here is the flip side of zoos -- a report today on the "lives" (such as they are/were) and deaths of animals in the Kiev Zoo.

Warning: Very disturbing ... read at your own heart's peril

23. Tinami Amori

Tinami Amori Well-Known Member

If humans want to see wild animals, the humans should be put in cages on wheels and driven through forests, wild nature, etc.....

Zoos are EVIL. Nature Reserves where animals run free, but are protected and observed, are another story...

24. Gypsy

Gypsy Watching the Leaves Change!