Knit or Crochet or Cross Stitch or... ~ FSU's Crafting Circle

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by AragornElessar, Jun 28, 2012.

1. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

One of my friends thought that said "yam." Kerning....:shuffle:

2. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

Although it seems like most of the posts here involved knitting, crocheting, cross-stitch, and the like, I figure this is the best thread to ask for advice on something I've been debating whether or not to purchase.

While I definitely will not ever become a seamstress or sew any actual outfits (my skills when it comes to working with patterns would make the shirt Denise Huxtable sewed for Theo look like a designer masterpiece :rofl: ), I would like to buy a sewing machine for simple tasks (like hems, repairs, etc.) and various crafts that require some degree of sewing (though nothing too complicated). I first learned how to use a sewing machine back in the 70s on my mother's Singer and got to where I was pretty good at sewing various stitches (sizes, zig-zags, and the like), but never mastered things like buttonholes (or other more complicated stuff).

Does anyone here have any recommendations for a sewing machine that is reliable, fairly simple to use, has at least some features that are useful, and most of all, won't break the bank? I've been doing some research online, and it seems like most of the machines that have the highest customer ratings and reviews are the ones made by Brother and by Singer.

I do have enough confidence that with plenty of practice (and patience), I might be able to learn how to make some simple items of clothing, but I'm more interested in sewing related to arts and crafts (ie., purses, stuffed animals, rag dolls, and the like), and if I get more daring, make an attempt at sewing scarves, and maybe skirts and hats.

Any help, advice, or recommendations from FSU's expert crafts would be greatly appreciated!! my fingers and thumbs have taken a real beating the past few months doing a bunch of stitching by hand that would have taken mere minutes on a machine, which is what made me finally decide that getting a sewing machine makes a lot more sense!

3. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

4. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

Thanks, kwanfan!! That thread took place after my home computer blew up from a lightning strike and didn't have any connection with the online world :drama:. I'll definitely check it out!

5. uyeahu

uyeahu Agitator. Sharpie lover (figuratively speaking).

I had to give up knitting and crochet because it makes my carpal tunnel act up, but I still like to sew and also make jewelry, a little stained glass and most frequently pottery. I've been avoiding this thread because all the ravelry links make me want to whip out the needles and I know how much my arm and shoulder will ache if I give in to it. I make yarn bowls instead. I post a lot of the stuff I make on my instagram if anyone wants to check them out. http://instagram.com/uyeahu

6. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

So hard not to be distracted by all of the :swoon:-looking food, uyeahu! Yarn bowls are a great idea :)

7. uyeahu

uyeahu Agitator. Sharpie lover (figuratively speaking).

Thanks Kwanfan. I'm one of those dreaded food photographers, but in my defense I also enjoy looking at everyone else's food photos. ;)

kwanfan1818 and (deleted member) like this.
  8. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

I love food photography!

uyeahu and (deleted member) like this.
  9. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

My favorite yarn store in Vancouver had its annual sale today, minimum 15% off the entire stock, including Addy's, the kind where 20 people are let in at a time, and you wait on line for 90 minutes to get in. I showed up 35 minutes before opening hoping to at least get early dibs, and wonder of wonders, miracle of miracles, I got in first group, and apart from snagging some yarn I've been eyeing for a specific project.at 20% off everything else I got was from the 50% off table. It's too bad I don't knit sweaters, because that's the only way Noro is within reach.

:slinkaway

10. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

11. OrioleBeagle

OrioleBeagle Active Member

Janome has good reasonably priced machines.