Knit or Crochet or Cross Stitch or... ~ FSU's Crafting Circle

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by AragornElessar, Jun 28, 2012.

1. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

That's another thing I'd love to give a whirl one of these days. It looks so pretty in the various magazines when they feature a Tunisian Crochet project in. One of these days...

YAY and Congratulations!!! The first time doing a turned heel is the toughest. Next time you'll be amazed at how easy it is to do. :)

Good luck w/the dish towels!!

2. vesperholly

vesperholly Well-Known Member

Working on more stock for my Etsy shop for Valentine's Day and spring/Easter. I really need to get going on more wood bead necklaces.

I just had my 150th sale and 200th shop "like" :cheer2:

http://www.etsy.com/shop/paragraphloop

3. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

vesperholly, that is really nice work. Like the shop name too :lol:

4. AragornElessar

Congratulations vesperholly!!! How were your Christmas sales?

5. vesperholly

vesperholly Well-Known Member

Great! I was making daily sales and sometimes 3-5 sales a day. It picked up around Thanksgiving and continued right through the end of the year. January has been pretty strong, though of course less so compared to December.

I received a message from a writer doing an article about local Etsy sellers for a local arts magazine (coincidentally, one I interned at during college). She asked for hi-res pictures for possible inclusion in their March issue, so that'll be exciting if I'm featured! :)

6. AragornElessar

Excellent news all around then. I'm guessing people are buying for Valentine's now, as it would make sense to allow time for shipping and whatnot. That would be amazing promotion for you if you do end up being part of the feature story. :)

7. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

8. myhoneyhoney

myhoneyhoney Well-Known Member

9. AragornElessar

10. skatefan

skatefan Well-Known Member

11. AragornElessar

That is....Different is all I can think of.

12. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

Argh, went to Urban Yarns today, which has the most beautiful selection of HandMaiden wools, silks, and silk/wool blends, all hand-dyed in Canada, and my stash just got little bigger. All because I took the wrong bus, and they were just five blocks off the bus route...

13. AragornElessar

...and the siren call was too loud to ignore? ;) :D

Been there, done that myself. "Oh, I'm *only* looking and then suddenly you wonder how on earth you're leaving w/such a huge bag of yarn.

14. AragornElessar

I stumbled across this last night while looking up something else about Jewelry making over at YouTube, and since I really like the way this lady does her Tutorials over there, decided to check it out. I'm really glad I did too, as it looks pretty easy to do...

Famous last words. ;) :D

Hugs and Kisses Bracelet Beading Tutorial

The nice thing about this one for me, is I can use some of what she did w/the "Foundation" of the bracelet and the big and little beads, I can play around a bit w/both beads/stones and wire, and it would work for a Tiara design. At least, I *think* I can. Won't know for sure until I give it a shot, but that might be awhile.

I hate running out of beads and wire and not being anywhere close to a Michael's or Dollar Store. At least w/Yarn and Crocheting/Knitting stuff, that's easy to find around here, but anything else in Crafting? Not a chance!!

Anyway...I thought there might be some of us on here who might want to try this.

15. myhoneyhoney

myhoneyhoney Well-Known Member

Finished the headwrap and I'm happy with the way it turned out. Now I need to get seriously cracking on knitting a baby blanket. I completely forgot about it and the baby shower is Feb. 16!!! The baby's not due until March though so if needed, I'll plunk myself down at the shower and keep knitting away, lol. yikes.

16. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

The baby will be in process still at the shower. I don't see any readon why the blanket shouldn't ;)

17. Marge_Simpson

Marge_Simpson Well-Known Member

I make jewelry, though I don't have much experience with bead weaving. But the bracelet is cute and I'll give it a go.
    I posted about this in the "relaxation" thread - one of the coolest things about making jewlery is you can make a fabulous piece for a fraction of what you'd pay in a store. I'm picturing that bracelet with Swarovski crystals and pearls, and it won't cost more than $15, even with a sterling clasp on it. And if I use glass beads it will be around $5. :HA!:

We have tons of bead shops in NYC, but I order from Fusion Beads sometimes. The "inspiration projects" section is great for new ideas.
    http://www.fusionbeads.com/

18. AragornElessar

Thanks for that link Marg. Have got it bookmarked for future use. Went through some of their "Inspiration Projects" and also tutorials and really liked what I saw. Easy to follow instructions and pictures to go along is exactly what I like in a crafting website. :)

Thanks again!!

19. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

20. emason

emason Well-Known Member

Too frickin' funny!

21. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

I just received an email that online yarn store WEBS is donating 5% of sales from 22-27 April to The One Fund to help those affected by the Boston bombings:

http://www.yarn.com/?utm_source=national&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=4-22-13-boston

22. Marge_Simpson

Marge_Simpson Well-Known Member

Anemone and (deleted member) like this.
  23. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

I just met someone who was knitting her wedding dress. In lace weight. :yikes: I have been totally outcrafted! :rofl:

24. Anemone

Anemone Active Member

25. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

I'd love to see the completed gown.

26. AragornElessar

Thanks for that info kwanfan. I'll pass the word along.

As above, I'll pass the word along Marge. Thanks!! Oh and isn't TGBSB addictive? I was looking over there for something else the other night, clarification on a new knitting stitch I'm trying out, and that was in the right hand side menu. So I checked it out. That was a mistake... ;)

You know, this is one of those times when we really need that smilie I've seen else where where the jaw just *drops* open. WOW!! Beyond impressed and I too would love to see that dress.

27. Andrushka

Andrushka Well-Known Member

Wow...I am tired just thinking about it.

28. Jodi

Jodi Caulkhead forever

I'm in a spell of mostly doing charity knitting at the moment, and I'm doing a lot of these hats because they're enjoyably mindless. It's also a fun little pattern for anyone just beginning to learn to knit as it's only a knit and purl rectangle before it's sewn into shape :)

29. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

30. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

So true!